Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Metallic colors (Read 1621 times)
Lynne_196676
GCU Newbies

Metallic colors
Sep 15th, 2012, 10:57am

I am new to GCU and really enjoying it.  I would like to know the best way to do metallic colors - such as the gold on Eugenia Bacon's beautiful Buon Natale card (#116521). Can we use metallic Pantone spot colors?  Thank you.
Lynne

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

Re: Metallic colors
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2012, 11:41am

Hi there this is probably not very helpful but well it's sort of handy  

Mostly it's gradients, you would have a gradient on your text instead of a color, and you can also match that gradient as a stroke and put the slider down to make it smaller giving a golden edge...

Gradients vary on what type of gold you would like, you can always sample something golden and then make your gradient (I use photoshop) for example you would open the gradient and do :

#fae48f then in the middle #f5bd46 then the end 9f8400 and use reflected instead of linear or circular blend, but if you look up (photoshop or other) tutorial to make golden gradients you will find lots of tuts available and explained better Smiley I love getting something gold a ring necklace and using the color dropper to make my gradients as there are so many golds, and to put them on text is just a matter of gradient overlay..

Here is a tutorial that has the edge as well which can be a lovely effect and you can use any color even the color trends to do any kind of metallic blend, and experimentation is always fun Cheesy poke them buttons.
http://creativenerds.co.uk/tutorials/create-a-slick-gold-text-effect-using-photo shop/
and you can then save your style by double clicking your text layer and then you have it perma, lots of gold variations are always handy some stand out more than others.

You will find loads of them out there to play with, even now I like looking at lots of different methods even though I have so many gold's as it's great to learn new techniques.

I do hope it helps, I am not good at explaining, rather more showing Smiley  

Hugs
Moonie

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2012, 11:44am

Hi Lynn,

"E" may tune in and give you her secret recipe, but in the meantime I imagine most of us using Photoshop, use the same basic techniques.  

In Photoshop, you can get this effect and many variations of it by using a combination of gradients, inner glow, inner shadowing and lighting variations ... the easy way is to find one of the thousand of free downloadable Photoshop Styles.

That's how I create the gold look and feel on this one for examples:  http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/peacock-wedding-invitation-in-teal-907416?pi d=907416&gcu=43045123714

Email   IP Logged
Lynne_196676
GCU Newbies

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2012, 12:00pm

Thanks so much, Doreen and Tanya.  Very helpful!  Gorgeous card, Doreen.

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2012, 2:10pm

Here is another photoshop tutorial using a different technique - just swap out the green for a golden tone and you've got it! The link will take to you page 4 (last page) of the tutorial so you can see the final result first. This can also be adapted for illustrator.

http://www.adobetutorialz.com/articles/2970/1/Green-Apple-Style-Design/4

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.