Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
Card pricing and artist license fees (Read 23946 times)
Mike_47592
GCU Administrator
artist

Card pricing and artist license fees
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:30pm

Hello,

It is my pleasure to make my first post and have the opportunity to speak with all of you.  This past year has been an exciting one watching GCU grow and witnessing our creative artist community reaching over 1,350 artists to date.  Thank you for all of your hard work!

The purpose of my post has to do with card prices and artist license fees.

When GCU started we set a license fee at a flat rate of $.50 a card sold based on a card-selling price of $2.49.  In doing so we knew there was little to no room for profitable discounting.  In fact, at a card price of $2.29 or below GCU actually loses money, considering costs like printing and fulfillment; artist, seller and merchant fees; and overhead (customer and technical support).  

As we learn and move forward, GCU’s goal is quite simply to sell more cards.  In the process make sure that GCU no longer loses money on sales and that artists continue to be compensated fairly.   This will also allow GCU to pursue marketing and advertising activities that have not been done in earnest to date.

Today we are all missing out on large quantity sales because our prices are not competitive.  With a few changes we believe we can begin to capture those lost sales and at the same time increase earnings for both GCU and our artists.  This will require a new pricing and artist fee structure.

We are considering the following and would like your feedback.

RAISE PRICES FOR MOST LIKELY SALES & INCREASE DISCOUNTS FOR QUANTITY ORDERS OF ASSORTED CARD - orders with two or more different card types.

We propose to raise card prices to $2.79 (see proposed pricing below).  This will boost revenues for the majority of our existing orders (99% of GCU orders are less than 25 cards).  From what we have learned we believe there is room for this increase.  At the same time offer deeper discounts for quantity purchases of assorted cards.

OFFER BULK ORDER PRICING – orders of quantities over 3,000 of the same card.

NEW PRICING AND ARTIST FEE STRUCTURE
In order for us to offer better pricing we require a partner with more flexibility.  We will soon announce our new printing and fulfillment partner who will not only offer higher capacity production at a lower cost but also offer some of the new services that you have been patiently waiting for like back of the card credits, international bulk shipping and more.  

We are suggesting an artist fee structure based on percentage of card sales price, net of discounts and promotions.  Note that with a card price increase to $2.79 for up to 24 cards, artists will actually earn more ($.56 per card vs. today’s $.50).  The suggested artist fee structure is as follows -

Price Range of Card Sold      Artist Fee Percentage
$2.29 - $2.79                                      20%
$1.89 - $2.28                                      15%
$1.70 - $1.88                                      12%
$.50 - $1.69                                        10%

Our new suggested pricing for Assorted Card Orders is  -

Quantity per order of Assorted        Card Price           Related Artist Fee
1 – 24                                                   $2.79                      20% = $.56
25 – 49                                                 $2.49                      20% = $.50
50 - 99                                                  $2.29                      20% = $.46
100 – 499                                            $1.79                      12% = $.21                  
500 – 999                                            $1.49                      10% = $.15
1,000 – Plus                                        $1.39                     10% = $.14

Our new suggested pricing for Bulk Orders is –

Quantity per order of Bulk          Card Price           Related Artist Fee
3,000  - 3,999                                $1.19                     10% = $.12
4,000  - 4,999                                $1.09                     10% = $.11
5,000 – 7,499                                $0.89                     10% = $.09
7,500  - 9,999                                $0.79                     10% = $.08
10,000  - 14,999                           $0.69                     10% = $.07
15,000  - 19,999                           $0.61                     10% = $.06
20,000  - 24,999                           $0.57                     10% = $.06
25,000  - 49,999                           $0.55                     10% = $.06
50,000  - Plus                                $0.51                     10% = $.05

Keep in mind these lower priced/lower artist fee orders are for the most part sales we are not capturing today.  It is not money lost out of your pocket nor ours, it is money on the table that we’d like to win!

I am certainly interested in your thoughts and feedback.  My goal is to implement changes by July 1, the beginning of the next calendar quarter.

Mike Fake
CFO, BigDates Solutions
Greeting Card Universe

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Re: Card pricing and artist license fees
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2008, 12:44pm

Mike -

Thank you for this post.  It looks like GCU has developed a nice formula that allows GCU to make money on every sale, which you aren't currently, and treats the GCU artist well.  I think it is pretty innovative.  Well done!

