Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
New Contact Artist & Custom Photo Cards (Read 10669 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

New Contact Artist & Custom Photo Cards
Oct 13th, 2009, 5:49pm

As previously discussed on the forum we will be putting some additional focus on Custom Photo Cards hopefully in time to catch some Winter Holiday sales but also for all year 'round.

There are several online sources for photo cards that offer a wonderful selection of designs and powerful user editing tools.  We do not plan to compete in that do-it-yourself market but instead would like to highlight GCU's strengths.  The appeal is REAL artists for a truly unique and CUSTOM photo card and at no additional cost.

Shoppers will still need to communicate with the artist and email photos to be used in the card.  This is not a do it yourself product for shoppers but a custom designed product with your assistance.

Here are some steps GCU will be taking over the next week or so...
1) Available Now - a new "Custom Requests" setting in your Admin page under Global Preferences.  The default is set to YES.  If you do not want to receive custom requests you need to set this to NO.  This new setting applies to ALL of your cards, it can not be managed on a card by card basis.
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/community/edit_globals.asp

2) New Contact Artist icon -  will be added under ALL thumbnail images.   This will replace the caption icon for card ratings & comments.  From this new Contact Artist icon, shoppers will be able to submit directly to the artist any comments, questions and Custom Requests that are card specific.

3) New Custom Photo Cards Category will appear on the main All Cards page

4) Promotion - Custom Photos Cards via many vehicles including a Custom Photo Card promotional/landing page, Blog, Twitter, email, Homepage, Photo Card page, etc.

WHAT CAN ARTISTS DO?
1) Create photo cards for all different occasions!  

See current photo cards here in Collections >> Photo Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/cb_wide.asp?cid=1117

2) Categorize  
Custom Photo Cards should be in the Photo Cards subcategory within the holiday/occasion AND in the appropriate Collections >> Photo Cards subcategory.

For Example a Christmas Photo Card would go in these 2 categories:
Holidays >> Christmas >> Photo Cards
Collections >> Photo Cards >> Christmas

3) Artist's Notes
Indicate in your Artist's Notes something along the lines of "I will put your own digital photo in this card for you.  Please contact me."

4) Card Image text
In the photo area of your card design consider adding some instructional text like "Your Photo Here" or "Contact me to put your Photo Here" or include a sample photo with watermarking text over it.

5) When you receive a Custom Request email contact the shopper asap to confirm their request, attain their photos and give them your private gallery URL.  Create their cards as PRIVATE and FastTrack them.  Shoppers will be able to shop their card(s) from your Private Gallery.

See here re: Private Cards & Gallery:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1192215943/10#10

Please let us know if you have any questions.  This should be fun!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Re: New Contact Artist & Custom Photo Cards
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2009, 6:09pm

Wink

Oh great! I've actually copied and pasted this topic to my notepad and saved it in my GCU folder, so I can refer to it later!  

I like the idea of creating custom personalized cards, (photo cards) for every occasion.  Just today I requested two new categories for wedding/engagement and 'save the date' photo card categories, which I think could be quite popular.

Putting these custom ordered cards into our Private Gallery and Fast Tracking them is really 'key' here!

Thanks so much for the update.

Smiley
Cherie

Email   IP Logged
Pamela_135500
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2009, 6:35pm

Wow!
Can't wait to try this, I had better get busy Wink
Pamela

Email   IP Logged
Liz_133634
artist

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2009, 7:34pm

This sounds great, but I do have a few questions.

* Will there be criteria for the customer on the requirements for the photo needed to make the card?  I work with customers and photos in my day job and know that many do not understand pixels, dpi, etc.

* Suppose the picture they send is not good quality?  How involved do we get with the customer ... back and forth emails, instructions, etc.?

*Once the customer contacts us and send the image and we add it to the card, are they committed to place the order?  

* Are the artist's commissions the same for these cards as the regular cards and since this type of card is usually ordered in some quantity, are they subject to the various promotions offered on GCU?

* Can we turn the "contact us" on and off in our account if we are going to be away or unavailable?

Sorry for all the questions!

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2009, 10:31pm

Good questions Liz ... I have some too.

1.  What does the customer see if our global preference is set to NO?

2.  Shouldn't this free service require a minimum order size, or at least a suggestion to that effect before they contact the artist?

3.  Why do we have to be restricted to a rectangular photo card design (like all the free sites), or do we?  As artists we can integrate their photo deeply into a scene, colorize the photo, etc.  Perhaps we should show on the home page the possibilities from a sample photo and contrast it against the "boxy" approaches by those other guys ...

4.  Perhaps have a special promo code that lasts through Christmas that is very appealing to shoppers, such as FREE shipping on Qty 25+ custom photo cards ,,,  

Interesting innovation ... !  Smiley

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2009, 2:47am

This is great!  I work with customers on photo cards on my other sites and locally and it works quite well.  I was concerned at first about poor quality photos but all has worked well so far.  If a photo comes through low dpi, I often give it a boost in photo shop. But, the neat thing here at GCU is that I don't have to print or ship.  Whoopeee!

