Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
NEW - Custom Front Cards / Photo Cards & Text (Read 44988 times)
Renae_139784
artist

Re: NEW - Custom Front Cards / Photo Cards & Text
Reply #75 - Aug 6th, 2011, 7:41pm

Cindy...you're my new BFF, cause you feel my pain! ... LOL

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #76 - Aug 6th, 2011, 8:23pm

Quote from Mindy on Aug 5th, 2011, 3:27pm:
An update on the stock placeholder photos.  If there are areas or subject matter that we have not addressed we are willing to consider additions.

Find what you'd like us to consider on iStockphoto.com and post a link on this thread to the image(s) and please state why.  (ie: would like some multicultural families in the spring)

A future feature of the stock placeholder images will be the ability to upload and use your own images.

Hi Mindy,

First may I offer my opinion (when don't I  Grin) that I think allowing us to upload our own images as placeholders is not a good idea.  Here's why for what its worth:  I think when customers see all the same faces and pet mugs on photo cards it is a much more professional display then having a menagerie of both good and poor quality 'none stock photo style' photo cards to rummage through.  If some of us have photos that we are currently using as placeholders and have the right to offer them, perhaps we could offer them to GCU to add to this nice collection for this purpose, otherwise my vote is we grow the iStock offering into something that suits all needs and keep these cards looking slick and professional.

With that said, I had some needs and thoughts so I went to iStock and hunted.  Just food for thought of course:

I'd like to see more business for Business/Corporate Holiday cards and a variety of 'professionalism':  #12074329, #12107860,#214466, #11537092

I’d like to see a few with a bit of a western flair for ranchers, farmers and general cowpoke that send out annual greetings:
#13602201 , #4579476, #6500099, #914648

I would like to see portraits a little more suited to Hanukah and Bar Mitzvahs:
#15013583, #663141

We do need a few more pets, I found a couple to use for the occasional bird, fish, hamster photo cards which encompass a variety of pets and then we should have a few with more than one cat or dog. I know I've done a few custom cards here that had more than one pet in the photo.  #8936112, #13749801,   #6612079, #2921053, #16032311

I’d love to see more black and white; they can really make a design desirable and entice sales…that’s been my experience anyway.  I found them hard to come by on iStock, any chance we can turn some of what you have into BW for a 2nd option of the same image?  Here are a few I found.
#416223, #863513, #8938350 #691639  #13750297 #5974393

Something New Year appropriate for those cards would be nice  #9255440, #14754635,  

We need some twins for our baby announcements, christening/baptism and graduation cards:
#17114882, #13731350, #16427716, #13852703, #15293585, #5886693, #10557941, #10557634, #9850564, #7927953

Triplets: #14765735, #3160222

I’d like to see a couple more Halloween portraits if we have any chance in selling Halloween Photo Cards the image inside has to inspire the buyer by fitting the theme:  #9309944, #14167854, #10682951, #6925762, #11035705

There was a call for more multi-cultural and I found these I though were wonderful additions:
#10374949, #16830576,  #6870753

Generally my feeling is that more 'theme related' the placeholder is, the better the design looks, the bigger the sales.

Probably just made you wince with this list didn't I?   Grin

Oh and...we need a square and rectangle logo placeholder!  PLEASE!  Even just something that says Your Logo Here is cool with me.

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2011, 12:40pm by Doreen_137017 »  
Email   IP Logged
barbara_133221
Gold Member
artist

Reply #77 - Aug 6th, 2011, 11:50pm

Hi Mindy, Shaun,
Don't know if I should post here, or support forum, but here goes:
When making a photo card, the text always looks distorted. It only appears normal when going into the "card preview" mode. You do have this text : "Note: You'll need to use "View Card Preview" to see your text in its finished format". Is it possible to have the text appear normal after saving text, without having to go into the "view card preview" mode?
Second point: I had made a card, then changed the card image, text and placeholder photo (and saved).
When going into card preview mode, the deleted, old image and photo and old text appear, it takes nearly 30 or 40 seconds till the new, correct card, text and photo appear (I'm on broadband, high speed). This can be confusing for a customer, as they will  click on a card with lets say a blue background and a family of three, and when going into the preview mode (after changing text) will come up  with a red background and a family of 2 Roll Eyes As I said, the correct image and text only appears after 30 seconds, and many customers will not wait that long and will think that there is a technical fault Tongue or that it's not working embarrassed

I tried to include a screenshot, but I do not know how to insert one in a forum post undecided
Will send screenshot as an email.

Otherwise, I'm delighted
 Smileybarbara

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2011, 1:26am by barbara_133221 »  
Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #78 - Aug 7th, 2011, 3:44am

Both Doreen and Barbara's posts state my feelings exactly.  If I weren't awake, I would think I had posted my thoughts in my dream Roll Eyes   Doreen, I didn't check out the actual photos, but thanks for taking the time to research more photos for all of us.

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #79 - Aug 7th, 2011, 5:19am

I ran into some other questions. I don't know if I should be posting it here, but they all relate to the new photo card editor. Huh

1) How do we rotate an image?  
2) When I have more than one image placeholder, one picture bleeds into the other image area.  Can I set one on top, and one on the bottom layer?  

3) I need more vertical pictures

I am really enjoying this process Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #80 - Aug 7th, 2011, 8:52am

In the process of updating my current photo cards I have come up with the following questions:

1. Do we need to delete all previous custom cards from our private gallery?  I often refer to a card there as an example when I am working with a customer on a custom card and have left many in my gallery, especially custom graduation cards.

