Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Copyright and Bible Verses Questions? (Read 2937 times)
Jenny_140983
GCU Newbies
artist

Copyright and Bible Verses Questions?
Feb 14th, 2011, 6:36am

I'm in need of help from anyone who can answer my questions or direct me to someone who can! Smiley

I want to design some cards with Bible verses but I'm a little confused on the copyright legalities with that. Most of the translations are copyrighted by their publishers. Most of them have pretty generous fair use clauses for personal use but require permissions for commercial use. I contacted one publisher and they gave me a whole form to fill out and it's possible I will have to pay fees.  

So, getting to my actual questions...for those who have used verses, other than the KJV (which is public domain). Have you received permissions from the publishers? Where do you reference the copyright information on the card? Or does GCU have copyright permission for the distribution of cards with verses on them? Or is this considered personal use, not commercial?

I'm a little clueless about these things so usually I just go with everything created by me, but I'd really like to use some Bible verses and want to do it properly.  

Thanks for any and all help! Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

Re: Copyright and Bible Verses Questions?
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2011, 7:06am

Oh that just takes the cracker  Huh it's stupid ect for grrr sake, but it does say New International Version, ©2010 the old one must be almsot the same... ^^  

G man how many versions do they now need ..... that made me angry Tongue  
It is what it is, cant twist the thing to suit needs in my oppinion.

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2011, 7:07am

That's a great question, Jenny.  

I am also waiting to hear about a copyright question I have...isn't it alright to use words from a song, like "I love you"  and "shake your booty"  and  "the green, green grass of home" in our cards verses...I know it is legal because it is not a song sounding like another song, and if you couldn't use "I love you", well what can you say that hasn't been in a song sometime somewhere.
I have had some of my cards approved and some were declined...even though they were the same words used.

Please clarify this for everyone.

Bright

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2011, 7:16am

Green green grass of home is a song so I guess that comes under copywrite. Sometimes
that does not make sence, Welsh have always said the green green grass of home as do
others..... but once that hit a song and they copywrited it make it a lockout for us I guess.
I mean if you shoved in the wole lyric I could see the problem, but song writers take the
name of the actual song from normal every day, should not be allowed to copywrite the  
tittle unless it's actually original, but sigh sigh they do.

The copywrite laws a donkey (better not put the equivelent) when it comes to titles
from everyday frases regular people used years before a song.

Email   IP Logged
Karen_137659
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2011, 7:19am

Hi Jenny
I have a few cards with bible verse on them and in them, I have always just noted what version it was and I haven't had an issues yet.

I do have a question regarding quotes, I think this was addressed a while back. When quoting someone living or passed, do we just note who the quote is from. I know I have a few song lyrics quoted on some cards in my private gallery, but I do have permission from the band.

There are some quotes I'd like to use from people in books that I have read. How would I give credit in the card or is it ok to put that credit in the artist's notes??

Happy Valentine's Day!

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2011, 8:39am

Jenny,  
On the Bible verse, you could make up your own translation.  Isn't that what all the religions do anyway?  LOL  King James made his to suit his beleifs and the rest have been doing the same all the way down to the Living English Bible.  "God loved the world so much, that he gave his only son so that all might live. - John 3:16"   I didn't quote that word for word from the Bible and don't know if there is a transaltion which would read that way, it's not even the way I learned to remember that scripture.  I think my recollection is "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, so that all may have life."  Any of us who have grown up studying the Bible knows that verse irregardless of the translation, and the only one who could copyright that verse would be John or Jehovah God & Jesus whom John was inspired to write about.  John basically gave us open rights of use as he admonished all Christians to prostelize the word so don't think he's going to complain and God and Jesus are coming back, but I think they have bigger fish to fry, like some of these lawyers who are making our life a living hell for one!  LOL
Seriously, Bible verse with the scripture it is from noted, should suffice or use a version like the King James that is well over the copyright time limits anyway.
As far as quotes from books or poems, those are all open as long as the credit is given to the author.  I've seen entire Robert Frost poems used as verse in cards, but even though copyright limitations have run out, we still give him credit for the verse.  Out of artist respect perhaps or habit, I'm not sure, but that we do.  
That's my take and should be GCU's as well, but don't quote me on that!  LOL
Best, Randy

P.S. -Go with Emily's take below it seems official.  LOL  Living people can make your life miserable.  Dead people usually aren't much of a problem!  If there's family involved, example, Michael Jackson, probably wouldn't want to use any of those as card material!

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2011, 11:31am by Randall_140313 »  
Email   IP Logged
Emily_138045
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2011, 9:01am

I've done A LOT of searching, and this is what I've found:

Public domain works are works whose copyrights were issued before 1923.  Many authors choose to use quotes only from people who have been dead more than seventy-five years because their quotes are now considered "Fair Use" under the public domain. Copyrights are good for the duration of the author's life and for seventy-five years beyond their death. It is generally safe to use quotes from authors who died 1936 or before.

King James Version of Bible in public domain in the US, but may not be in other countries.  All of Shakespeare’s works are public domain.

Bible Public Domain:  http://www.ebible.org/bible/ASV/  
Public Domain Books:  http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page  
Public Domain Poetry:  http://www.publicdomainpoems.com/index.html  

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2011, 11:12am

To answer some of the questions in this thread...

