Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Raccoons in the news (Read 1268 times)
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Raccoons in the news
Aug 24th, 2015, 4:43pm

I know we have at least one artist here who loves raccoons (Laurie Schneider), so I thought I'd mention that there is a Wall Street Journal articles about them today and their "habitat" in Toronto.  See more here: http://www.wsj.com/articles/toronto-vows-to-outsmart-its-raccoons-1440373645?tes la=y

Email   IP Logged
Laurie_139933
Gold Member
artist

Re: Raccoons in the news
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2015, 6:32pm

Thank you for sharing, it was very interesting to read but unfortunately all their efforts and money will be wasted because raccoons will get into the new bins. Raccoons are very intelligent animals and nothing will stop them if they are hungry enough. Testing was done on several raccoons, they were given 16 complicating locks to open and they were able to open all of them. Then they introduced them to the same locks a year later and they remembered how to unlock every one of them without hesitation. Some experts believe that raccoons are as intelligent as primates, I personally do not have any experience with primates so I cannot compare but I do know raccoons are very intelligent. Sadly, they have lost so much of their habitat that our garbage is their only food source. Which unfortunately is very harmful to their health. Raccoons need a very specialized omnivore diet. Sugars, red meat and many other foods can cause them health problems which more often than not proves fatal. I have many years of experience with raccoons and one thing I know for sure is they are one of the most amazing animals I have ever been privileged enough to work with. My boys just turned nine in April and they still amaze me with their intelligence, it seems the older they get the smarter they become. Sorry for going on and on but my passion is raccoons and your post offered me a opportunity to speak on their behalf! Smiley Hugs, Laurie, Rocky, Bullwinkle and Sugar Bear

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2015, 12:31pm by Laurie_139933 »  
Email   IP Logged
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Re: Raccoons in the news
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2015, 3:49am

You're welcome. Thanks for sharing your experiences with raccoons and speaking on their behalf!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.