Also, I feel like I just got a 12% raise today since I have never had a Qty order of more than 8 cards or so. This new plan also maintains the 50-cent per card commission, we have been use to, all the way up to 49 cards.  Cool.

I support this proposal, and Thank You for the raise!  
I'd send you a Thank You card but I'm out of credits .... Smiley    (perhaps an ecard then.. Grin)

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2008, 12:59pm

WOW!  THANK YOU, MIKE....THANK YOU GCU!
I am truly revved up about this.  If the quality of our printed cards does not drop, perhaps some of us can, at long last, market our own cards on the outside world too.  This plan looks to me like a real winner, for ALL of us!
Do I approve?  "It's a noooo-brainer!"   Cool
Thanks again,
Sue

Email   IP Logged
Linda_134118
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2008, 12:59pm

Smiley I was wondering when you would raise the price of the cards! Well done! Cool

I have done some on line investigation of "other" on line cards and their sites.
1) other sites are not as friendly as GCU
2) The price is more for cards and they do not mail them out to any other address but the buyers in most cases

and here is a BIG ONE~
3) They are "limited" in choices as they do not have the artist pool that GCU has Smiley

So I am very glad to see this change in pricing about to take place as I feel the market can bear it! I have had nothing but praises for GCU!!!! My personal oppinon is that GCU will out do any of the "big name" card sellers very soon. I myself have done my part to market the site not only for my own art/cards but everyone elses too. BRAVO WELL DONE Cool

Email   IP Logged
Gina_133039
artist

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2008, 1:19pm

Grin Ditto to all of the above... good news.  Again I say I am privileged to be a part of GCU... It's a great place to be and I'm glad I'm part of it!

gina

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2008, 1:36pm

Hello Mke!

Welcome to the forum.

As an artist who regularly makes bulk order sales, I nevertheless welcome the new pricing/license fee structure. Indeed, with this new pricing schedule, I hope to make many more bulk orders, which will help plump out all our wallets. Smiley

Corrie
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2008, 1:51pm

Hello Mike,
When I first heard that there would be changes in the amount artists could earn on their cards I was a little concerned, but you have come up with what I think is a very good solution.  I have always thought the quality of GCU cards was so great that they could sell for more.  I think you have come up with a very good solution that I believe we will all benefit from.  I have been with GCU for almost a year now and I am so impressed with the artist community here and how GCU really cares about what the artists think.  Well done!
Kathy

Email   IP Logged
Chuck_133938
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2008, 1:54pm

Hi, Mike.

This sounds like a well-considered plan. Increasing bulk sales is obviously a goal we should all share.

Thanks for giving the artists the opportunity to weigh in on this.  

Chuck

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2008, 2:03pm

Hi Mike,

First, welcome on your first forum post!  I'm sure we'll all be eager to see many more postings from you!    Smiley

I, too, am delighted to see that GCU will be making a move towards more advertising and making bulk sales more competitive.  The new pricing structure you've presented looks good at a quick glance ... I'd like to study it a little more closely, but it appears very attractive -- for the most part.  

One area that concerns me though is the steep drop-off under the Assorted Bulk pricing between the 50-99 and the 100-500 range.  That's a pretty severe cut from $.46 per at 99 cards to $.21 per for 100 cards.  I may be missing something that went into the considerations -- there may be a very good reason for such a sharp drop in commissions fees ... but at first glance, I can't quite imagine what it might be.  

This is right off the cuff, without having studied the new model closely yet, but I'm wondering if there's a reason why there could not be a more moderately staged drop-off.  For example ... 100-249 cards @ $1.99, and 250-500 cards @ $1.79 with commensuate artists fees of 15% ($.30) for the $1.99 cards and then drop down to the 12% ($.21) for the 300-500 card range.  Is that something that bears any consideration?  

