Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4
My Christmas Cards From The Printer (Read 7396 times)
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

My Christmas Cards From The Printer
Nov 29th, 2010, 8:06am

Well I had a load of santa ones,  
so today I go to write them and eww
besides the stink, which is still lingering a few weeks on,  
(this is my gripe) the uv coating is peeling,  
I am not happy with that, they smell horrible
the coating is peeling all down the edges, the
cut is not good, the printing is superb, I don't
want a refunt (cant be arsafrased) but somone
needs a word with said printer, people are buying
cards ready for easter, my god they probably disintigrate
into a heap of pulp by then.

Their cutting is not to good either half my logo has
gone for a walk.

Bit grrrr  

Moonie

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Re: My Christmas Cards From The Printer
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2010, 8:25am

Moonie..  R u saying too that this happened to the cards over time... or they arrived to you this way?  Huh

The Lj Maxx Greeting Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/LjMaxx
Email   IP Logged
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2010, 8:48am

Arived fine takes about three week to get to me, ordered them Sep 14, 2010
but they are flaking here and there, the uv is raising, I only just took them all  
out to write them, perhaps they have gone off, dam we need sell by dates Tongue

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2010, 8:51am

Tanya.
Thanks for posting...this is certainly horrible news.  The printer certainly needs a talking to!!!

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2010, 9:23am

omg..  unbelievable really.  to think that the paying customers may be receiving these just fine (except the odor)  and then by the time they go through the mail or whatever delivery method plus> lots of people hold on to special cards from special people for years to come that they might peel and crack or whatever issue they are doing.  hard to imagine that in today's world there can be such an ongoing problem with printing.. it is a very savvy industry and done all over the world every second of the day w/o problems like this is.   I can see at 1st the printer having some adjustments to make but all this time gone by.. still having issues with the end result?  seems odd to me..  someone is not giving much thought to the future growth of their business if this is acceptable to them.  whatever happened to quality control?  if something will drive customers away from here in the future.. this sounds to me like this is one of those things..  Poof!  Gone! Perhaps forever..  All the work to get them there and just like that.. the end result leaves them unsatisfied..  still trying to wrap myself around this topic even existing.  so many components to the end results here.  they all need to be working like a symphony together..  

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_131398
artist

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2010, 10:40am

My last three orders, which I received very quickly, have had these issues (peeling coating, bad smell, etc. )plus folds that look like someone scraped them with a dull knife down to the white. I tried twice to get cards that were nice enough to sell in a local pet store this holiday season and I finally gave up. I'm sorry to say I will not be buying any more GCU cards until these problems are resolved.

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_134335
artist

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2010, 11:11am

Thank You for this post as this is a problem that needs to be addressed.  (Coincidently, I too am a Tanya Smiley and also have much concern and dissatisfaction (and, I'm sure this is not just a thing amongst the Tanya's, as I've seen many posts in regards to the printing).  

GCU should take this seriously as I'm concerned for their success at this point.  Unfortunately, the "new" printer is not working out.  I ordered a card for myself which I had also ordered last year.  Receiving this (the same card) last week, I am quite disappointed as I have already ordered over 3 dozen of these cards for holiday mailings.  The problems are:

1.  The Color is way Off.  Very Bad First Impression.  Too much yellow.  Quite Disappointed.
2.  Smells Bad.  Who wants a card that smells of chemicals.  Imagine a card for love that stinks - ick.
3.  Cut too close to the edge, my logo has no border on the back bottom edge.
4.  The texture is odd and cheap.  Kinda rubbery.  Too much varnish.

I enjoy working with GCU and I'm concerned they have taken a turn in the wrong direction utilizing this printer.  Either the printer needs a major change, or GCU needs to look for a different printer.  At this point I'm not sure I would order more cards.  I'm bummed that I ordered so many to send for the holidays and they Represent MY work.

Thank You,
Tanya

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2010, 12:35pm

We are very sorry to hear about the finishing problems with the cards.   We've had a lot of positive feedback on the card printing with our new printer, so this is a bit alarming.  Much seems to point to the UV coating for the glossy finish.  We've been aware of the smell issue for a while, since reported which was after September though, and have taken some steps in an effort to resolve with little success unfortunately.  Part of that letting cards "air out" before packaging however we suspect that has caused the cracking/peeling.

We are working with our printer however one easy solution may be to remove the option for glossy cards all together, or at least until we can fix the problem.  It certainly would eliminate the smell and cracking issues.  To note, most of our competitors do not offer a glossy option.

Your thoughts?  

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2010, 12:58pm

Mindy are you getting a lot of complaints from "buyers" about the smell?    

I feel the look of the glossy does add an extra bit of elegance to the card.

I have had my cards set to glossy.  However, I have switched all my cards to matte for now because when I received my last card order a couple of weeks ago, the smell was horrible.  Really bad!!!!  I aired them out, but they still smell.  It was very disappointing.  

Sher

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2010, 1:06pm

Not to be stupid here but how does airing them out prior to sending out make them crack and peel?  Also weeks later in some cases.. ?  Weather they air out there or on someones desk after receiving the coating still has to cure properly and generally curing does not require multiple methods for stability.  Is it an air dry curing process?  A light curing process?   A chemical spray on?   U.V. cure? Seems to me... the printer should be the one who answers and resolves this issue since it is them and the vendors- product choices they use that would have the most knowledge of how they make the products in their industry.  I can not help but wonder why they let the cards go out that way if they are aware of this problem existing.  Yes.. some here have said their orders were fine.. So.. I would start with>  what are they doing on those that could be applied to all..    I have set my default to matte but really..  most photographs look a tad better in glossy.. plus..  isn't there a good advantage to offer what the other sites do not offer.. ?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2010, 1:23pm

I really don't care for the matte finish for photographs and rich color work.  If the UV is causing all these issues, which it seems to be doing...that tells me that they need to:

Either change UV coating products
Get the manufacturer/supplier of the UV product to come investigate the set up
or
Try different application / drying methods.  UV coatings are used on many paper goods, including photographic paper you can buy at WalMart...those do not smell, peel or crack.

It seems the printer needs an expert on the application of UV coating to work with them.

Email   IP Logged
Robin_145428
artist

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2010, 1:41pm

Hi all,
My 2 Cents

It sounds to me like they are being packaged too quickly,, Not giving enough time for the coating to harden and affix properly.. That might be the problem. There is a drying time for this procedure.
Haste makes waste

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2010, 1:49pm

count me in as one who offers cards as GLOSSY due to the elegance factor and that I feel the photos present much better in glossy over matte ... if glossy wasn't an option, I'd be looking for another POD for my cards (with sadness, as I enjoy GCU).  But yes, the smell and peeling HAVE to be fixed!

Email   IP Logged
Robin_145428
artist

Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2010, 1:56pm

For Now , I changed my preference to Matte embarrassed cry

Email   IP Logged
Cassie_133164
artist

Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2010, 2:12pm

I too changed to matt as I was very unhappy with the last glossy cards I ordered.  They stink and peel and look really bad.  The matt cards look okay but I know my photography looks better with a glossy coat like at Zazzle but the gloss here is not very good quality as it smells and cracks.  I kept back my last order I was going to resale at a local store for my own personal use as I feel uncomfortable selling cards with such a poor coating on them.  It will turn the customers away maybe permantly if they bought those cards.  I'm hoping they fix the issue soon but if not I'll have to look at ordering my cards for resale from another source.  For now I'll go with the matt option but I don't want to have to permanatly use the matt option.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.