Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
template and actual printed cards (Read 25399 times)
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Re: template and actual printed cards
Reply #45 - Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:41am

I didn't know this until recently, but the greeting card fold-line is not centered (not at the 5-inch point on a portrait card).  They purposely make the face-side 1/16th-inch or so wider so that the card is easier to open.  And this 1/16th-inch is also not exact, as the folding machines have some variation.  It could be zero, or it could be 1/8th-inch, or anywhere in between.

I'm curious to see how much of the front-side image ends up on the backside of the card given that the front should be wider.  It could be dangerous putting any info in this fold space as at times it might end up partially on the front once all the machine tolerances are taken into account.

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #46 - Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:37am

Quote from Tom_133317 on Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:41am:
I didn't know this until recently, but the greeting card fold-line is not centered (not at the 5-inch point on a portrait card). They purposely make the face-side 1/16th-inch or so wider so that the card is easier to open. And this 1/16th-inch is also not exact, as the folding machines have some variation. It could be zero, or it could be 1/8th-inch, or anywhere in between.

I'm curious to see how much of the front-side image ends up on the backside of the card given that the front should be wider. It could be dangerous putting any info in this fold space as at times it might end up partially on the front once all the machine tolerances are taken into account.

Hi Tom,  

In our own tests, we've found that 1/10 inch usually ends up on the back of the card.  You're correct that this will vary slightly from print to print because of machine tolerance.

Email   IP Logged
Harry_132595
artist

Reply #47 - Feb 23rd, 2008, 1:54pm

Quote from Shaun_131054 on Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:37am:
Quote from Tom_133317 on Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:41am:
I didn't know this until recently, but the greeting card fold-line is not centered (not at the 5-inch point on a portrait card).  They purposely make the face-side 1/16th-inch or so wider so that the card is easier to open.  And this 1/16th-inch is also not exact, as the folding machines have some variation.  It could be zero, or it could be 1/8th-inch, or anywhere in between.

I'm curious to see how much of the front-side image ends up on the backside of the card given that the front should be wider.  It could be dangerous putting any info in this fold space as at times it might end up partially on the front once all the machine tolerances are taken into account.

Hi Tom,

In our own tests, we've found that 1/10 inch usually ends up on the back of the card.  You're correct that this will vary slightly from print to print because of machine tolerance.

Hello Tom & Shaun

I'm not sure that fold issue applies here.  Looking at finished cards it really looks to me like the cards are cut after they are folded.  This seems to result in a very even edge.  And compared to other cards the GCU cards are extremely consistent on the size and edge conditions.  Although the centering of the face image consistently does favor the fold.

I got my template card back and while it didn't work as I'd hoped it did confirm some things.  When I made my template my goal was to find some information to help make some consistent and even borders, I didn't know about the 5.2x7.2 size at the time and calcualted a somewhat larger image size.  That image was clearly printed to "fill" the 5.2x7.2 area and the same thing happens with a 5x7 image size.  The image will be enlarged and borders will consequently not come out as even on a finished card when trimmed.

I got 2 copies of the card and both were identical as far as centering goes.  I'm not kidding when I say identical either.  You can flip the cards against each top to bottom and they still match.  These images are centered to an increment that is barely visible, if visble at all to the naked eye.

So I created another test card to print.  It's a 5.2x7.2 image. I'm gonna print it both horizontally and vertically.  Again we'll see what happens.

Sorry folks I just get a little nutso about finding out stuff like this ... I'll get a real kick out of it if I can get a template that will make it possible to get an exact even border on all four sides.      

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #48 - Feb 24th, 2008, 8:45am

I also received my first GCU card yesterday. The quality is fantastic.  Thank you GCU !

For this first card,  I uploaded a 1500px2100p image, as recommended, and my background color was tan.  On this card, the background color wrapped around the fold 3/32".  As I mentioned in an earlier post,  in order to make greeting cards open easier, the printer people fold the cards slightly off center, making the front slightly wider than the back. On the GCU card I received, this was also true, but the difference was pretty small. about 1/64-1/32".  I do believe this means cards are trimmed before they are folded.

Here is a base pic of the card-back with the front image wrapping around the fold as we have been discussing. (NOTE: NOT ALL GCU CARDS WILL MATCH THIS)
http://www.fearlessthinkers.com/GCU/GCU_back.jpg

Here is a close-up of the fold area:  (NOTE: NOT ALL GCU CARDS WILL MATCH THIS)
http://www.fearlessthinkers.com/GCU/GCU_fold.jpg

And here is an example of the character size that would fit in this area on this card. (NOTE:  I don't recommend this area be used at all.  Try it at your own risk.)  
http://www.fearlessthinkers.com/GCU/GCU_fold_area.jpg    

Hope this adds to the discussion.

