Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Alright, What do you think is wrong with this card (Read 8985 times)
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Alright, What do you think is wrong with this card
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:23am

I just had another batch of cards put on the dreaded 'hold' gallows.   In any of your helpful opinions, what is wrong with this card.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/apology-im-sorry-cards/animals-pets/dogs/gre eting-card-911171?aid=140313

I used a brush tool to remove the leash and collar from the bulldog, but don't think you can tell that.  Also brightened up the eye a bit as there was too much of the typical redness common to bulldogs in the white part of the eye.  Margin tool says everything is within the boundaries.

I'm really baffled on this one?

With some help here, maybe I can fix it before they decline these?

Thanks guys!

Email   IP Logged
Audrey_132599
artist

Re: Alright, What do you think is wrong with this
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2012, 11:32am

Hi Randall,
It looks OK to me. The only thing that may be a little off is the border proportion. The right side would look a bit better if it were wider.  

Blessing~
Audrey

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2012, 11:38am

LOVE that cute bulldog! I can't see anything wrong with the photo, but I think you could improve this card by replacing your text "balloon" with a simpler one. (Less scallops)  Then center your text better. Also, use a simpler, sans-serif font that is more straightforward and bulldoggish. Bulldogs rarely use serifs when they think.

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2012, 11:40am

I think I have finally figured some of this out.  I bought some more of my own cards and the ones with the type of colors that the stones you have below the dog, they are not coming out really clearly, especially if they are at all dark to begin with.   Keep it light and high contrast, I advise.

Hope that helps.

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Bettie__142065
artist

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2012, 11:47am

Hi Randall, I see nothing wrong with this card except like Audrey said the border doesn't look balanced.

good luck.
Bettie

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:07pm

Holy Sh**!  How technically perfect do we have to get on our cards!   Grin Grin Grin

The border I was thinking too, but did that on purpose so I could pull the thinking balloon outside of the frame and have the card balanced as a whole.  Plus I like offset borders sometimes if they are done professionally.  Matting and framing a picture we do that for effect although you should have some continutity.   It's even on the right and bottom and then the left is even with the top.  That is if it doesn't go to Target to get printed as it fit within the GCU trim lines.  Huh

You're right Ramelle that bulldogs rarely use serifs.   Grin

Thanks guys for the tidbits so far!

Email   IP Logged
Karen_137659
artist

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:15pm

Cute card Randall. I think what may be the problem is that the front of the card isn't clearly telling the buyer what the card is for? Maybe if you put "I'm Sorry" on the outside and and said something like "Dawg gone it I did it again. Sorry, I'll do better." I don't think it's a design flaw or issue. This is what I am learning anyway. GCU offers specific cards to buyers and I think this is what they may be looking for. Hope that helps.

Email   IP Logged
Karen_137659
artist

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:19pm

A second glance ... sorry, if the dog was sitting in mess or looking at a mess with your caption, then perhaps that would better communicate and connect with the inner verse? Like I said, I am guessing here, I don't see anything with the design. Just the connection with the outer and inner texts.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:22pm

Quote from Karen_137659 on Mar 8th, 2012, 12:15pm:
Cute card Randall. I think what may be the problem is that the front of the card isn't clearly telling the buyer what the card is for? Maybe if you put "I'm Sorry" on the outside and and said something like "Dawg gone it I did it again. Sorry, I'll do better." I don't think it's a design flaw or issue. This is what I am learning anyway. GCU offers specific cards to buyers and I think this is what they may be looking for. Hope that helps.

Thank you Karen!

It's not so much a text and category issue though as I have six of these I submitted with different categories, text in the balloon area and inner verse.  All six have been placed on hold.   Has to be an image issue?

Email   IP Logged
Nan_137018
artist

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:25pm

Did GCU give a reason it was on "hold"?  They seem to be much 'fussier' this year on technical aspects.  It's a shame because the wait time is so long.  That is one reason I only post the really "safe and sure" cards here.  My pug one was declined, but is selling like hot-cakes on Zazzle.  Go figure. Huh Roll Eyes Wink

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:45pm

I don't know if this helps at all, but on my screen your photo looks a bit dark because part of the dog being in the shadows (very cute dog, btw!) I know you said you brightened the eye, but maybe add a bit more of a catch-light so the customer is drawn to his face instead of his paws where the shadows are...A levels adjustment might brighten up the image too. Hope that's helpful  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2012, 1:07pm

I don't see any problems with your card, I think it is clever and well done.     Rosie Cards

Email   IP Logged
Cathy_151407
artist

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2012, 2:24pm

Rnadall, I like the card!

I hate getting the dreaded: Hold!

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2012, 3:14pm

It's great Randall,I understand all your reasoning...perhaps post it on Zazzle!
Cheers Mary.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2012, 3:33pm

Quote from Mary_140624 on Mar 8th, 2012, 3:14pm:
It's great Randall,I understand all your reasoning...perhaps post it on Zazzle!
Cheers Mary.

Thank you!  They haven't been declined yet, just in that infamous pergatory called 'Card On Hold!'

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.