Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

JPG Noise (Read 2189 times)
Evelyn_142919
artist

JPG Noise
Sep 30th, 2012, 10:11pm

Hi all,

Can any of you with commercial printing experience tell me if our printing co. has software for removing jpg noise? Some of my early images are in that format and I'd like to know if I need to clean them all up or not waste my time.  Roll Eyes

Thanks,
Evie

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Re: JPG Noise
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2012, 2:31am

I don't know of any software that does that automatically - one of our photographers may want to chime in here - as far as I'm aware, you have to use your normal graphics editing program (like Photoshop). I don't know what you use, so here's a link to a Photoshop tutorial that may help.

http://www.darrenhoyt.com/2007/10/10/cleaning-up-grainy-low-quality-digital-phot os-with-photoshop/

You can also do a search in Google or other search engine for tutorials for your graphics editing program of choice.

Corrie
http://gcucommunity.com

Email   IP Logged
Susan_142450
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2012, 4:49am

Not sure of the resolution you are starting with (which maybe more important than the item being jpg) - but there are tricks to reduces jpg and low res noise, but nothing that will truely recreate anything resembling a hi-res image. In short, reducing "noise" is telling pixels to combine their info  and create a more even blending (I may be explaining this badly) and so reducing noise may be lowering the sharpness.

Once the image is 150 or 72 dpi (at 5x7 for example), you will never be able to res- up and get an image acceptable for GCU. Many cameras shoot in jpg, but if you choose a large file size, that's a different story - the image is usually huge (in inches) and you can adjust your dpi and dimensions with no problem.

I use a book called "Photoshop Lab Color" by Dan Margulis that explains color correction, re-sizing images and more in LAB color and the reasons correcting in LAB is more successful.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2012, 7:46am

I have to agree with the others and no, I'm sure that GCU printing services don't have access to your image to work on it.

I have to guess that it's not that these images are jpg, but that they are of low-resolution that is causing issues.  I upload my standard cards to GCU as 300dpi jpgs and they are fine for this purpose, it's nearly impossible to remove low-resolution damage and/or artifacts well enough to have a high-quality image to sell.

Here are a couple of articles on the blog on the subject that might help:

Artifacts … the Facts http://gcucommunity.com/2012/03/19/dash-of-inspiration-artifacts-the-facts/

Understanding Digital File Types: http://salonofartnewsletter.weebly.com/1/post/2011/01/photography-tip-for-januar y-2010.html

Email   IP Logged
Evelyn_142919
artist

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2012, 12:27am

Thanks ALL for your input. My images are 300 dpi. After I close them once and reopen them, there will always be artifacts. Each time the image is opened it gets a bit worse. For the past 18 mos. or so, I no longer upload jpg's ~ only png's. But in the beginning I used jpg's exclusively.

Doreen, I didn't expect printing services to actually 'work on' my image, unless it was thru the regular printing process. Knowing the problems I'm having with jpg's, I thought they might have some form of auto-correction for jpg images.

Thanks everyone for the links!  Smiley

Evie

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2012, 8:25am

Quote from Evelyn_142919 on Oct 2nd, 2012, 12:27am:
Thanks ALL for your input. My images are 300 dpi. After I close them once and reopen them, there will always be artifacts. Each time the image is opened it gets a bit worse. For the past 18 mos. or so, I no longer upload jpg's ~ only png's. But in the beginning I used jpg's exclusively.

Doreen, I didn't expect printing services to actually 'work on' my image, unless it was thru the regular printing process. Knowing the problems I'm having with jpg's, I thought they might have some form of auto-correction for jpg images.

Thanks everyone for the links!  Smiley

Evie

Hi Evie ... that is typical of a compressed file format.  Jpgs should never be opened, worked on and re-saved, you will see noticeable degradation each time it is re-saved.  Files should be worked on in a non-compressed format so that anytime you open to make a change it does not re-compress, then after the changes you save as a new jpg to replace the old one.  Now I get what you are experiencing Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Evelyn_142919
artist

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2012, 7:45am

Thanks, Doreen, for your input on this topic. I read your article on artifacts ... it was very informative and enlightening! And I appreciate your helpfulness on this forum, and Corrie, Susan, and others who are always eager to help. Your contributions are one of the reasons GCU is the Best!  

♥~♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥~♥

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.