Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Stock Card creation question (Read 635 times)
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Stock Card creation question
Aug 16th, 2019, 1:45pm

Hi GCU community ... I've been away for quite a while (dealing with life off-line), and feeling very much like a stranger in a new land -- so much has changed.  I keep seeing references to Stock Cards using either BigStock or Shutterstock images.  Can anyone tell me how it works, or point me to the Newbie instructions on this feature?  

I've searched the forum and the blog, but mostly what I've found are tips and advice for those who already know how to get started with stock cards.  Do you need to sign up for permission to do this?  Not sure if it's something I want follow through with, but if I could find a thread or intro on it, at least I can make an informed decision.

I recently fractured my ankle and suddenly found myself with lots of extra time sitting around with my foot elevated, so I thought I'd come back here and try make good use of this unexpected time off.  Still trying to get used to all the new tools and requirements, but looking forward posting some holiday cards.

Off topic ... I just want to thank the Reviewer/Reviewers who welcomed me back and have been so helpful explaining the new submission requirements and the advice links.  I'll try to get up to speed quickly and not take up so much of your time on future submissions.  Thanks again!   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: Stock Card creation question
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2019, 3:04pm

Welcome back, Teri! Sorry to hear about your ankle, ouch!

You don't need to sign up when you're already an artist on GCU, go to your Admin page and scroll down to
Images & Cards
     Create a Card - Stock Card Creations
Use licensed images from Bigstock.com - learn more  

Here is a Learn More link on the forum:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1385169412

Once you access all of that, I highly recommend go through the following articles as this is not the easiest tool to work with until you get used to it.

Keep in mind the following:
1- GCU wants solid added value in the message of these cards, so no blank cards and no images without a unique message are generally approved.
2- Before you take the time to use an image, check the category you want to place it in and make sure it hasn't already been used for that occasion/holiday.
3- Stock cards will show PRIVATE while awaiting review, so don't fret about that.
4- You decide the category and add that to the Notes to Reviewer field prior to submitting.  
5- Each month we have a Design Challenge on the blog and every other month, that challenge is Stock Card only, so consider joining us every month.
6- Stock cards may be returned for edits - BUT - this means you start over with the image if the mistake is on the card front, so be sure to use ellipsis correctly, proper punctuation, spelling, etc.

There is a dedicated page
https://gcucommunity.com/stock-card-creations/

https://gcucommunity.com/2014/02/21/nuts-and-bolts-big-stock-guidelines/

Good luck!

I enjoy them so much that I created a whole separate store for my Exclusive Creations! It's addicting!
https://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/ExclusiveCreations

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2019, 3:59pm

Hi Doreen,

Thanks so much for your reply!  Good gosh, I must be going blind -- LOL -- I didn't even see that option under "Cards & Images".  

Will definitely read through the "Learn More" like you provided.  Been reading many of your blog posts the last couple of days.  Very helpful tips and good advice.  Thank you for all the time you've spent writing and making it easier to catch up on what GCU is looking for these days.  Not sure if I'll try my hand at the stock cards, but it could be helpful in certain cases.  I'll have a lot of reading and testing to do before I decide, LOL.  

I looked at your new shop Exclusive Creations last night when I was looking for info on stock cards.  Beautiful cards and amazing work, as always, from you!  I don't know how you juggle all the balls you have in the air ... you should write a book on time management.  You're clearly a wiz at it!  

Hope all is well with you, and everyone here at GCU.  Looking forward to catching up with everyone who's still here and meeting the new folks.  

Thanks again for your prompt reply and kind help.  You're the best!

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2019, 10:51am

@ Doreen ... just wanted to say Thank you again!  Your helpful tips and articles were invaluable in testing out this cool new tool (well, new to me, lol).  

You're right, the tool takes a little getting used to, and some patience in getting the text and typography to look appealing.  But there are a lot of wonderful possibilities for "Wanted" cards and categories that are light in supply.  I have a client who owns a coffee shop, so I tested this out and created a card I can show her.  Despite the learning curve for me, this was really a handy time-saver -- and fun.  If it gets approved, I'll submit it for the August Design Challenge.  

I'll continue reading through more articles and forum posts -- that's been very helpful too.  Thank you again for your help with this, as well as for the time and efforts you've given to putting out comprehensive help articles for us.  Very best wishes and continued success to you!   Smiley   -- Teri

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2019, 12:21pm

You are very welcome, Teri! Really glad to hear the tips helped and that you gave it a try! Here if you run into any troubles. Happy creating!  

Quote from Teri Francis_131425 on Aug 21st, 2019, 10:51am:
@ Doreen ... just wanted to say Thank you again!  Your helpful tips and articles were invaluable in testing out this cool new tool (well, new to me, lol).  

You're right, the tool takes a little getting used to, and some patience in getting the text and typography to look appealing.  But there are a lot of wonderful possibilities for "Wanted" cards and categories that are light in supply.  I have a client who owns a coffee shop, so I tested this out and created a card I can show her.  Despite the learning curve for me, this was really a handy time-saver -- and fun.  If it gets approved, I'll submit it for the August Design Challenge.  

I'll continue reading through more articles and forum posts -- that's been very helpful too.  Thank you again for your help with this, as well as for the time and efforts you've given to putting out comprehensive help articles for us.  Very best wishes and continued success to you!   Smiley   -- Teri

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.