Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 
New - Sort by: Most Popular or Newest (Read 12196 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

New - Sort by: Most Popular or Newest
Dec 17th, 2007, 2:33pm

A hot topic of discussion has been the order in which cards are displayed on shopping pages.  Many posts and explanations have been made about the "most popular" formula as well as relevancy for search results.

Those remain the same and can be read in this thread:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1190744140/8#8  

We are working on a shopping tool that will help shoppers quickly find the perfect cards.  We will not see this tool, which is along the lines of card characteristics and filters, until mid 2008.  

Until then, since the "most popular" formula tends to discriminate against new cards we have added a feature that gives new cards a fighting chance.

On all shopping pages in the upper right corner above the page counts, you'll now see Sort by: Most Popular | Newest.  The default will remain on Most Popular but the shopper can choose their preferred view on any page, at any time.

See example:  
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/cb.asp?keywords=rose%20bouquet

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Re: New - Sort by: Most Popular or Newest
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2007, 8:40pm

Mindy-

This sounds like a good interim option.  Now does that mean If someone searches for let's say: "Christmas, traditional" when the page comes up they will be in "most popular" order, but shopper can chose to view in "most recent" order?  and does the same apply if they go to an individual's card store?

Thanks for listening to us, as always. . .

-Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
Yassine_132473
artist

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2007, 9:47pm

Hello,

Thank you ! That's a very good idea !  Smiley

Ya

Greeting cards made by ya-graphic:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/yagraphic
Email   IP Logged
Hilly_132655
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2007, 12:22am

That´s great - I was hoping for that option  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Wendy_132744
artist

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2007, 12:26am

This is so cool.  Now we all have a fighting change.  
Otherwise the most popuar card will stay the most popular card, 'cos it's the first one everyone sees!

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2007, 12:30pm

Quote from Ernestine_131365 on Dec 17th, 2007, 8:40pm:
Mindy-

This sounds like a good interim option.  Now does that mean If someone searches for let's say: "Christmas, traditional" when the page comes up they will be in "most popular" order, but shopper can chose to view in "most recent" order?  and does the same apply if they go to an individual's card store?

-Ernestine

Hi Ernestine,
Yes, this is for card pages via onsite search results as well as category pages.  It however does not apply to artists' storefronts.

Mindy

Email   IP Logged
Shari_132735
artist

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2007, 3:07pm

Quote from Mindy on Dec 18th, 2007, 12:30pm:
Quote from Ernestine_131365 on Dec 17th, 2007, 8:40pm:
Mindy-

-Ernestine

Hi Ernestine,
Yes, this is for card pages via onsite search results as well as category pages.  It however does not apply to artists' storefronts.

Mindy

Is there a reason it was decided not to apply to the artists' storefronts?

Shari
www.flowerswithfeelingscentral.com

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2007, 3:35pm

The pages on GCU function differently than the storefront pages.  Would you be interested in this option for storefronts?  If so, would you as the artist like to set the sort or allow the shopper to choose?

Mindy

Email   IP Logged
Shari_132735
artist

Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2007, 7:19pm

Quote from Mindy on Dec 18th, 2007, 3:35pm:
The pages on GCU function differently than the storefront pages.  Would you be interested in this option for storefronts?  If so, would you as the artist like to set the sort or allow the shopper to choose?

Mindy

Hi!

Gosh, let me think... If I were a customer at my shop I think I would like control so I could choose from Most Popular to Newest.

However, being the owner of my shop I would like to be able to set the default start point either way, depending on what season it is, but would still like the shopper to be able to change from what I've set the default to be.

Would it be possible to give the shop owner the ability to set the default start point either way whenever they want, but allow the customer to change it once they are actually shopping on my shop?

Asking too much am I?

(fyi - I use to trouble shoot software for programmers as a past job to make intranet websites user & owner friendly.  Wink )

Thanks for any help in making our storefronts less frustrating & easy to use!

Shari

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2007, 8:13pm

Mindy

I believe I would like this feature on the storefront page---or in the 'search' results pages that come up when someone searches for someone's name and their cards turn up.  I searched my cards by my name and found cards for easter in front instead of the Christmas cards.   That would be nice to change the showing order.  Smiley

-Kerra

Icansketchu Paper Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/icansketchu
Email   IP Logged
Shari_132735
artist

Reply #10 - Dec 18th, 2007, 8:55pm

Quote from Kerra_131306 on Dec 18th, 2007, 8:13pm:

Mindy

I believe I would like this feature on the storefront page---or in the 'search' results pages that come up when someone searches for someone's name and their cards turn up.  I searched my cards by my name and found cards for easter in front instead of the Christmas cards.   That would be nice to change the showing order.  Smiley

-Kerra

Kerra,

We already have the ability to Arrange Order of Gallery when you go to the Administrative settings - Images & Cards - Arrange Gallery.  We can do that part, though the system, if I'm understanding it correctly, defaults to Newest first on the Storefronts.

