Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
Potential Partnership Update (Read 8376 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Potential Partnership Update
Mar 16th, 2010, 2:41pm

GCU is discussing a possible partnership with an online gift card retailer.  The solution would be POD paper greeting cards for them to sell online to accompany their gift cards, a natural fit.  They sell poplar gift cards like Nordstrom, iTunes, Sears, Chili’s, Cold Stone, etc.  

We want to share this possible partnership with the artist community to get your feedback.  Overall we are very confident in the value this partner would bring and welcome the additional card sales and exposure.  We also hold great confidence in the overall quality of their business practices and reputation.  

They would offer on their site a selection of GCU cards of which:

a)  they would select a limited collection of around 100 or so cards    
b)  some type of artist's credits will appear on the back (may differ from today’s BOC)
c)  they would do the POD printing not GCU
d)  they will pay GCU 50 cents for each card sold of which will be split 50/50 between GCU and artist.  Each party will earn 25 cents per card sold.  This would likely be reported on a monthly basis and paid as part of your GCU quarterly earnings
e)  they may or may not use the artist provided inside verse
f)   their usage would be limited for this purpose only
g)  sale volumes will be low at first with plans & hopes for continued growth

NOTE:  If you are not interested in participating in this opportunity artists will have the option to easily Opt-Out.  

If we move ahead, this will require a good amount of GCU's effort on developing tools and reporting for this partner.  We see this as another great opportunity to sell more of your cards!   Cheesy

Please let us know what thoughts or questions you have.

Email   IP Logged
Andi_140318
GCU Newbies
artist

Re: Potential Partnership Update
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2010, 2:46pm

Awesome! Sounds terrific! Thanks for your great work!

Email   IP Logged
Audrey_132599
artist

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2010, 2:57pm

Thank you for filling us in, Mindy.This sounds like a great opportunity!  
~Audrey

Email   IP Logged
Padma_139696
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:01pm

Sounds like a great opportunity! Mindy. I would say go for it!

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:06pm

Well it sounds a good idea, just hope they are versatile in their choices if it goes ahead, that's the only concern I guess, other than that it sounds like a good oppertunity to get better known. I wish you luck with it, it could generate a lot more custom for GCU as well to a top idea in that respect as well. I can't see many artists opting out though, it does open up another outlet.

Hugs
Moonie

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:08pm

Quote from Mindy on Mar 16th, 2010, 2:41pm:
GCU is discussing a possible partnership with an online gift card retailer.  The solution would be POD paper greeting cards for them to sell online to accompany their gift cards, a natural fit.  They sell poplar gift cards like Nordstrom, iTunes, Sears, Chili’s, Cold Stone, etc.

We want to share this possible partnership with the artist community to get your feedback.  Overall we are very confident in the value this partner would bring and welcome the additional card sales and exposure.  We also hold great confidence in the overall quality of their business practices and reputation.

Hi, Mindy,

Interesting update, thanks for sharing this with us.  

My question:  The "100 or so" cards that you have mentioned, does this mean 100 +/- cards from the current total GCU selection of over 300,000 cards?  If so, realistically, this would have very little effect on the average artist who has cards here at GCU, just by sheer numbers, we have over 3700 artists, so most artists would not even have one card represented.

Just a point of curiosity on my part.  Smiley

But an great idea to promote GCU, for certain!

Thanks,
Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:17pm

Wow, that does sound very interesting.  Can't wait to hear more information about this new endeavor.  Smiley

Thank  you....  Sher

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:20pm

Quote from Penny_134243 on Mar 16th, 2010, 3:08pm:

Hi, Mindy,

My question:  The "100 or so" cards that you have mentioned, does this mean 100 +/- cards from the current total GCU selection of over 300,000 cards?  If so, realistically, this would have very little effect on the average artist who has cards here at GCU, just by sheer numbers, we have over 3700 artists, so most artists would not even have one card represented.

