Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Headache removal, regarding categories.. (Read 659 times)
cheryl_131479
artist

Headache removal, regarding categories..
Jan 3rd, 2008, 2:19pm

I haven't been liking the 'click here, here, here, and here'  nature of setting categories on my cards... It feels as if it the most time-consuming part of creating a new card. It drives me crazy.

I know as I learn where the occasions, etc I want are hidden in your little trees, the easier it will be.. but then again, as you constantly add more, and rearrange to work better.. there goes the memorization thing.

Yesterday I worked at another website that uses about the same means of categorizing, however currently has more categories... and as I cursed trying to find a simple "Earth Day" section, I mused to myself about how the same problem exists here, but in more manegable form thus far, and how it could be improved...

As you increase the categories, you are likely to need to subdivide further, making things more and more hidden.. Your site should really consider improving, while it is smaller... and put yourself a step ahead of the other guy. Smiley  

Anyway, here's what I visualized as a possibility.

I'll use Earth Day as an example, but the way it is at the other site (out of my memory)

Theirs is basically

Holidays & occasions>

Holidays - Major (nope not here.. I really think it should be.. it's getting fairly big.)
Holidays - Minor > 4-April > 22- Earth Day

It took lots and lots of looking, as I said, to find this... I never remember dates.. and I'm sure I overlooked it repeatedly, since they have so much in the list they use a small font...

Would it be possible to add a 'search' feature to this section?
For instance, have categories be clickable in tree form just as they are now....  But also make it so that you can search for a term you KNOW is in the list, like "earth day" and find that result, or any results containing that in the trees...

Another example would be "mother's day"
A search for that term would find, assuming these sections exist,

mother's day
STEPmother's day
GRANDmother's day
BIRTHmother's day

This would make it much easier, and hence quicker and more productive.. to add cards in than the 'climb the tree' method by itself...

Thanks for your consideration.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Re: Headache removal, regarding categories..
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2008, 2:56pm

Hi Cheryl,
Thanks for your feedback.  We realize and we get more categories and make changes this is a time consuming task.  In our card approval process we often make category changes on cards so we're going through the same process.

A couple of comments for the time being...
1. If you haven't seen our Paper Cards Category list, this at least will give you a birds eye view of the whole tree.  

Paper Card Categories
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/community/dir_map.asp

2. To improve upon this list since it changes often, we're hoping incorporate indicators ie: color for new categories and perhaps even which categories you have cards in.  This is on our '08 wish list.

Your suggestion about keyword searching for a category is interesting.  I will certainly pass it along to the responsible team.

Thank you!

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_131479
artist

Re: Headache removal, regarding categories..
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:15pm

Thanks.
I had indeed not seen the tree..
That should help somewhat. Smiley

And I hope they find the search idea feasible!

Thanks for the reply!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.