Copyright Basics Circular 1 http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf
States that "titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs, mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering or coloring; mere listing of contents or ingredients is NOT eligible for copyright."  

Yes, songs are protected and so are lyrics but not the titles.

You might get away with parody - that is there is no infringement if it falls under the parody umbrella.

However, some of these can be registered as a trademark. Different process, different agency. USPTO - Patent and Trademark Office does trademarks and the Library of Congress does the copyrights.

Copyrights are protected from the time of creation until 70 years after the person's death. Unless there is a pseudonym involved then it can be up to 120 years after death.

As far as I know the only Bible that you can quote from is the one in the public domain.

Submitting to GCU is for profit - it is not for personal use.

I encourage visiting the copyright web site.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2011, 11:26am

Quote from Karen_137659 on Feb 14th, 2011, 7:19am:
Hi Jenny
I have a few cards with bible verse on them and in them, I have always just noted what version it was and I haven't had an issues yet.

I do have a question regarding quotes, I think this was addressed a while back. When quoting someone living or passed, do we just note who the quote is from. I know I have a few song lyrics quoted on some cards in my private gallery, but I do have permission from the band.

There are some quotes I'd like to use from people in books that I have read. How would I give credit in the card or is it ok to put that credit in the artist's notes??

Happy Valentine's Day!

The artist's notes do not go with the card when printed, so if it were me who wrote a book and that's the way you credited me, I would not be happy.  If you use the work of someone else, credit them on or in the card.

Email   IP Logged
Jenny_140983
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2011, 12:27pm

Wow, I see there are a few different copyright concerns! Smiley

I guess my whole thing, and reasoning for questioning the bible verses is that I understand the various versions are copyrighted, but I see artists using those versions on here and I'm curious as to what permissions people obtained to do so. I also am under the impression that there is a certain amount of copyright information that should appear on on the card or whatever work you are quoting in. (This is specified by the publishers/copyright holders). I don't see that on cards or know where/how you would place it on the card. But I agree, as Doreen stated credit on the card should be given. I'm not trying to make waves but I'm curious as to how it's all working permissions wise.  

Now, I know that I can paraphrase or use the public domain versions but I would like to be able to directly quote a whole verse from a specific version but if that's not possible or too much work to get permissions etc. I'm fine with skipping it.  

Good info on public domain posted in here too. I usually just tend to go with my own things or public domain because it's easier, and will probably continue to do so, unless someone responds with something AMAZING to change my mind!  Smiley

I don't post much but when I do I appreciate the feedback I get here--so thanks! (And pardon my wordiness--apparently I keep the short stuff for the cards.) Grin

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2011, 12:56pm

Quote from Jenny_140983 on Feb 14th, 2011, 12:27pm:
Wow, I see there are a few different copyright concerns! Smiley

I guess my whole thing, and reasoning for questioning the bible verses is that I understand the various versions are copyrighted, but I see artists using those versions on here and I'm curious as to what permissions people obtained to do so. I also am under the impression that there is a certain amount of copyright information that should appear on on the card or whatever work you are quoting in. (This is specified by the publishers/copyright holders). I don't see that on cards or know where/how you would place it on the card. But I agree, as Doreen stated credit on the card should be given. I'm not trying to make waves but I'm curious as to how it's all working permissions wise.

Now, I know that I can paraphrase or use the public domain versions but I would like to be able to directly quote a whole verse from a specific version but if that's not possible or too much work to get permissions etc. I'm fine with skipping it.

Good info on public domain posted in here too. I usually just tend to go with my own things or public domain because it's easier, and will probably continue to do so, unless someone responds with something AMAZING to change my mind!  Smiley

I don't post much but when I do I appreciate the feedback I get here--so thanks! (And pardon my wordiness--apparently I keep the short stuff for the cards.) Grin

Jenny, so glad you posted this today because I hadn't found your store until now and what a pleasure it was to visit.  You have a delightful sense of humor!

Regarding giving credit.  I see so very many images both here and on Zazzle that I know are taken from a site which allows use, but asks for credit to be given and many don't.  I can't imagine not giving credit.  If it's for graphics or an image, placing a very small and somewhat faded Photo courtesy of so and so on the front of the card is accepted by GCU and seems to be acceptable to the contributor.  In your case, if you use a quote, there are artist's here at GCU who have added 'Quote by so and so' under the words inside the card.  Sadly, with inside text, you can not make it smaller or italicized to stand apart from the quote, but it's credit none-the-less.    

What you CAN NOT do at GCU is put a website on the card anywhere or in Artist's notes.  So for example if it came from JoansPoems.com, you can put JoansPoems, but not JoansPoems.com or www.JoansPoems.com

Email   IP Logged
Karen_137659
artist

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2011, 6:00pm

Good point, Doreen. Thanks

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2011, 10:43pm

this is my resource for Bible verses...I do not use the versions that show the copyrighted symbol and date.  i use these references or paraphrase for myself based on the essence of the verse as I have been taught over the years.
http://bible.cc/psalms/119-105.htm

Email   IP Logged
Jenny_140983
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2011, 6:28am

Denise, that's a great resource! I have a different site that I use but it doesn't show each version's copyright info side by side. So, thanks a bunch for that link! It might make things a bit easier for me!

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Feb 15th, 2011, 10:48am

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.