Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Do you copyright verses? (Read 2477 times)
Liz_131570
artist

Do you copyright verses?
Aug 20th, 2012, 6:29am

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you copyright your verses?  And if so, do you mind sharing your expertise, sharing a link, or sharing a website on the subject?  I've researched the topic, but it's always good to hear from someone who is an expert.  Roll Eyes  

www.greetingcarduniverse.com/lizmountain

Email   IP Logged
Elizabeth_194909
GCU Newbies

Re: Do you copyright verses?
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2012, 6:38am

Technically you should not have to copyright anything, as soon as the verse is written by you on paper, it is yours and yours only.  Someone obviously maybe purchased a card with this verse and used it in the guestbook.  If you want to REGISTER your copyrightfor law reasons or court, then you have to register it through the US copyright office and that's like $35 dollars per registration.  Best you can do for now it simply state in the artists notes that it is your work and that it cannot be reused without permission

Email   IP Logged
Liz_131570
artist

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2012, 6:54am

Quote from Elizabeth_194909 on Aug 20th, 2012, 6:38am:
Technically you should not have to copyright anything, as soon as the verse is written by you on paper, it is yours and yours only.  Someone obviously maybe purchased a card with this verse and used it in the guestbook.  If you want to REGISTER your copyrightfor law reasons or court, then you have to register it through the US copyright office and that's like $35 dollars per registration.  Best you can do for now it simply state in the artists notes that it is your work and that it cannot be reused without permission

My thoughts exactly. Thank you for your input. I'll state I own the verse in artist notes.

Email   IP Logged
Elizabeth_194909
GCU Newbies

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2012, 7:06am

No problem.   It kind of sucks that you have to be so wary of your stuff. I would be beyond frustrated.  The reviewers are just doing their job, but sometimes it can be a little unfair.  I had a card rejected twice until I gave up because I wouldn't provide a link to the photographer who was on the card.  It was my photo! But oh well.  Keep chuggin.  I hope it gets resolved for you, I love your cards they are beautiful and your verses are lovely

Email   IP Logged
Dorothy_139071
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2012, 7:10am

I posted this a little while ago on another thread but you can register your verses and poems for free at

http://myfreecopyright.com/

You receive a digital fingerprint of items that you register. You can register poems, verses, photos, images, blog posts, audio files, etc and it is free.

I recently joined there myself and copyrighted a few things. Take a look and see if its something that can help you.

Elizabeth is technically correct when you say you don't need to register copyright but to be honest there are so many thieves out there and most times copyrighting (even paying for it) doesn't really protect you but it will help here at GCU if your cards are turned down for any copyright problems with graphics, photos or verses. In theory anyway lol.

Hugs, Dorothy

Email   IP Logged
Elizabeth_194909
GCU Newbies

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2012, 7:12am

Awesome, Dorothy, I'll have to remember this website.  I am trying to start a tattoo and logo design website and I am really worried about people stealing my art work.  Thank you!

Email   IP Logged
Dorothy_139071
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2012, 7:41am

I just was informed on the other thread that myfreecopyright.com has a new owner and some poeple's accounts were deleted. Not very nice. SO if you want to steer clear of that one there is another site that offers free digital copyrights:

http://www.freecopyright.org/

Can't vouch for it thought as I've not used it. But try searching "free copyright register." You might get a few more sites to look into. There has got to be an easier way to at least prove to GCU that you own and created something yourself. So many copyright theives out there.

Hugs, Dorothy

Email   IP Logged
Alda_133805
artist

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2012, 7:43am

Liz, by law you own anything that you create as soon as you put it down on paper, however you should put your copyright notice on all of your work to be on the safe side. To save $$ you can also submit collections of your verses to the US Copyright office instead of submitting them one by one. You can also mail yourself the verse/design when you create it and then don't open it when it arrives. The post mark on the sealed envelope is your proof of when you created the piece if any legal issues should arise. You should also add a copyright notice to your website/blog etc. stating all rights reserved, etc. Hope this helps.

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2012, 8:05am

http://www.copyright.gov/

I have copyrighted a lot of my stuff over the years.

bright

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Donna_156115
artist

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2012, 8:26pm

Liz I have a copyright on all my work thru Legal Zoom.. Smiley

Donna Collins

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.