I don't see any problem with reduced artist fees for bulk sales ... I expect it and endorse it for GCU's growth.  And I think the 10% across the board for single-card bulk order of 3k + is certainly fair and reasonable.  But having been fortunate in having a few bulk sales, I'm a little put off by the idea that a bulk sale of 90 cards which I recently had, will actually earn MORE than a bulk sale of anything less than 197 cards under the new structure.  Something just doesn't seem right to me about that.  If the $1.99 cards at a 15% commission is not something worth considering, then I would rather see the Assorted Bulk structure go from 20% for 1-49 ranges to a 15% fee for the 50-500 ranges ... personally, I would rather trade off that 5% on the 50-99 range and pick-it up on the 100-500 range.  And in reality, it would only be a 3% increase over the 12% in the proposed structure.  I can't speak for others, but I'd be happier giving up that 2% on the 10-99 cards and picking up 3% on the 100-500 card sales.  

Anyway, that just my initial thoughts on it.  I know a lot of work and thought went into this plan, Mike.  Just want you to know that we very much appreciate that GCU takes the time and goes to the effort of asking for feedback from us.  

Looking forward to hearing more on this topic over the next week or so.  Over all, though, great job to everyone at GCU.  Let's get those big bulks going!   Smiley

Teri

Email   IP Logged
Angie_133421
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2008, 2:10pm

Hi Mike,
Thank you for filling us in and keeping us abreast of what's going on behind the scenes. This new pricing /fee stucture seems to be fair all the way around and can only help to enhance things at GCU. Thanks for also taking the time to think about meeting the needs of the GCU artists. Smiley
Thanks again.
Angie

Email   IP Logged
barbara_133221
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2008, 2:12pm

Hi Mike,
I think it is a great idea. I'm also very happy that GCU is artist-friendly and considers the interests of artists  and their feelings when making decisions and not only GCU's. Smiley Smiley. All of you are a very supportive bunch!  
Would like to quote henry ford on teamwork:
Coming together is a beginning.  Keeping together is progress.  Working together is success.  ~Henry Ford

have a nice weekend !
cheers, barbara

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2008, 3:04pm

First of all I will be the first to say I am no good with numbers and will have to sit down and really crunch it out but I am not sure this is as exciting for me as it might have been.  though i agree on bulk orders our fees should be on a sliding scale, not sure i understand RAISE PRICES FOR MOST LIKELY SALES --are these the popular / best seller categories that have the most exposure already??  also there was no mention of shipping costs unless i over looked it... do we know yet how that will change as that too may effectively kill the vision we have.

I wasn't going to mention this yet but this news has really messed with a plan in place for me and i do not know how it will affect it.   embarrassed  

I have spent this past week getting a store fixture and setting up a new mini-card store in the downtown store where my art is exclusive. I already have art cards that are more high end at the store.  we had a great plan in place to add a line of all occasion cards and HAVE to get it going in the next 3 weeks due to a grand opening.

while the news here is great news for the artists and I am glad for the chance to earn more on the big bulk sales.  I am not sure what it is going to do to our new venture.  we ( my hubby and I) can not buy massive amounts and I am thinking the 100-125 we were planning to buy may not be cost effective for the pricing schedule we have set up with the store owners.

I will wait to see after all numbers are laid out, though since this is not set in stone yet I am not sure what I can count on.

I am sorry to be a sad face about it all, but this was very very exciting on our end and for the store owner, a much needed presence that could benefit GCU as well.

so I will need to do some homework...... undecided

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2008, 3:09pm

Quote from Teri Francis_131425 on Jun 20th, 2008, 2:03pm:

One area that concerns me though is the steep drop-off under the Assorted Bulk pricing between the 50-99 and the 100-500 range.  That's a pretty severe cut from $.46 per at 99 cards to $.21 per for 100 cards.  I may be missing something that went into the considerations -- there may be a very good reason for such a sharp drop in commissions fees ... but at first glance, I can't quite imagine what it might be.  

Teri

The way I see it, the card price dropped by 50-cents going from Qty 50 to Qty 100, and so GCU split that reduction 50/50 with the Artists.  They get 25-cents less and we get 25-cents less.  This seems justified imo.

Also, we need to Retrain our Brain. BULK sales now are single card orders of 3000+.  Anything else is simply a "Quantity Sale."  

Also, as Mike mentioned, GCU lost money on orders over 25 cards ($2.29 card price and below), and it got far worse at 50, 100, 500, and 1000!  This was mainly due to the Artist fee being flat at 50-cents no matter what.  That clearly had to change.