Thanks,
Penny Smiley

Correct, from the total card selection.  A drop in the bucket compared to what we offer.  Their plans are to start small and general but we suspect with good results we can sway them to offer a bigger selection and look to some of the more specific cards (relation & age specifics) we have that will help them further differentiate themselves from their competitors.

Just another way to increase sales.  It all adds up.

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_131617
artist

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:29pm

I think any 'drop in the bucket' will make a ripple.... a ripple will grow to a wave and so on, and so on. Right on! Cheers to GCU. Lisa

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:31pm

Do you have any thoughts as to when this could take place?

Sher

Email   IP Logged
JULIE_134623
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:38pm

that's awesome a great opportunity!!!

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:44pm

Wow!

I think this a great opportunity for GCU. Even if it's just a few cards and selected artists getting the extra exposure, it would be worth it. If this partnership really goes through, I wish all the lucky artists all the best.

Oma Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Tessa_139072
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:45pm

So does this mean card sales in GCU and the Partnering Company?

Email   IP Logged
candace_131548
artist

Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:47pm

Sounds wonderful. Every little bit helps!

Candy

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:49pm

I think it is a good idea.  As you said, any artist not interested in having their cards included can opt out. I like it!  Way to go GCU, on your continues growth!

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #15 - Mar 16th, 2010, 3:50pm

All three of my thumbs say it best!!

Cherie

Email   IP Logged
Elizabeth_137795
Gold Member
artist

Reply #16 - Mar 16th, 2010, 4:06pm

Absolutely....go for it! Any exposure we here at GCU can get would be fantastic.
elizabeth

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2010, 4:16pm

Quote from Mindy on Mar 16th, 2010, 3:20pm:
Quote from Penny_134243 on Mar 16th, 2010, 3:08pm:

Hi, Mindy,

Thanks,
Penny Smiley

Correct, from the total card selection.  A drop in the bucket compared to what we offer.  Their plans are to start small and general but we suspect with good results we can sway them to offer a bigger selection and look to some of the more specific cards (relation & age specifics) we have that will help them further differentiate themselves from their competitors.

Just another way to increase sales.  It all adds up.

Thanks for the quick reply!  Yes, you're right, it does all add up!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - Mar 16th, 2010, 4:35pm

Sounds good Mindy.  Thanks for the update!
Kathy

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #19 - Mar 16th, 2010, 4:40pm

Quote from Sheryl_133470 on Mar 16th, 2010, 3:31pm:
Do you have any thoughts as to when this could take place?

Sher

Likely mid year if it's a go.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #20 - Mar 16th, 2010, 4:43pm

Quote from Tessa_139072 on Mar 16th, 2010, 3:45pm:
So does this mean card sales in GCU and the Partnering Company?

Sorry, not sure I understand your question.  Card sales on GCU will be business as usual but in addition this partnering company will be selling some of our GCU cards on their site.  Does that answer your question?

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #21 - Mar 16th, 2010, 4:48pm

It sounds like a good opportunity for more exposure to GCU and the Artists as well, obviously, the more exposure the better it is for all of us, even if we are not a chosen Artist.  The only thing I would bring up would be the possible quality of the cards if they are doing their own POD as the quality at GCU is the best offered.    Rosie Cards  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #22 - Mar 16th, 2010, 5:06pm

if the BOC credit linked directly to MY GCU site, I wouldn't mind cutting my commish by 1/2, should one of my cards be chosen.  I had actually PMd Mindy a few months ago, suggesting GCU offer gift cards as well, so folks could easily purchase gift and card all in one place!  I figured if my grocery store can offer over 50 different retailers for gift cards, it shouldn't be that hard for GCU to do it.  Sounds like someone else had the same idea!  