2. Will custom cards still be offered via the custom link ("Request a Custom Card from Artist") after September 1st?

3. Should we still make custom photo cards that are relationship specific?  For example:  For Father's Day, I have photo cards for Dad and for Grandfather.  I could put the name in the custom template (if the available fonts are appropriate), but will the customer realize they can change it?  Same question for year specific photo cards.  Possibly we could put "Add Name Here"  or "Add Date Here" on those cards?

The new photo cards and text edit process is super and I'm having a great time updating and creating these cards.  Appreciate that you made the professional placeholder images available.  The quality of these images makes the cards pop!  I agree with Doreen that you should grow the iStock offering and not allow use of other images.  

Thanks,
Kati

Email   IP Logged
Christie_131341
artist

Reply #81 - Aug 7th, 2011, 12:24pm

Okay, I made my first card and it worked with some effort and thinking I understood how to get everything aligned.

BUT, my second card is giving me a lot of trouble...I don't see anyone else mention this, so maybe I am doing something wrong.
I can not get the picture to stay centered in my transparent window.  Will there be a problem putting a horizontal image in a vertical placeholder?  Is there a limit as to how much the image is allowed to stick out on the side?
I have to enlarge the image to fit my placeholder and the subjects fit fine...but, when I preview it, the whole image shifts to the right and cuts one of the subjects out.
Size: W: 1808, H: 1218
Position: X: -375, Y: 109 (it is like it does not like the extra part of the image sticking out on the left side)
Any insight?
THANKS!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #82 - Aug 7th, 2011, 12:34pm

Quote from Christie_131341 on Aug 7th, 2011, 12:24pm:
Okay, I made my first card and it worked with some effort and thinking I understood how to get everything aligned.

BUT, my second card is giving me a lot of trouble...I don't see anyone else mention this, so maybe I am doing something wrong.
I can not get the picture to stay centered in my transparent window.  Will there be a problem putting a horizontal image in a vertical placeholder?  Is there a limit as to how much the image is allowed to stick out on the side?
I have to enlarge the image to fit my placeholder and the subjects fit fine...but, when I preview it, the whole image shifts to the right and cuts one of the subjects out.
Size: W: 1808, H: 1218
Position: X: -375, Y: 109 (it is like it does not like the extra part of the image sticking out on the left side)
Any insight?
THANKS!

I have experienced the same issue.  The system during preview seems to do an auto-center of the image and I would also prefer it didn't do that.  Like Christie, I've had to enlarge to fit and then wanted to place the image where it looked best but the system centered it.  Its almost a must that the customer be allowed to position without auto-centering or you'll have very frustrated customers, so I'm with Christie can we all have this little fix?

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #83 - Aug 7th, 2011, 1:18pm

I ran into the same problem as described in the two posts directly above and was obliged to come up with different solutions to get past the system's limitations and complete my design looking somewhat acceptable.

Therefore I'm adding my vote - or plea - for canceling the automatic centering (and allowing the photo to extend far beyond the card's edges) as I also believe that many photos that will be used by customers will require exact placement to look best.

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #84 - Aug 7th, 2011, 3:12pm

Well that's interesting, I have been putting the placeholder all over the place and sometimes it extends beyond the edge of the card, but it has never automatically centered or changed after I sized and placed it where I wanted it - even when I preview it.  I don't try to have the placeholder match the defined transparent area.

Hope they turn out all right.

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #85 - Aug 7th, 2011, 3:30pm

Greetings!

Thanks to Doreen for doing all of the research at iStock for more photos!

YES, to more black and white images!  Black and white photography is classic and timeless, and could really make our designs POP!  

About being able to SKEW the photos:  YES, please!  Wouldn't that be great?  

***  Look on the 'photo cards' page and see the wonderful Christmas card that Eugenia made for Mindy's family:  The photo is skewed and it's a black and white photo, too!  And so beautiful!

And, if I may add my 'vote' to using our own photos, or staying with stock images, I'm voting for stock images!  Overall, the site will look so much more attractive if we're all using the same quality images.  Let's face it, anyone can 'take a picture,' but not everyone is a photographer!  (I'm the classic, oh, bleep, my brother has the Christmas tree topper growing out of his head, photographer!)

For what it's worth!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #86 - Aug 8th, 2011, 6:41am

Hello everyone, I imagine you were all creating these fun photo front cards this week end.  My question was asked a few days ago about what happens when the customer expects us to insert their photo, and I was assured that this would not happen because the customer will have all the means to insert it themselves.  However now that I have created several Christmas photo front cards, and looking them over today, I notice this link under each card saying: "click here to ask the artist to insert your photo at no extra charge"
so I am wondering again, are we expected to insert their photo, if so how do we do that?

It is no doubt an easy process, since no one else seems concerned, however just my luck someone will purchase my card, click that link and I won't know what to do.  

Please, is their a video that teaches this somewhere?  Or easy instructions.  I have no problem with the stock photos while creating the cards, while the card is in that creating mode.

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #87 - Aug 8th, 2011, 7:02am

I had some issues this morning with the text box in the new photo card feature.  When I change the font to a white color and press save, it looks like a scrambled mess of words with a bar code next to it.  I couldn't read the Happy Holidays on that screen.  But when I went to Preview, it showed up normally.   undecided

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #88 - Aug 8th, 2011, 7:06am

How about something appropriate for Halloween too - maybe some kids in costumes.  I made one that I set up with a cat and I know it's just not appropriate.  Thinking for costume parties.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #89 - Aug 8th, 2011, 7:52am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 8th, 2011, 7:06am:
How about something appropriate for Halloween too - maybe some kids in costumes.  I made one that I set up with a cat and I know it's just not appropriate.  Thinking for costume parties.

I thought of that too and its on the list above for Mindy to look at Smiley  Gottcha covered!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.