Another Retrain our Brain is that the new commission is based on the customer order size.  If they place an order of 100 cards to get the card price of $1.79, then any artist in that order, and there could be several, will get 21-cents per card, regardless of qty of their cards sold in that order.  This is likely very rare, but we will have to accept this, otherwise, again, GCU could lose a lot of money since they only take in $1.79/card on an order like this.

The key point is that 99% of orders are less than 25 cards, and so artists will get a 12% raise in commissions with this new structure. The long term average order size is 2.2 cards. (I track this)

Also, I have received cards from the new printing partner, and I can't tell a difference.  I suspect they use the exact same POD printing machine as the current printing partner does.  

Email   IP Logged
Alda_133805
artist

Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2008, 3:23pm

Thank you, Mike for the post.  

Well...I'm no numbers person either, but I am all for providing a structure that will allow for advertising dollars and profitablility. If GCU can maximize its visibilty, we all win.  I have been very pleased to date with the print quality of the cards and am hoping that a change in printers will not affect this. I am not one of those fortunate to have had a bulk sale, so I have not had to think much about price structure yet.  With a full time job besides, the time I can devote to this right now is minimal, so I have been content to sell strictly online to individuals. It would be great to expand at some point.

Email   IP Logged
Jen_131266
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2008, 4:01pm

Smiley I also support the proposed changes. Thank you for giving us so much detail and involving us in the discussion. I have always appreciated GCU's excellent communication.

Thank you

Jen

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Reply #15 - Jun 20th, 2008, 4:20pm

This is excellent news. For GCU to survive the very large bulk orders need to come for many more of us. From my point of view, This is the best bit:

"In order for us to offer better pricing we require a partner with more flexibility.  We will soon announce our new printing and fulfillment partner who will not only offer higher capacity production at a lower cost but also offer some of the new services that you have been patiently waiting for like back of the card credits, international bulk shipping and more."

At present, GCU has a large potential market in the USA but with no bulk international shipping, the rest of the world was missing out. In many parts of the world, you can't send a completely machine printed card to a person and actually have them appreciate it - people want handwriting on their cards in order to really value them. I have StatCounter functioning on my GCU home page and regularly notice significant activity from Asian countries and even Australia (where I live), but alas, no sales, probably for the same reason.

So, the bulk international shipping will do it for me. The rest is just icing on top. Thank you!

Cheers,

Rosanne

Red Rose Digital Art Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/RedRoseDigitalArt
Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #16 - Jun 20th, 2008, 4:48pm

Nice to meet you Mike!
The sliding scale idea is fine with me and I applaud your efforts!  
However, I see what Teri is saying about the 100-499 qty cards- the price drops 50 per card rather than 30 cents like the rest of the scale.  
If I were ordering 99 cards- I would be foolish to not order 1 more and drop my price significantly by 50 cents per card.  
There needs to be a middle area as she suggested and have a continuance of 30 cents per card drop. For exampke: as 100-249- at 1.99, and then have your 250-499 at 1.79. It would be more consistant. Wink

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #17 - Jun 20th, 2008, 5:04pm

GCUs current Qty 100-499 price is $1.89.

Unfortunately Zazzle card price at Qty 100-499 is already $1.55  lips sealed

I suspect this was a key factor in lowering the GCU card price at 100-499 to $1.79.

Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - Jun 20th, 2008, 7:43pm

Tom,
Yes I suspect you are probably right.  I didn't realize the current price was that low already- so that makes more sense to me.  
At any rate- this is just like anything else in business - small steps before you can run. People will see that we are making efforts as we expand and that is good- but still -to do so in a consistant manner is wise.  
We must also realize that our somewhat limited customer base is not solely due to advertising and pricing, it has to do with product line and eventually we will have to expand into new horizens or accept our fate.  
I mean no matter how new or small we are, we are competing with American Greetings, Hallmark, and others. And let's face it -they have quite diverse product lines - for example musical cards that record voice messages, embossed cards, and cards with metallic print etc...and whole lines of other gift items as well. That is what makes the market so tough to compete in.  
But as I say- small steps before you run. Slow and steadfast, see how it goes and then make new changes again in another six months- after seeing what happens with this one.
At any rate- that is just my opinion...it is a group effort indeed.