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #23 - Mar 16th, 2010, 5:47pm

Quote from Peggy_137160 on Mar 16th, 2010, 5:06pm:
if the BOC credit linked directly to MY GCU site, I wouldn't mind cutting my commish by 1/2, should one of my cards be chosen.  I had actually PMd Mindy a few months ago, suggesting GCU offer gift cards as well, so folks could easily purchase gift and card all in one place!  I figured if my grocery store can offer over 50 different retailers for gift cards, it shouldn't be that hard for GCU to do it.  Sounds like someone else had the same idea!  

Hi Peggy, sorry.  I don't use the PM function  Sad  We have looked into offering gift cards on GCU it just has not been a project we're ready to take on yet.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #24 - Mar 16th, 2010, 5:49pm

Quote from Rosalie_136698 on Mar 16th, 2010, 4:48pm:
It sounds like a good opportunity for more exposure to GCU and the Artists as well, obviously, the more exposure the better it is for all of us, even if we are not a chosen Artist.  The only thing I would bring up would be the possible quality of the cards if they are doing their own POD as the quality at GCU is the best offered.    Rosie Cards  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Quality would be a requirement.  We are confident it is their goal too and we will be sure to be involved in the process to make sure this happens.

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #25 - Mar 16th, 2010, 6:03pm

An intriguing prospect; great going in envisioning this idea and best of luck in developing it!

Joan

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #26 - Mar 16th, 2010, 6:23pm

Thank you Mindy, That is wonderful news!  
We have talented artists, the cards speak for themselves,  
and free advertising is a "Win-Win".  
Janet Lee Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Carol_136775
artist

Reply #27 - Mar 16th, 2010, 6:42pm

This sounds like a good deal all around.  Driving traffic to GCU can only benefit us all.  Kudos to GCU Admin for always pushing the envelope and consistently trying to improve exposure and increase sales.

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_139273
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #28 - Mar 16th, 2010, 11:23pm

Mindy,

Wonderful idea, great potential!...I have a couple of important questions that need to be asked now even though considerations/negotiations are still early in development:

1)  If this becomes reality, how will the cards be selected that would give the GCU very large membership a "fair opportunity" to have their cards picked up by these venues?  Who will decide?  Will you have a contest, or something similar?

2)  You indicated that some sort of credit will be given on the back of the cards.  Wonderful.  But...what about the creative rights?  Will the artist, independently or through GCU, need to:  
     a) relinquish their full rights to these designs, meaning the design will be "exclusive" and strictly for that venue and the artist will not be able to sell it, or use elsewhere for commercial purposes; or  
     b) agree to give a "limited, one time use rights other than what is now given through GCU?;  
     c) have guidelines for reorders that restrict reprinting to GCU to prevent the venue from printing the cards/designs themselves; or  
     d) have the selected cards distributed to these venues completely via the current GCU policies/methods that would allow the designs to be available to everyone with the rights protected by the GCU policies?

It is a great venture and it will be complex since GPU will need to be the middle person and have the responsibility of handling the selections, coordinating the efforts, and paying the artists.  Hope some sort of "arrangements" can be made to have this become a reality.

Thanks.

Patricia

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_135184
artist

Reply #29 - Mar 17th, 2010, 11:22am

Not to sound like the devils advocate but...........
I would opt out just like that other facebook thingy.
Selling more but getting even less commission is never something i would do. Its not fair to me the artist to have more out their with even less financial gain.
Seeing GCU making a gain without doing any work, and then spiliting with me 25cents isnt worth it.

To some, exposure is their gain, and hopes for more sales through here by it.
But I dont want more sites all over, with my cards and having more concern about piracy (from buyers, or browsers) from other sites.