However, having to Arrange the Gallery, Manually, is seriously a pain in the behind, especially if one has A LOT of cards.  I don't have a lot, but the ones I do have, moving the Christmas cards back to the top since that is the season it is now, was seriously tedious, time consuming and a royal pain.  If someone has LOTS of cards measure that feeling 100 fold.

Let me know if there is any other way we have control of our shop that I might have missed.

Shari  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2007, 8:59pm

Quote from Shari_132735 on Dec 18th, 2007, 8:55pm:
Quote from Kerra_131306 on Dec 18th, 2007, 8:13pm:

Mindy

-Kerra

Kerra,

We already have the ability to Arrange Order of Gallery when you go to the Administrative settings - Images & Cards - Arrange Gallery.  We can do that part, though the system, if I'm understanding it correctly, defaults to Newest first on the Storefronts.

Let me know if there is any other way we have control of our shop that I might have missed.

Shari  Smiley

Thanks, Shari--yes, I see that we can change our gallery on our storefront---but if you do a search for you name, the newest always comes up first as you noted--and that's not really what I want a 'searcher' to see first.  That's the part that I would support modifying.  Smiley
-Kerra

Icansketchu Paper Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/icansketchu
Email   IP Logged
Shari_132735
artist

Reply #12 - Dec 18th, 2007, 9:48pm

[quote author=Kerra_131306 link=1197930794/0#11 date=1198040390][quote author=Shari_132735 link=1197930794/0#10 date=1198040135]Quote from Kerra_131306 on Dec 18th, 2007, 8:13pm:

Kerra,

Shari  Smiley

Thanks, Shari--yes, I see that we can change our gallery on our storefront---but if you do a search for you name, the newest always comes up first as you noted--and that's not really what I want a 'searcher' to see first.  That's the part that I would support modifying.  Smiley
-Kerra

Wow, that's weird.  I just manually arranged my shop so all my xmas cards were first since it is that season.

Then I did what you said Kerra, I typed in my store name Flowers with feelings central,

The cards that appears first said it was in Most Popular Order, so of the 40 cards that I have on my shop that only 2 have sold anything to date, it showed my mom's Holiday Cottage as 1st which that is the first card that sold, and then the other card that had sold was in the 5th position and 3 other non seller cards were in between and after.

So what decides the most popular order when one does a scenario such as that?

Is there some logic to that?  I am confused... Huh Tongue

Email   IP Logged
Leta_132779
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2007, 4:19pm

We are on another site which offers to both the artist as well as the viewer to sort images by views, highest rated, or newest images.  I think your idea  would be a great addition to the site for all.  
As I said previously we are new to the site however I would also like an area to favorite your friends and other artists on the site to view their cards more quickly if possible.

Thanks for all your hard work wow what a job you have!

Leta

Sweetgrass Photography Card Shope:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/sweetgrass
Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2007, 1:26pm

Hi all,
We will add to our to do list giving shoppers and artists some type of "sort by" setting.

The ideal way to manage your store with todays tools (a better Manage Gallery Tool is on our to do list) is to put seasonal sellers in your Featured Products and only change that on a regular basis.  Ideally you'd position the Featured Products module above the Product Gallery so it is seen first.

Since manipulating many cards within your Product Gallery can be a bear, you should group them in most logical collections and not move them around throughout the year.  Allowing smaller sub-Galleries is also on our to do list.  

Cards in your Product Gallery are shown in the order in which you have set them.  New cards default to the top until you manage your gallery and move them to a different spot within your gallery.

As for search results, storefront or GCU wide, results are always shown in order of most relevant.  Most Popular has a an influence when any cards are equally relevant.

A search on artist name can produce varying results.  There may be words in your artist/storename that trigger relevancy in other cards in addition to your desired results ie: flowers, feeling, etc.

Leta,
We've had "favoriting" a store or artists on our wish list for some time now, it just keeps getting bumped down the list Sad  Thanks for suggesting.

As you see, we have lots on our list!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.