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #19 - Jun 20th, 2008, 8:50pm

I think if the store owners will agree to raise the price on my cards ( we would still be cheaper than the only competition we have)  i THINK undecided  it is still feasible as long as shipping is not a killer.

i did not want to come across as ungrateful, because i appreciate any and all consideration for the artists.   if teri's suggestion of a more gradual slide was taken into consideration, i really do think we could make this thing fly.

though i do not want to spill all the details yet, this is something that i really, really do think some of you would be interested in trying.  i hoped to be an encouragement  and have only come across as complaining.  

it is just so close to happening and i don't deal well with change.

Email   IP Logged
Pattiann_132699
artist

Reply #20 - Jun 20th, 2008, 9:40pm

Denise,

I don't think you've come across as you think you have. You very nicely laid out a real-world example of how this would impact a plan you have. You did it in a reasonable and respectful manner. And when/if it is good for you, I'd like to hear your plan. Is *is* encouraging.  

~Pattiann

Quote from DENISE_132110 on Jun 20th, 2008, 8:50pm:
 i hoped to be an encouragement  and have only come across as complaining.

it is just so close to happening and i don't deal well with change.

Email   IP Logged
_131847
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #21 - Jun 20th, 2008, 10:12pm

SmileyThank You Mike for the detailed information. Seems fair enough for me as well.

Ines Miller Fine Artist - Greeting Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/inesmiller
Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #22 - Jun 20th, 2008, 10:36pm

Hi Mike-

This new pricing structure basically sounds good, but I do have some questions:  

Several of us have been talking about buying our OWN cards in bulk for resale and we're figuring our artist discount into the equation.  Would that still be 50¢ on any amount of cards as it is now, or would the discount be changing as well?

Also, what would the shipping costs breakdowns be?

Is our "artist's fee" actually a "licensing" fee? I'd never heard it referred to as that before.

What other marketing and advertising activities ARE in the works to potentially garner these bulk sales?

Also, going to Teri's comment, having an artist net the same $45 for a sale of 99 cards or 218 cards (which seems to be right in the area of most "current" bulk sales) is quite steep.  I mean this certainly would effect Artists buying cards in bulk wouldn't it?  

And there is the question of multiple artist bulk sales, how would that work?

Thanks for asking for our input!

-Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_132015
artist

Reply #23 - Jun 20th, 2008, 10:49pm

Make it short and brief. I don't understand you. Are you saying us little guys and gals that don't make any large sales get less for our cards? What a rip off that makes and that stinks Angry! I'm not going to read the long stories about this. How dare you! Make me wrong and make it short if your responding back. I want equal pay like everyone else does for any sale we make! Greedy money makers you are, shame on you! I'm poor and wish I could make more sales but the long and short of it is I'm a slow drawing artist and it takes time for me to dish out cards. Grrrrr! Angry

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2008, 11:08pm

Patricia-

It's actually the opposite, commission on sales of 1 to 24 cards at a time would go UP, from 50¢ to 56¢ . . . this is GOOD especially if like you say, you have few cards in your shop.  So, breathe. . . it's okay.

No one's being greedy.  GCU needs more bulk sales to grow and have more exposure which helps ALL of us. . .  The little guys and the "big sellers."  It's actually those artists that DO have many bulk sales, that would be "taking the cut" to help the company grow.

-Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #25 - Jun 21st, 2008, 10:42am

Hi Everyone!  Smiley

I guess this change might be worth the risk. It's a great opportunity for both the artists and GCU.

To be honest I think we all owe GCU a fair chance to grow as a company. They have given me an opportunity to take a hobby and share my work with everyone and bring in revenue at the same time. I support them 100%. I see this as a chance to grow along with them!

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #26 - Jun 21st, 2008, 11:56am

Sounds good to me.  Keep up the good work GCU and welcome aboard, Mike!
Linda

Email   IP Logged
Nasser_16
GCU Administrator
CEO

Reply #27 - Jun 21st, 2008, 6:19pm

Quote from Patricia_132015 on Jun 20th, 2008, 10:49pm:
Make it short and brief. I don't understand you. Are you saying us little guys and gals that don't make any large sales get less for our cards? What a rip off that makes and that stinks Angry! I'm not going to read the long stories about this. How dare you! Make me wrong and make it short if your responding back. I want equal pay like everyone else does for any sale we make! Greedy money makers you are, shame on you! I'm poor and wish I could make more sales but the long and short of it is I'm a slow drawing artist and it takes time for me to dish out cards. Grrrrr! Angry

Patricia,

No long story, just right to the point.  As some artists have already pointed out the new pricing and commission schedule is in general fair and in fact necessary to increase sales all around.