This is my personal opinion. (not up for a debate)

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #30 - Mar 17th, 2010, 12:30pm

Yayy Mindy!  I'm here because I enjoy having my images and verses used and appreciated by other folks.  Any money I earn helps my grandchildren go to a Christian school and that's a definate plus for me.
But you know what?  If I only got pennies on the card, I'd probably still be doing this.  I love the outlet for my work and I know that with time and the extra effort expended on a continuing basis, my work is improving.  I find the idea of this new partnering  exciting and filled with hope for all of us.  Even if one of my cards is never chosen by the partner, the ones chosen and used will point folks back to us, and that could mean back to Me!  
A couple of years ago, I purchased something through Borders (online) for a Birthday Gift for a loved one.  The assortment of Birthday Cards to use was pathetic.  I mentioned to my husband, 'Too bad they wouldn't partner with GCU and offer our cards.  Would be great for their customers and for us on GCU!'
 Cheesy  So glad to see something like this is a real possibility.  
Thanks once again, GCU   kiss

Email   IP Logged
Alda_133805
artist

Reply #31 - Mar 17th, 2010, 12:50pm

Sounds like a good opportunity!

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #32 - Mar 17th, 2010, 1:57pm

Quote from Lisa_135184 on Mar 17th, 2010, 11:22am:

(not up for a debate)

No debate wished for or intended and your opinion is certainly just that, but I must take complete issue with this assessment:

Seeing GCU making a gain without doing any work

which I feel is inaccurate and unjust.

Email   IP Logged
Andi_140318
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #33 - Mar 17th, 2010, 2:18pm

If only I could be soooo lucky to be one of the 100 cards chosen. If used by itunes at 25¢ a card, I could retire. A joke, but even at 25¢, it could add up to a very handsome sum indeed.  

And, the comment made about GCU making a gain without any work is ludicrous considering the legalities involved.

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #34 - Mar 17th, 2010, 2:30pm

Partnerships are wonderful ways to expand.  Good luck!  I offer my card selection freely. Smiley

Thank you for sharing and including all of us.

Bright

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Reply #35 - Mar 17th, 2010, 7:22pm

Sounds like a great idea. Helps spread the GCU brand which means more exposure for all of us. Plus the lucky 100 artists get a  bonus -that will have a ripple effect on all of us.

Email   IP Logged
Marita_139630
artist

Reply #36 - Mar 17th, 2010, 8:16pm

I think it is a great idea! The more the merrier.

Email   IP Logged
David_134612
artist

Re:More Partnerships the better
Reply #37 - Mar 18th, 2010, 11:00am

Great idea GCU
The  more exposure the better. Its better to have cards exposed and make something than to make nothing. Go for it GCU.  I would rather have cards seen and sold than make more per card but not sell any

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #38 - Mar 18th, 2010, 4:16pm

Not to sound like the devils advocate but...........
I would opt out just like that other facebook thingy.
Selling more but getting even less commission is never something i would do. Its not fair to me the artist to have more out their with even less financial gain.
Seeing GCU making a gain without doing any work, and then spiliting with me 25cents isnt worth it.

To some, exposure is their gain, and hopes for more sales through here by it.
But I dont want more sites all over, with my cards and having more concern about piracy (from buyers, or browsers) from other sites.

This is my personal opinion. (not up for a debate)

No debate as it is your opinion.  However I must clarify on your inaccurate statement that GCU will make a gain without doing any work.  For this partnership to take place and work properly there is A LOT of work to be done on GCU's side let alone the resources and business acumen to court such a deal.  This opportunity did not just come out of the blue.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #39 - Mar 18th, 2010, 4:28pm

Quote from Patricia_139273 on Mar 16th, 2010, 11:23pm:
Mindy,

Wonderful idea, great potential!...I have a couple of important questions that need to be asked now even though considerations/negotiations are still early in development:

1)  If this becomes reality, how will the cards be selected that would give the GCU very large membership a "fair opportunity" to have their cards picked up by these venues?  Who will decide?  Will you have a contest, or something similar?

2)  You indicated that some sort of credit will be given on the back of the cards.  Wonderful.  But...what about the creative rights?  Will the artist, independently or through GCU, need to:
    a) relinquish their full rights to these designs, meaning the design will be "exclusive" and strictly for that venue and the artist will not be able to sell it, or use elsewhere for commercial purposes; or
    b) agree to give a "limited, one time use rights other than what is now given through GCU?;
    c) have guidelines for reorders that restrict reprinting to GCU to prevent the venue from printing the cards/designs themselves; or
    d) have the selected cards distributed to these venues completely via the current GCU policies/methods that would allow the designs to be available to everyone with the rights protected by the GCU policies?

