Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Private gallery cards (Read 3202 times)
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Private gallery cards
Mar 12th, 2008, 9:24am

OK, here may be a new one.  I signed up for one of the Reminder Services here and today got an email reminder to send my brother a Birthday card.  His birthday is in 7 days.

I first thought to take one of my cards, change the front caption to customize it, upload it, and then send it once approved.  But then I decided against this.  Why?

1.  I've had several cards sitting as PENDING for several days.  I can't tolerate a delay for this card as it also needs to be mailed coast-to-coast.

2.  I've used this image 3 times before and it might be rejected based on the 3-use rule. (I've had other's rejected on the 4th version even though there were 3 different captions on the 3 prior versions).

I ended up making a GCU photo card instead which bypasses approval, and now the card is in the queue to get printed, and will be mailed perhaps even today.

SO HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
===================
1.  Are Private cards exempt from the 3-use rule?  Will the reviewer know this if we mark it Private after uploading it?
2.  Are Private cards able to bypass the approval process, or at least be guaranteed a 24hr turnaround?  Usually private cards are customized and are time-sensitive requests.
3.  How do commissions apply?  I used my Artist discount code but it seems I won't get a artist commission on this photo card.  No big deal, but it would be nice to know how this works.  

Thanks

Email   IP Logged
Dustin_133010
artist

Re: Private gallery cards
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2008, 9:30am

Hi Tom,

I have made private cards twice, and both times they were approved instantly. I think it has to do with there being no profiles for private cards.

Dustin

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2008, 9:38am

Private cards appear only in your Private gallery - they are not searchable among GCU's "general population" cards, and are not visible to customers unless they click the link in your store. Private cards do not require approval as far as I know because of their unique character, and I'm pretty sure the 3x rule doesn't apply either.

Where commissions are concerned... that's a question for GCU admin. I think - don't quote me on this - that an artist can have *either* the 50-cent discount on a card bought for themselves, *or* the artist's discount, but not both.

Corrie
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2008, 10:25am

Thanks for the responses.  I went ahead and tried uploading a Private card, and sure enough, you can click "private card" in the create card process and all the category and profile steps vanish.  Upon SAVE though, it ends up as a PENDING card and has not shown up in my Private Gallery instantly as I had thought it might.  It appears private cards might need to be approved too.  I suspect there are several things GCU likes to check, such as spelling, trim issues, and other things, but I've never read what they do exactly.  

I think we can order our own cards, private or otherwise, for an effective cost of $1.49, but I'm not sure artist created Photo Cards generate an artist commission.  I'm sure someone will chime in on these questions.

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2008, 10:49am

Hi Tom,
Private cards will still need to be approved by the staff here at GCU, although the turnaround is usually much quicker since we don't need to check keywords, categories, profiling, etc.  These cards are usually approved within 24 hours.  

The 3x rule does not apply to private cards.

You can still receive your artist discount and artist commissions for these cards so the effective cost is in fact $1.49.  

With Photo Cards, you can receive the artist discount, but you will not receive artist commissions.  

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2008, 10:56am

I am confused...What are you guys referring to as 'Photo cards'?
Thanks,
SueB

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2008, 11:02am

Thanks Shaun.  Good info!  Not sure many of us knew these details.  At some point a comprehensive and indexed FAQ file update might be useful for artists.

SueB - Hi.  GCU lets "shoppers" make their own greeting cards called Photo Cards.

Go to the paper cards category page;  there is a LINK in the upper left area.  You can use your artist discount code but you won't get a commission.  It's a good option is you are in a time crunch like I was.

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2008, 11:05am

Gotcha!  Thanks, Tom.  And how are things going in your shop?
Have you heard anymore from the Big Guys?
All the Best to you.   Cool
SueB

Quote from Tom_133317 on Mar 12th, 2008, 11:02am:
Thanks Shaun.  Good info!  Not sure many of us knew these details.  At some point a comprehensive and indexed FAQ file update might be useful for artists.

SueB - Hi.  GCU lets "shoppers" make their own greeting cards called Photo Cards.

Go to the paper cards category page;  there is a LINK in the upper left area.  You can use your artist discount code but you won't get a commission.  It's a good option is you are in a time crunch like I was.

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2008, 11:16am

My shop .... hmmmm ..... a lot of "clickers" mainly.  

I did send a batch of art out to the "Big Guys" as they requested, so I hope to hear something soon.  I mainly want to be on their list to submit work on a regular basis.  Hope all is well with you!  You're nudging me a few weeks ago squeezed 30 new cards out of me;  now up to 130 or so.  I may need another nudge though!   lips sealed

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2008, 11:31am

You're cute, young man.  If I were to nudge you, it would be to say, "Great going.  Keep at it."  I am still amazed that you had the forethought to take something like old photos and put them together with your great sense of humor.  I applaud you!
SueB

Quote from Tom_133317 on Mar 12th, 2008, 11:16am:
My shop .... hmmmm ..... a lot of "clickers" mainly.

I did send a batch of art out to the "Big Guys" as they requested, so I hope to hear something soon.  I mainly want to be on their list to submit work on a regular basis.  Hope all is well with you!  You're nudging me a few weeks ago squeezed 30 new cards out of me;  now up to 130 or so.  I may need another nudge though!   lips sealed

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.