Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Local selling and the UPC (Read 3151 times)
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Re: Local selling and the UPC
Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2008, 6:43pm

Thanks Mindy.  A bit disappointing, but understandable.

I’d encourage GCU to still “noodle” about how to better leverage all the artists’ work that is here.  As it is now, the “online only” model generates sales of 250 cards/day spread across over 1000 stores (based on the last report).  For the average GCU artists to even make $5/day (10 cards/day), the sales volume would have to grow to 11,000 cards/day.  That won’t happen anytime soon.

Many GCU artists could sell 10 cards/day locally right now with a small-card stand placed in several local gift shops.  This could substantially increase GCU sales volume, with say, 100 artists ordering 10 cards/day to restock their stands.  I think this begins to be attractive with a sub-$1 artist card cost.  Can you think of any way that this could be achieved, perhaps with min qty per card type or something?

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #16 - Mar 6th, 2008, 2:25pm

Mindy!
10 cents a card?!?
Now that is something to get excited about.  I hope that we all can help grow GCU to the point where this is possible.  
What a great community this is..a place where we can freely brainstorm on how to improve our own business venture and our collective business venture.  Someone is always coming up with something new and that gets someone else thinking....and poor Mindy and Shaun have to sift through it all... Roll Eyes
Thanks guys---all of you!
SueB  

A special thank you to Tom, for not letting us get stagnant... Shocked

Quote from Mindy on Mar 4th, 2008, 5:13pm:
Our costs are between $1 - 1.15 per card.  Add to that merchant processing fees (5.25%) and it jumps to $1.30 a card.  Plus all of the wonderful GCU developers, staff, equipment, etc & operational expenses we'll call "overhead", now we're talking $1.50 a card (let's say #1.49 to make it easy).  The model is $2.49 a card less $1.49 cost = $1 per card profit to be shared equally, 50 cents for GCU and 50 cents for the artist.

Keep in mind print on demand costs are higher than traditional printers.  The tradeoff is the ability for small "runs" and onesies.  POD will never be able to compete with traditional printers on large order pricing and nor they with POD's on small order pricing.  As our business grows we can always add a new division with traditional press capabilities where you can print large quantities at 10 cents or less per card.

Let's talk Widgets.  The Card Widget is a customer acquisition tool.  It is not a discounting device.  It's a temporary promotion.  The widget "cookie" is only good for 30 days (this will soon be limited so it only works once for each email address).  The seller commission is paid as compensation for directing new traffic/sales to GCU.  On all widget sales GCU losses money.  We are willing to do this as an investment to acquire new customers.  They come, they buy, they love it and come back again!  With the 89 cent card you refer to GCU losses 61 cents.  

GCU also losses money on artists buying their own cards for $1.99 as well as any special promotions (discounts, free shipping, etc).  These are specific programs that we have determined we will invest in to build the business.

We have seen many large sales and likely many more not visible to us that we have lost due to pricing.   We're working a revised commission structure that will still give you 50 cents per card for small quantities, but a reduced rate on larger quantities so we can be competitive.  So for larger sales with lower per card prices there will be lower artist commissions and lower profits for GCU.  This will allow us to be more competitive and capture more sales.

What does this mean for reseller prices?  GCU is currently not structured to compete on price alone vs. traditional printers.  Although we'd like to make it attractive for you to purchase your own cards at a discount, we are not able to extend special pricing lower than our quantity discounts (the new pricing/commission structure will be announced around end of month).  

So today the options are $1.99 with your artist discount (w/ your 50 cent commission your cost is $1.49) price or at large quantities buy for $1.89 at bulk pricing discount (with your 50 cent commission your cost is $1.39).  Hopefully you can garner a higher price from your gift shops and the like by offering high quality, unique and localized cards.

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #17 - Mar 6th, 2008, 4:01pm

Quote from Sue_132963 on Mar 6th, 2008, 2:25pm:

A special thank you to Tom, for not letting us get stagnant... Shocked

I agree.  We all need to keep the ideas coming, while fully realizing that only a few will be implemented.  I do appreciate what GCU has done and continues to do.  They work a lot harder than we realize.  Hopefully a big return will come one day for them.

And Sue, thanks for your kind words the other day.  I know I was coming off a bit grumpy, so thanks for the kick in the butt.  I have returned to uploading cards, thanks to you!  I do like creating them even though not many are selling, YET! Wink

Oddly, I had over 300 store visits yesterday and ZERO so far today.  Very strange.  I've been averaging about 30 visits/day.  I'm curious about what other's have been seeing lately.

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - Mar 6th, 2008, 4:59pm

Hey Tom,
You are welcome.  And no I didn't think you were grumpy, just in a bit of a funk--discouraged.  We all get that way, wanting to hurry up and ride our shiny new bike --without the 'training wheels'...
Glad you are uploading again.  You and your cards are already an important part of this community.
Can't stay today...got the flu...I'm off to bed with my gingerale and heating pad.
C'est la vie.
SueB

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2008, 5:52pm

Oh - so sorry to hear you're ill, Sue.  We all wish you a speedy recovery!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.