Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Just me, down here.... (Read 1340 times)
David_133145
artist

Just me, down here....
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:15pm

I had to share my Earth day images.  
I've sold 6 cards since joining, so selling is not an issue.  
Just trying to put a spark where I can.
I have apparel available in my cafe site anyway.
I might miss the "Mother's day" rush.
The "Pol;ar bears are cool poster" is now the official poster for PBI in the Zoos and stuff.  I was pretty surprised, as actually it was a whim. They told me that since it's my art, it's mine to distribute.  They apparently have  a thing about me still being a starving artist.
They suggested I offer signed editions.    
Sure wish I knew how to market anything.
All I want is to get my copy of "Golden Compass" and kick back into the lush environment of the wonderful work those people have done.

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Re: Just me, down here....
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2008, 10:25pm

SmileyHi David...Dosen't PBI have a Marketing dept. that would be willing to share Info with you...You would think...capt.

Email   IP Logged
David_133145
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2008, 10:55pm

Duuno.  When the PBI folks picked me up it was (is0 my best deal.  They will make sure I am marketed.  I am completely incapable of doing that myself.
When it comes to marketing, I am my own worst enemy.    
Lately I've heard some amazing descriptions of my work. "Masterful""brilliant""remarkable" etc.
I've no idea what those things mean.  Ideas and images simply, or not so simply, come to me, go thru me, and end up created.
I love the part when I draw the image.  It's cool.  If I am trying to make it myself, it won't hapen.  If I let it flow as it wishes, it is easy.. almost too easy.
Really, just having to log in each time afriend sends a post in response to one of mine is a burden.
Sonner or later, I'll sell some t-shirts so I can get a few groceries.
Ya always ben supportive my friend Captn.  You are a gem.

Email   IP Logged
eugenia_131318
artist

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2008, 11:00pm

David
I'm a bit puzzled as to what you are looking for (if anything Cheesy) however I can recommend these for learning a little about marketing art (no affiliations, sadly)

http://artmarketing.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21

and  

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/2007-Artists-Graphic-Designers-Market/Mary-Cox/ e/9781582974293

Email   IP Logged
David_133145
artist

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2008, 11:25pm

I'm a bit puzzled as to what you are looking for
Thank you Eugenia.
I am aware of th methods to do marketing and submissions.
I am incapable, pretty much.  
How does one stop drwwing to pursue that?
I have had it on my plate to re-submit ot the powers that be for months.
Projects of creative and subjective importance which are constantly artistically intriguing keep me doing what I do.
Please diregard my whining.
I never should have mentioned it.
But thank you for the response and the information. That was generous.

Email   IP Logged
eugenia_131318
artist

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2008, 11:30pm

I'm with you on that - I've always said I need a wife Shocked

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2008, 5:54am

David,
I think you are in good company here.  There are many of us who find ourselves in the same boat.  The artistic types don't often have the business/marketing motivation sorely needed.  You know I recently went through an old high school year book found in my Mom's attic.  I was amazed to read the inscriptions from my classmates all through it.  Over and over again I found, "What would Sue Thibodeau be without her gorgeous singing voice?"  
Well, I never did any marketing with that voice, and now it's gone.  What would I do?  Here I am, folks.   Roll Eyes
And Eugenia, you said it so succinctly!  I think all 'artistic types' should have a wife!
Brilliant.   kiss
Sue

Email   IP Logged
Gina_133039
artist

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2008, 7:23am

Marketing...  Tongue uggh...  There never seems to be the right time or, should I say, enough time.  I tend to get lost in the photography... it's like it takes over my body and mind, and then when I resurface, groggy and giddy from the thrill of capturing whatever has caught my eye, I have no choice but to pour over the photos, critiquing and smiling, glad that I got that shot or frowning and wishing I hadn't missed that shot ... you know the drill, for creating is creating, whatever the medium... marketing is secondary... the thing is, even if I never made a penny off of my photography, I would do it anyway, because I love it, and that, to me, is the most important part.  The rest, as they say, will come... so for now, I just let the chips fall where they may and hopefully, someone with more time and money than me will find a chip and say "hmmm.... I like this" and the rest will be history.  Best of luck David... and congrats again!   Smiley Have a nice day, all...

gina

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.