Now, if only we could add decorations to the inside of the card, it would be perfect.  I found that customers really like cards with inside decorations and quotes.

Thanks for the great addition!
Kati    

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2009, 3:03am

Thought I would show what I meant by inside verse.  Here's a sample of a card that has inside information.  Inside left has interesting legend and lore info about flower.  Inside right has special verse about the flower.

http://www.zazzle.com/foxglove_dew_card-137077678223860784

Kati

Email   IP Logged
Sally_131513
artist

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2009, 7:42am

The idea is great but if it is for one (simple) Free is ok but i would rather it be for a min.  if the request involves a ton of things to do.  I see some are saying indepth things.

I do think you should leave it at the one size!!!!  Please!!

Sal

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2009, 8:34am

This is an interesting idea.  Can't wait to see how the customers respond.  I have a couple of concerns--one I don't want to be responding to requests every day of the week so I am planning to put Requests are responded to Monday through Friday in my artist notes.  I hope that is okay.  Also, I am wondering how these cards will be ranked as the current popularity formula takes sales into consideration and none of the cards we load in the public gallery will ever be sold?  
I personally was just planning on having a customer send me a photo and then I will size it to whatever size is needed for the card.  I'll just see how this works and go from there.  
Looking forward to this new addition.
Kathy  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2009, 11:11am

FROM MINDY's POST:

2) New Contact Artist icon -  will be added under ALL thumbnail images.   This will replace the caption icon for card ratings & comments.  From this new Contact Artist icon, shoppers will be able to submit directly to the artist any comments, questions and Custom Requests that are card specific.

QUESTION
Does this mean that you will be taking away the ability to review cards?  If so, may I place a vote for replacing the Favorite Icon with the new Contact Artist Icon therefore leaving us artists the ability to receive reviews?

I really don't want to loose that and the Favorites doesn't really seem to do much, does it?

Email   IP Logged
Avis_134613
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2009, 11:36am

Sounds good Mindy...but are there going to be tutorials for how to make them for some of us that never have? Huh

It sounds like it could mean extra work for possibly bigger sales, I would be interested in the pricing schedule on these cards too.
I like the idea to be able to turn the 'yes' to a 'no' if you'll be away or unavailable, and as I work shifts, it's hard to say whether the yes would be a no more often than not?
Sounds like a great opportunity, and I know they'll go over big! Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2009, 11:46am

Does this mean there will no longer be a spot for comments and ratings?

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2009, 6:42pm

Hi Everyone,  

Thanks for the feedback!  To answer your questions:

1. There will be a minimum size requirement for the image uploads, we're not entirely sure what this will be at this point, but we will have something in place before launch and we'll share this info with you as it becomes available

2. If you receive an image you cannot use, you will be able to contact the customer directly, as you will have their email address

3. The customer has no obligation to buy, just like the current card request process works

4. The artist commission structure for these custom orders will be exactly the same as commission for standard cards

5. Artists will be able to turn the "Custom Requests" feature "on" or "off" through a setting on your Global Preferences page.  For example, if you're leaving for vacation you can turn the feature off, and when you're available again, you can turn the feature back on.  The changes are instant.  

6. If an artist has turned off the "Custom Requests" feature, the "Custom Requests" icon will be grayed out and will not be clickable.

7. Artists will be able to set a required minimum order size in the Global Preferences area.  For example, if you set your minimum order size to 25, then when the customer clicks the "Custom Requests" icon they will see a message along the lines of "This artist can create custom designs for quantities of 25 cards or more"  

8. You will not be limited to a simple rectangular design.  Since you'll be working directly with the customer you can get as complex as you would like, as well as incorporate multiple images.  We'll have a landing page to explain this new feature to customers and compare our features to other sites

9. We will have promotional codes available for this feature

10. We are only allowing customization on the front of the card, we are not adding this functionality to the inside of the card.

11. Artists will have a short "notes" area on the Global Preferences page to include any additional information they would like to share with the customer.  For example, if you're not available to do custom work on the weekends, this can be mentioned in this area.  

12. This feature will take the place of the Review/Rate icon on the category page.  The Review/Rate feature will be moved to the Card Details page.  

13. We're still looking into how the ranking method will work for these cards.  We'll provide more info on this as it becomes available.  

If there's anything I missed, please let me know.   Thanks again for all your feedback!   Smiley

Shaun

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2009, 7:49pm

Shaun,

Thank you so much for doing such a wonderful job of answering our many questions!  I know that took quite a bit of time and it is truly appreciated!

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2009, 9:06pm

shaun i found where to opt in on the customs but... couldn't find the minimum button-is it not active yet?

"Artists will be able to set a required minimum order size in the Global Preferences area.  For example, if you set your minimum order size to 25, then when the customer clicks the "Custom Requests" icon they will see a message along the lines of "This artist can create custom designs for quantities of 25 cards or more"

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.