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Dustin_133010
artist

Reply #49 - Feb 24th, 2008, 8:59am

Hi Tom,

Rather than tell people not to use that area at all, I would tell people to give it a try and see how they like it. I am very pleased with how it looks on my printed cards.

I have ordered 13 of my cards, and on none of them was the area on the back too thin to keep the type on the back.

Once GCU has set it up so that we can have an actual credit line on the back of the card, I won't go to the trouble of setting it up in that overlap area, but for now I am glad to have a copyright line and my URL. I use 6 pt. all caps so that there are no ascenders or descenders on the type.

Dustin

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #50 - Feb 24th, 2008, 9:49am

I have to say, Dustin, that it is a very clever idea, and I love it when people are creative this way.  I have, however, been buying up various Greeting Cards in stores, ones similar to mine in style,  and am a bit shocked at the variability in the fold point, as well as in how much of the bleed wraps around the fold.  Even at GCU, there are a number of factors that could shift some of this bleed-fold area to the card-front, and GCU has already told us via the template and other guidance, to stay out of this area.  Perhaps they will charge the artist for cards customers return with this issue.

This is what makes me cautious about using this area myself, but others can do what they want  

I'd love to see a photo of your fold area, and I will post it if you can't (email me).

Email   IP Logged
Dustin_133010
artist

Reply #51 - Feb 24th, 2008, 10:50am

Tom, I would be glad to send you a photo, but have given away all my cards. I'll order another one and photograph it when it arrives.

Dustin

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #52 - Feb 25th, 2008, 9:23am

Well Dustin - as soon as you said you would order another card, I got an email from GCU that said someone ordered one of your cards via my Widget.

It looks like you had clicked on my widget via a link in one of the other threads I was involved in over the weekend, prior to you ordering your card.  I suspect I shouldn't be given any credit for the sale, but it might be the way it has to be as it would be a little tricky, I think, for GCU to filter out artist purchase anomolies like this.  I'm sure they will catch this and respond.

It is nice, though. to see 50 cents sitting in my earnings page finally.  I think I'll stare at that page over lunch and enjoy it while it lasts, as I suspect it will get  reset back to zero shortly.  (hint hint)

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Dustin_133010
artist

Reply #53 - Feb 25th, 2008, 9:37am

Well, I'm glad you are enjoying the sale. I did notice your website URL on your earlier post of the images of the card fold, so I went to check it out. That's great that you have published some books.  

I just went back to your website now to see your widget, and I don't remember clicking on it, but I guess I must have! Odd that you would get a commission when an artist that is already logged in to GCU buys one of their own cards, but I guess the automated program isn't sophisticated enough to discern that. Don't spend the profits all in one place!

Dustin

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #54 - Feb 25th, 2008, 9:57am

I'd rather GCU take back the seller's commision, as likely this sale cost them money.  

Email   IP Logged
Dustin_133010
artist

Reply #55 - Feb 25th, 2008, 10:01am

That was supposed to be a joke, Tom. I guess I need some lessons in how to be funny. (Maybe I should buy one of your books!)

DK

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #56 - Feb 25th, 2008, 10:19am

Dustin and Tom,
I just noticed your posts about the widget, and had to add my two cents.  I ordered some valentine cards not long ago going to my store to place the order without using a widget and was notified that the sale was made through a widget.  I am 100% sure that no widget should have been involved in the sale to myself.  There is definitely something odd here.  I think Dustin said he did not remember clicking on a widget either.  Anyway, thought I would add some more information so that maybe this would help the GCU folks sort things out.  Hope it helps.   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Dustin_133010
artist

Reply #57 - Feb 25th, 2008, 10:33am

Thanks, Kathy.  

FYI: You referred to me as a "he" when in fact I am a "she." I know most people think of Dustin as a male name, but I was actually born before Dustin Hoffman became famous and anyone had heard of the name!

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #58 - Feb 25th, 2008, 10:42am

Hi Dustin,
Please accept my apologies!  You are right, when someone becomes famous that seems to define names.  I won't make the mistake again, though.  Thanks for clearing that up for me. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #59 - Feb 25th, 2008, 10:46am

That's interesting Kathy.  

I just so happened to use my single "store credit" just now (not sure how I got it, actually) to send out one of my cards to my Mom in New York.  

I received 3 emails due to this transactioin: 
The first was "you sold a card through your widget" and earned 50 cents.
The second was "you sold one of your cards" and earned $1.00 (.50 + .50)
The third was "thanks for the order" with nothing charged (as expected).

These may be just standard emails and the accounting system will sort it out, but I don't think we should get paid anything when free credits are used.  But then again, that might be just the way it works.  

I better shut-up before it really costs me something. lips sealed

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.