Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Mother of Son-in-Law/Daughter-in-Law? (Read 3518 times)
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Mother of Son-in-Law/Daughter-in-Law?
Apr 28th, 2012, 8:47pm

I'm stumped. My daughter is blessed to have a very dear Mother-in-Law who has become a good friend to me. I want to send her a Mother's Day card, thanking her for being so good to my daughter as well as raising her son to be such a wonderful husband and father. But I can't figure out what to call the Mother of a Son-in-Law (or Daughter-in-Law).
She's not a Sister-in-Law. She's more of a "Co-Mother". I can't recall ever hearing a title for the mother of one's Son/Daughter in-Law. Perhaps someone outside the U.S. has a title for this woman . . .
Anyone out there have any ideas?
We could be the first card company to come up with a name for this very important person in the life of our sons and daughters!

Email   IP Logged
Christi_179654
artist

Re: Mother of Son-in-Law/Daughter-in-Law?
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2012, 9:10pm

The best I can come up with is "my daughter's very special mom-in-law" or "second mother" if you're that close.

Curious.  I hope to see someone post an answer for this one!

Email   IP Logged
Ginger_137412
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2012, 9:21pm

How about "Happy Mother's Day to the other Mother of our Children"
or "Happy Mother's Day to the other Mother of our Wonderful Children".  Roll Eyes

Ginger

gingcard designs greeting cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/gingcard
Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2012, 10:06pm

These are both good ideas. I guess she'd fall in the "Other Mother" category. Still, we really need a definitive name. On Facebook, I often get requests to verify Family Relationships. I've looked on that list, too, and have found nothing suitable. Let's keep working on ideas. . .   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2012, 1:55am

I've found the term "relative-in-law" in the free dictionary under the thesaurus. Synonyms for mother-in-law.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mother-in-law

Not sure if it is appropriate or what you are looking for.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2012, 8:23am

What's wrong with Son-in-Law's Mother or Mother of my Son-in-Law?  She is technically an in-law because of her relationship to your daughter's husband - so his side of the family are all in-laws to your daughter.

My mother and my husband's mother were on a first name basis and cards to each other were more general, not relationship specific.  

I think you are complicating matters to try and 'define' a name for that relationship . . . but that's just from my own experience.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Bettie__142065
artist

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2012, 10:32am

Doreen's  answer was what I was going to suggest.That's what I call my sons'in-laws when I have ocassion to do so

Bettie

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2012, 1:37pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Apr 29th, 2012, 8:23am:
What's wrong with Son-in-Law's Mother or Mother of my Son-in-Law?  She is technically an in-law because of her relationship to your daughter's husband - so his side of the family are all in-laws to your daughter.

My mother and my husband's mother were on a first name basis and cards to each other were more general, not relationship specific.  

I think you are complicating matters to try and 'define' a name for that relationship . . . but that's just from my own experience.  Smiley

That spells it out pretty clearly. The reason I'm wanting an actual term, is for the purpose of categorization. If I use "Other Mother" as the category, I may only use it once and I'd need 2 different casrds: one to Mother of Son-in-law, the other for the Mother of Daughter-in-law. As far as I know, there is no place there for both.

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2012, 8:54pm

My late Mother-in-law, dear sweet lady, used to call the other moms, "in laws."  So if she introduced one of her children's spouse's mothers, she would say, "This is my in-law, Lana, my son-in-law Jeff's mother."  That seemed to be a nice and clear way to say it.

But, I like that you're friends with these lovely women and would suggest that you consider making cards for them for the "friend" category.

But, I do understand that you're trying to come up with a relationship name, and I don't know that there is an official one, but, I like the "in laws" idea.

Have to agree with Bettie and Doreen, about keeping it simple.

RE:  The two different cards:  If you change the cover text on the cards, making each one for the different relationship, son-in-law's mother, daughter-in-law's mother, you can put them both in the same category.  Remember that changing the cover text changes the "image."

I Hope this helps!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2012, 11:07pm

RE:  The two different cards:  If you change the cover text on the cards, making each one for the different relationship, son-in-law's mother, daughter-in-law's mother, you can put them both in the same category.  Remember that changing the cover text changes the "image."

I Hope this helps!

Penny Smiley

[/quote]
Thanks, Penny. Somehow I forgot that if the front text is different, I may still put them in the same category.

Email   IP Logged
Angela_151919
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2012, 4:10am

Hi Ramelle
How about ...
Mutual Mom?

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #11 - May 1st, 2012, 2:22pm

Agreed you'd call these you "in laws".  In general these cards would go in >> Other and would be best found via keyword search by shoppers.  However I can see the value of such wonderful relationships particularly on Mother's Day and Father's Day as good in laws can prove to be like another set of Moms & Dads.

In light of that we've added:
Mother's Day >> For Daughter's Mother in Law
Mother 's Day >> For Son's Mother in Law

Father's Day >> For Daughter's Father in Law
Father's Day << For Son's Father in Law

Here you go!

Email   IP Logged
Leah_196941
GCU Newbies

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2012, 11:27am

I personally call my mum and father in-law

mama and papa

My mum would call them by their first names and if buying a card would simply buy an occassion card that represented the occassion.

If you feel as close to her as a sister (and there are many relationships that fit this) perhaps what is needed instead is something like

'I Love you like a Sister'

and for men

'My brother from another mother'

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.