Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
3rd Quarter 2008 Growth - impact of recent changes (Read 4245 times)
Mike_47592
GCU Administrator
artist

3rd Quarter 2008 Growth - impact of recent changes
Nov 12th, 2008, 3:13pm

This is the first full quarter since we instituted the new pricing and artist fees on July 1, 2008.  We are seeing positive results as expected.  Mainly, more cards sold in various order sizes, more large orders (sales artists are calling bulk sales) and increased payments to artists.  

RAISE ON MOST LIKELY SALES
Approximately 99% of card orders in the third quarter were orders of 49 cards or less.  There was a 12% increase of cards sold within this order range compared to the second quarter.  This range (0 - 49) is the order level where artist fees either stayed the same ($.50) or increased to $.56 a card after our artist fee change.  This growth and artist fee increase resulted in a 22% increase in artist fees for this order range compared to the second quarter.  

LARGE SALES GROWTH  
As it relates to orders of 50 cards or more we had a 62% increase in this order range compared to the second quarter.  We know this growth would not have happened if we had not reduced our card pricing for larger orders.  This is incremental revenue to artists and GCU.

YEAR TO YEAR GROWTH
Compared to third quarter 2007, total cards sold increased by 450% and artist fees increased by 350%.

We are very encouraged by this growth.  Keep in mind that the third quarter is a "quiet" quarter not offering any significant card buying events (e.g., Holiday Season, Valentine, Mother’s/Father’s Day, Easter, Graduation cards, etc.).

We have a long way to go.  We are not focused on increasing sales and artist fees by a few dollars but on increasing both by several thousand or hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Thank you for your continued support as we grow GCU to be the ultimate destination site for all greeting cards.

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Re: 3rd Quarter 2008 Growth - impact of recent cha
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2008, 3:18pm

Thanks Mike for the very informative update. It is very encouraging. Your team continues to impress me in your technical knowledge, response to artists, and marketing and sales.  

Keep up the good work!
Sandra

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2008, 4:03pm

This is great news!  I hope GCU continues to grow and that at some point will be offered as a public stock on the market.  I'd be interested in investing in some shares!
Linda

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2008, 7:15pm

Mike,
Thanks so much for the 'Skinny on the Penney'.  
Your optimism is purely contagious!
Thanks.  We needed that...   kiss
Sue

Email   IP Logged
Ed_133653
artist

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2008, 5:57am

Hey, great news (we all could use some! )  ~Ed

Email   IP Logged
Mikey_135428
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2008, 10:44pm

Grin  Sounds like a good time to open a store... Thank you!

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/kingdaddy

Cool

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2008, 9:40am

Hi Mike ... thanks for the stats and the update!  

From what I've seen, those numbers reflect the pretty much the same figures I come up with from my own shop.  Total cards sold and artist's fees increased over 300% for me in 3Q, and it appears to be holding at that and/or growing so far in 4Q.  The new price structure seems to be working well ... I know it will take time for all artists to begin seeing it, but hang in there, gang ... I truly believe that the growth and sales numbers in 2009 will dwarf what we've seen even in this year.  

Thanks again, Mike and GCU!  Wishing everyone many happy holiday sales!   Smiley

Teri

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2008, 3:16pm

Glad to hear that you are profiting from the new "structure".  For me, well, no, am down over $100.00....not a fan of the new pricing, in fact I find myself hoping for no bulk sales, but sales 49 or below...hopefully it will all level off . I have faith in the system, but my pocketbook doesn't!
L

Email   IP Logged
Gail_135209
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2008, 6:02pm

Quote from Mike_47592 on Nov 12th, 2008, 3:13pm:
This is the first full quarter since we instituted the new pricing and artist fees on July 1, 2008.  We are seeing positive results as expected.  Mainly, more cards sold in various order sizes, more large orders (sales artists are calling bulk sales) and increased payments to artists.

RAISE ON MOST LIKELY SALES
Approximately 99% of card orders in the third quarter were orders of 49 cards or less.  There was a 12% increase of cards sold within this order range compared to the second quarter.  This range (0 - 49) is the order level where artist fees either stayed the same ($.50) or increased to $.56 a card after our artist fee change.  This growth and artist fee increase resulted in a 22% increase in artist fees for this order range compared to the second quarter.  

LARGE SALES GROWTH
As it relates to orders of 50 cards or more we had a 62% increase in this order range compared to the second quarter.  We know this growth would not have happened if we had not reduced our card pricing for larger orders.  This is incremental revenue to artists and GCU.

YEAR TO YEAR GROWTH
Compared to third quarter 2007, total cards sold increased by 450% and artist fees increased by 350%.

We are very encouraged by this growth.  Keep in mind that the third quarter is a "quiet" quarter not offering any significant card buying events (e.g., Holiday Season, Valentine, Mother’s/Father’s Day, Easter, Graduation cards, etc.).

We have a long way to go.  We are not focused on increasing sales and artist fees by a few dollars but on increasing both by several thousand or hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Thank you for your continued support as we grow GCU to be the ultimate destination site for all greeting cards.

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2009, 2:08pm

Mike, can you post some Y/Y and Q/Q stats for 4Q and 2008?  Thanks.  We all enjoy the information and the growth in the business.  Thank you for all you do.

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2009, 7:22am

Thank you Mike for this information.  Great news to hear.
Thanks to all at GCU who work so hard to make this a great site.

Sher

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2009, 11:58am

Mike and GCU Artists,
Here is some interesting data.  
I joined GCU the first of January in 2008.  From the 1st to the 21st I sold 13 cards, earning me a commission of $6.50.
For this same period this year, 2009, I have sold 130 cards with a commission of $64.10.
So you will see that my card sales AND commissions are approximately TEN times that of last year.
Of course I am selling more, in part, because I have so many more cards in my shop.  But also because of GCU's bulk pricing.  But what amazes me is that my commissions have kept their ratio!  
I know Linda has said that she is loosing money because of the change.  I sure would like to hear from other Artists.  Are you loosing since the bulk pricing changes, are you doing better, or like me about the same ratio?  And are you selling more cards?  I know I saw a difference right away.
Thanks Guys.
Sue

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2009, 12:01pm

Sue,
I began in Feb. 2008 and my ratio is the same as it was last year.  The bulk pricing has averaged out without a problem for me.
Sandra

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2009, 12:16pm

Sue - wow!  You are really doing well, 10x is spectacular. Smiley Smiley Smiley

I posted that I am seeing an aggregate 50-cents/card for all my sales to date, about 10-months worth.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1232504220/9#6

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2009, 12:23pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on Jan 19th, 2009, 2:08pm:
Mike, can you post some Y/Y and Q/Q stats for 4Q and 2008?  Thanks.  We all enjoy the information and the growth in the business.  Thank you for all you do.

TOM

Will do, and your request seconded by Linda:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1234452330/0

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2009, 1:39pm

Thanks for looking into this for us!
Linda

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.