Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Irony of Earth Day cards (Read 977 times)
Picture_131439
artist

Irony of Earth Day cards
Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:49am

Did anyone else consider the irony of creating and sending paper cards for Earth Day?  I didn't create many, but those that I did create I also offered in a Ecard format as well, since it struck me as a bit funny that someone would mail a paper card that would likely end up thrown away and in a landfill for a day dedicated to improving the enviroment.  We have a year to ponder this, but I wonder if there's a creative way to present the cards so they are "reusable" in another manner after reciept, add a tag line to remind the receipent to recycle the card, or ???

Email   IP Logged
Rick_133603
GCU Newbies
artist

Re: Irony of Earth Day cards
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:11am

WinkI read your input regarding Earth Day.Perhaps there is a way to create "value" to each card so that it goes beyond being a throw-away item.I also sell Greeting Cards locally and forsee the moment when I will start signing each on the back.Time itself then may help the card to accrue in value or worth.This is in regards to selling locally in a place where your name is known.What a shame to see these Beautiful Greeting Cards being tossed into a landfill in the end.Re-useable by all means!!!And excellent idea to insert tag-line.Re-cycle has many paradigm shifts.Bravo

Email   IP Logged
Janie_133125
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:31am

I was just thinking the same thing.  Huh Perhaps we can design cards that can be passed along with each recipient signing the card and giving it to someone else ...  and a "please recycle" symbol on the front of the card.

Or perhaps we could design and market cards in honor of Earth Day that are frameable and could be used to decorate offices and dorm rooms.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:20am

Does seem a bit counter productive...

Clever idea of including a message to reuse the card, like "psst, pass it on".  This would be particularly appropriate with a message like "everyday should be earth day" so they're inclined to share the card outside of the holiday.  Maybe the card includes some interesting facts about the earth/environment or the history of Earth Day.

In addition to people wanting to keep or frame your lovely card art, perhaps you could come up with some other type of "keepsake" like a bookmark.  I personally use all kinds of odd items as bookmarks.  The front of the card could be designed so the recipient is instructed to cut it into strips (maybe 3) and have 3 bookmarks that ideally would carry a message and bookmark appropriate design.  

Just some thoughts  Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:48am

I think Mindy mentioned this before. . . we ARE in fact supporting the environment with the creation of cards offered on a POD such as GCU.  ONLY the cards used and sent are printed.  Consider ALL the cards that get get thrown away at Walmart, Target, and local stores that are not purchased!

Let's not be hypocritical, if we are here on GCU, we want to sell PAPER cards as we believe there is a market for the physical tangible greeting card.  Not everyone has a computer or chooses to use one.  Personally I think it's a little "tacky" to send an e-card to Mom on Mother's Day or e-card your Christmas list.

I do not look forward to a day when ALL written and visual information comes to us via a TV or computer screen!  As long as there are books being published in hard cover and paperback there will be paper greeting cards and our only hope is that folks WILL hang on to and cherish those images we create AND do the right thing disposing of them should they choose.  A little education goes a long way on that.

I remember creating posters for the 1st Earth Day when I was in college and was horrified to see those posters blowing around campus and in trash cans days later.  But then just days later we had other things to deal with like the college shootings and the war. . . hmmm, has a whole lot changed since then?

Email   IP Logged
Picture_131439
artist

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 1:50pm

I agree it's tacky to send e-cards for a variety of occasions-mothers day would certainly rank up there as one of them (it's almost like saying oops, I forgot to get a card or worse, I was too lazy or cheap to get a card).  I'm sure there are certain exceptions to this though, as there are to everything.  Sympathy cards would also rank up there as poor taste as an Ecard, at least IMO.

That said, I still think it's odd to send a card specifically to celebrate a day set aside to promote protecting the enviroment.  I don't think it's bad to create and send paper cards in general, just that it's not quite appropriate for Earth Day.  UNLESS there is more to it that just a card.  That was where I was going with this.  Trying to find unique ways to encourage re-use and recycling of the card (whether it's just tossing it in the recycle bin, framing it, passing it on, creating a way to make it a card and a bookmark, etc).  Maybe even something that points out it is a card from a POD, and why that helps the enviroment.  That could even be a push to people to buying from PODs, once they understand the concept and benefits.

I thought maybe as Artists, we could get together as a community and brainstorm unique ways of presenting and creating these cards that would not only make them more marketable (I mean, what would you think if you got a paper card telling you to celebrate Earth Day) but also highlight the creativity that is here and maybe find a unique niche that could lead to more sales.  I can image more people sending them if they saw a secondary use or unique message that really promoted the purpose of the day.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.