It is a great venture and it will be complex since GPU will need to be the middle person and have the responsibility of handling the selections, coordinating the efforts, and paying the artists.  Hope some sort of "arrangements" can be made to have this become a reality.

Thanks.

Patricia

Let's see how much I can answer for you...

1. The partner will choose the cards.  Their choices will be based on what they feel is marketable for their audience and likely also some consideration as to what cards are selling well on GCU. Unfortunately "fairness" will not be a criteria.  

2. I think this is a catch all answer for a - d.  Correct me if it isn't.  This would be non-exclusive, just like GCU terms, artists retain their rights & ownership to do anything else with their creative.  The partner however would be limited in their usage of the creative as would be spelled out in the agreement - for pod printing of paper greeting cards for the time duration of the contract for example.

Email   IP Logged
Angela_134247
Gold Member
artist

Reply #40 - Mar 18th, 2010, 7:01pm

Goodness, I'm all for this, I can only dream one of my cards will get picked!

Email   IP Logged
Carol_136775
artist

Reply #41 - Mar 19th, 2010, 6:58am

To quote Mindy:

1. The partner will choose the cards.  Their choices will be based on what they feel is marketable for their audience and likely also some consideration as to what cards are selling well on GCU. Unfortunately "fairness" will not be a criteria.  

As this is a business decision ( what cards will most likely sell and bring a profit), fairness can be read as what is the best business decision.  "Fairness" is appropriate in judging a contest, being honest in dealing with others, etc.  Business decisions are practical, based on helping the bottom line.  Businesses will take chances on things that have a high probability of improving said business.

I believe this partnership, in time, can be a very positive thing for many GCU artists.  I'm not sure how to define "fairness".  When we put up our best cards with an eye to what sells, we will have a shot at being chosen.  When interested buyers come to GCU as a result of this partnership, they will search artists who are not necessarily shown by the partner and GCU will benefit.

Carol

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #42 - Mar 19th, 2010, 8:00am

Quote from Carol_136775 on Mar 19th, 2010, 6:58am:
To quote Mindy:

As this is a business decision ( what cards will most likely sell and bring a profit), fairness can be read as what is the best business decision.  "Fairness" is appropriate in judging a contest, being honest in dealing with others, etc.  Business decisions are practical, based on helping the bottom line.  Businesses will take chances on things that have a high probability of improving said business.

I believe this partnership, in time, can be a very positive thing for many GCU artists.  I'm not sure how to define "fairness".  When we put up our best cards with an eye to what sells, we will have a shot at being chosen.  When interested buyers come to GCU as a result of this partnership, they will search artists who are not necessarily shown by the partner and GCU will benefit.

Carol

Thank you, Carol, for this very objective and articulate statement. You have echoed my sentiments on this subject exactly, but much more eloquently than I could have done...

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #43 - Mar 20th, 2010, 5:29am

I think that this is very good...the more exposure the better...thank you GCU for making this possible.  

Initially I couldn't figure out why we as artists weren't contacted first (by the interested party)...but then I came to my senses and realized all the complicated nuances that this would mean legally.

I would be honored to have a card or two chosen...any tips on what they are looking for?
Linda

Email   IP Logged
Avis_134613
Gold Member
artist

Reply #44 - Mar 26th, 2010, 8:44pm

Hi Mindy and all....guess I'm a little late to this party as have been on vacation!  This seems kind of exciting and I'm all for spreading the word. I've read through all the concerns, but overall it seems like a good idea and I'd certainly be happy if chosen as one of the 100...that said I'm going to have to let this percolate through my brain which is a bit tired at present as it's nearly midnight here!
 Smiley Nite

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.