We work very hard at GCU to foster a cohesive and respectful environment where artists' input and best interests are just as important as GCU's.   We welcome discussions, disagreements and debates on all topics as it will help us build a service that is truly unique.    However as posted in the past, we will not tolerate any name calling.  Being called "greedy money makers" is unfair and uncalled for.  Important for you to know that GCU has yet to make any profit.

If our policies frustrate you to such an extent perhaps GCU is not the site for you.

Everyone, please continue to post your constructive criticism - we embrace it!   It's the only way we can make this service truly first class and eventually the ultimate destination site for all greeting cards.

Email   IP Logged
Gina_133039
artist

Reply #28 - Jun 21st, 2008, 6:32pm

Quote from Oma_132016 on Jun 21st, 2008, 10:42am:

To be honest I think we all owe GCU a fair chance to grow as a company. They have given me an opportunity to take a hobby and share my work with everyone and bring in revenue at the same time. I support them 100%. I see this as a chance to grow along with them!

Oma.

Smiley Well Said, Oma...

gina

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #29 - Jun 21st, 2008, 6:44pm

Smiley good news... the store owners were more than willing to work with me.  they will accept a flat rate commission and any breaks we may get on pricing or shipping i can keep it 100%.  

this is very exciting to us.  

short of it is - i will have a free standing card store, stocked with cards from my GCU store and my high end linen art cards ( they already have stocked )  inside an antiques and collectibles store downtown.  i am already the only artist and exclusive to their store.  so far my sales of other works has gone well.   we have nothing but high expectations for this venture.   i will carry a wide assortment and begin with 100 cards from my GCU store.

i will post a long post closer to grand opening and tell you all about it.

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #30 - Jun 21st, 2008, 7:46pm

Denise-

So glad to hear your card "kiosk" is a go. . .   Grin . . . been working on a similar venture, too, where I sell handmade cards. . . having the printed cards as well.  Anxiously awaiting the back credits on GCU orders to be live!  Summer's here!  Time to make hay!

-Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #31 - Jun 21st, 2008, 7:59pm

yay for you as well.  we are waiting on the back credits,also.  2 people bought my cards recently and we so very disappointed not seeing  my name on it anywhere.

i think this is something more artists will try... we will be the trailblazers ... or guinea pigs .   Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #32 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 8:51am

Congrats, Denise on your store!  Doesn't the shipping cost get expensive?  That is my biggest concern with selling my GCU cards at stores like I do other cards.  It seems too expensive once I add the shipping costs.

With the new pricing, will the shipping costs change?

Regarding the proposed pricing structure, I think it is a great move.  As bulk sales increase, this would increase our total amount made, even with the sliding scale.  As Mike said, this is a new untapped market for GCU - sales that we wouldn't have without the pricing breaks.

Thanks,

Sandra

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #33 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 9:00am

yes i am worried about shipping , that is why i keep saying what about shipping what about shipping.  Shocked   it is high and it is a concern.  

however we worked out our strategy for the first batch of cards, we are starting slowly.  and i will watch for free or reduced shipping, special pricing etc to restock.  

thanks for your comments

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #34 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 9:10am

@ Denise ... Yay!  So glad to hear that it worked out with the store owner and your plan is still a "GO!"  I know you and hubby put a lot of work into the prep and planning for this ... also know it will be a great success for you and for GCU!  Well done, girlfriend!   Smiley

btw ... I love your new logo!  Very classy design ... soon to be a very well-known design, I hope!

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #35 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:25am

Quote from Tom_133317 on Jun 20th, 2008, 3:09pm:
Quote from Teri Francis_131425 on Jun 20th, 2008, 2:03pm:

Teri

The way I see it, the card price dropped by 50-cents going from Qty 50 to Qty 100, and so GCU split that reduction 50/50 with the Artists.  They get 25-cents less and we get 25-cents less.  This seems justified imo.

