Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Adding borders to card (Read 2195 times)
Christine__136991
artist

Adding borders to card
Nov 8th, 2017, 9:14am

Hi.  Haven't been here for some time.  Is there a way for us to add a border here to our cards or do we need to do this on an editing site?  Thanks for any help.

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Re: Adding borders to card
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2017, 10:01am

Hi, Christine~  I'm not the pro here, but I can answer your question and offer a bit of advice. First of all, you must create your own borders before submitting your design. Remember that a 5x7 or 7x5 design will not end up at the same proportions if you simply click a button and add a border. Also, those cards that are printed at a Target store will automatically have a white border added as part of the printing process. This may not look good if you overdo it with borders, frames and other additions to your designs.
Second: I have learned from my own experience with GCU that the Reviewers are not overly fond of borders unless they greatly enhance the image. There must be a reason for adding one.
Often, I've had some artwork or a photo of mine that I wanted to use for a card, but the image was square or not proportionate to a 5x7 format, and cropping it to the proper format would not look good. Those are the times I have used a border, but I have made it enhance the image, not just surround it. Use borders sparingly or avoid them altogether (same goes for vignettes) and you'll be more successful.
Good luck!

Email   IP Logged
Christine__136991
artist

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2017, 10:28am

Thanks so much for the information!  I didn't know that about Target adding borders.  I wonder how many cards have been returned due to overdoing it with borders?  A while back I did add borders to my patriotic cards because they look so much better.  I haven't heard anything from GCU, so hopefully, they look ok being that they're my best selling cards.  Once again, thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2017, 10:28am

Perfect advice, Ramelle! Borders should be used sparingly, generally speaking they detract rather than add to a professional greeting card image.

Email   IP Logged
Audrey_253730
GCU Newbies

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2017, 1:04pm

I will add my two cents' worth here as well, just in case it is helpful.

From my experience, using borders can be tricky from the symmetry perspective as well. Since the card has a folded edge, it may or may not respect the border you think you have added when you submitted your design. The border on that edge may end up being narrower because of the fold. But as Ramelle says, there are designs that can truly be enhanced with a border.

Aj

Audities' Cards -- Show You Care:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/auditiescards
Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.