Hi Tom,
I wasn't saying that the split wasn't fair ... in fact, I'm sure the earnings are more generous for us at $.21/card sold than it is for GCU, based on the percentages of the new proprosal.  I was simply wondering why they edged out a middle stage discount for cards in the $1.89-$2.28 range.  Mike's post refers to the Price Range of $1.89-$2.28 with Artist Fees @ 15% ... but it's not reflected in the next section of ASSORTED CARD ORDERS ... there is no volume discount for cards in that price range.  It looked to me like it might have been in there originally and then revised for some reason.  

I approve of the new pricing ... but I thought Mike or another GCU artist might clarify something that I seem to have missed concerning the $1.89-$2.28 (15% artist fee) referenced in the first part of the proposal.  As I mentioned before, I wholly support and endorse this move, and I agree that GCU does a tremendous job on our behalf in so many ways, particularly in asking for our feedback.  

Quote from Tom_133317 on Jun 20th, 2008, 5:04pm:
GCUs current Qty 100-499 price is $1.89.

Unfortunately Zazzle card price at Qty 100-499 is already $1.55  lips sealed

I suspect this was a key factor in lowering the GCU card price at 100-499 to $1.79.

The Zazzle bulk price of $1.55 is the base price for the artist/store owner, not the retail price for consumer sales.  Like most of the other POD sites, the artist sets the mark-up which determines the end-product price.  At Zazzle, it's automatically 10% unless the artist/shopkeeper changes it.  It holds if you're buying your own cards -- all of one design, but a non-par customer will be charged a mark-up on that price.  

There are some (not many, but some) cards on Zazzle that sell for the base price, with no mark-up -- and no commission to the store owner.  In many cases, there are good reasons to do that, especially in regard to promoting other products that will generate sales with higher commisions.  But most sellers who focus mainly on greeting cards are selling them at marked-up prices ranging from $3.15 to $3.79 per single card sale.  A card that retails for $3.79 *edit* on a single purchase will be discounted to $2.15/card on a bulk order of 100 ... $1.95 ea for a bulk order of 500.

I think that GCU can still be very competitive in Quantity Sales pricing with a $1.89-$2.28 range.  GCU has a unique and great advantage over Zazzle in offering the Assorted Quantity discount ... I'd love to see that be promoted!  It could be a key reason why someone would buy from GCU rather than one of the other sites that offer cards by many of our artists who have multiple stores.  

FYI ... here's the breakdown of the retail Qty/Bulk discounts at Z ... Unless I'm mistaken (Zazzle folks, please chime in if I'm wrong on this!), these discounts apply to only ONE card design.  If you want to buy 100 cards with different designs, the discount will apply for how many of each design you buy.

Qty.      Retail Price Discount
10+      17%
20+      41%
50+      44%
100+    47%
500+    54%

It's a gradual grade downward that I can clearly make sense of.  And that's why I was thrown into question at first glance about GCU's steep drop from the $2.29 range to a $1.79 price on Assorted Qty sales.  It didn't and still doesn't make sense to me ... but I'm sure GCU has looked at the competition and has sound reasons for it.  It might help clear up confusion on my end as both an artist and a buyer if I could tell whether or not there will be a $1.89-$2.28 price range at all.  

Teri

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #36 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:33am

That's and interesting question (total cost with S&H).  Right now the Artist price is $1.99 up to 99 cards.  At 100-499 we get the same card price as the public; $1.89.  In all cases we get a 50-cent commission making our actual card cost either $1.49 up to 99 cards or $1.39 from 100-499 cards.  From this shipping and handling is added. At 100 cards the effective cost is $1.63 today, including a blank envelope.

With the proposed new pricing, it's not clear what the Artist price will be, and will the commission also be as proposed?  I suspect so  Let's assume our Artist price stays the same at $1.99 up to 99 cards, which I think we'd all appreciate.  If so, our effective card cost is $1.43/card ($1.99 - 0.56) up to 24 cards, but from 25-49 and 50-99 cards, the commission decreases which would make our effective card cost go up to $1.49 and $1.53 respectively.  At 100-499, with a commission of $0.21/card, and a card cost of $1.79, it goes up further to $1.58/card.  Obviously this is azz backwards, but will give Mike something to resolve this week. Smiley

As for shipping and handling, GCU has not telegraphed an increase, so perhaps the current S&H chart is still good.  I also trust GCU would like to keep the current effective artist cost, including S&H, to about today's levels.

One thought could be to allow artists to order cards w/o envelopes, so that we can have a variety of envelope colors and styles to support retail displays (purchased separately).  Perhaps this can shave some money off the Artist Price, reduce S&H, and offer some retail flexibility to drive volume.  I recently priced envelopes at 12 cents, color or white, at Qty 250.

Denise - we want a Photo of your card display when you get it set-up.  Very exciting. Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
Norval_132688
Gold Member
artist

Reply #37 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:51am

Teri and Tom,  you both are so well informed in the business side of POD I am starting a Teri and Tom file.  Thank you both, I get a little dizzy, so much information,  so am starting this file to be able to go back and and digest it slowly.  I recommend this to all the newbies to POD sales, there is so much to learn.      Norval

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #38 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:05am

Quote from Teri Francis_131425 on Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:25am:
 I was simply wondering why they edged out a middle stage discount for cards in the $1.89-$2.28 range.  Mike's post refers to the Price Range of $1.89-$2.28 with Artist Fees @ 15% ... but it's not reflected in the next section of ASSORTED CARD ORDERS ... there is no volume discount for cards in that price range.  It looked to me like it might have been in there originally and then revised for some reason.  

It may have been to make sure the full per-card price range was covered from 50 cents up to $2.79 so to include special pricing and discounts GCU sometimes advertises.

That middle-card qty range is an intersting one.  Thanks for providing some insight there.  I can't say one way or another what the right price should be.  GCU could speak to the question of how their $1.89 current price has faired at 100-499.

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #39 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:41am

Quote from Tom_133317 on Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:05am:

It may have been to make sure the full per-card price range was covered from 50 cents up to $2.79 so to include special pricing and discounts GCU sometimes advertises.

That middle-card qty range is an intersting one.  Thanks for providing some insight there.  I can't say one way or another what the right price should be.  GCU could speak to the question of how their $1.89 current price has faired at 100-499.

Hmmmm ... good point, Tom.  I think GCU's new price points seem to be nicely positioned, except for that one question.  I'm sure there's a lot of data and research they have gone over to come up with the new prices, most of which we can't even fathom.  

Re the 100-499 range sales  ... past performance in the last year would be too skewed to reflect any accuracy of future trends because GCU is only 1 1/2 years old ... Happy Birthday and a half, GCU!  Smiley  I think you have to look at the data for the competition (as available) in the higher-end/higher-volume markets that you want to break into.  I think we all want to see those 1k+ and 3k+ sales coming in ... and as recently proved, they are out there!  But as Tammy said, we have to walk before we can run, and it will take some time (6-18 mos.) to develop some steady base customers at that level.  In the interim, I believe that the 100-500 range is an important one ... one that could raise that 1% of bulk/qty sales of over 25 cards.  I'm sure that's what we all want to see happen at GCU ... and I firmly believe it will!

Quote from Norval_132688 on Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:51am:
Teri and Tom,  you both are so well informed in the business side of POD I am starting a Teri and Tom file.  Thank you both, I get a little dizzy, so much information,  so am starting this file to be able to go back and and digest it slowly.  I recommend this to all the newbies to POD sales, there is so much to learn. Norval

LOL ... better you, Norval, than some agency that rhymes with eff-bee-eye!  
Thank you for the kind comments, but I'm still fairly new to PODs myself and learning as I go along.  I'm just used to dealing with contracts, proposals, bids, and business plans -- so, that's kind of how I look at these things.  There are many artists here ... like Corrie, for example ... who really know their stuff on PODs.  I think we all need a CorrieWeb file too!    Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Norval_132688
Gold Member
artist

Reply #40 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:57am

Teri, Tom, and Corrie file--------noted-------and added.    ............Norval

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #41 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 1:21pm

Quote from DENISE_132110 on Jun 20th, 2008, 3:04pm:
First of all I will be the first to say I am no good with numbers and will have to sit down and really crunch it out but I am not sure this is as exciting for me as it might have been. though i agree on bulk orders our fees should be on a sliding scale, not sure i understand RAISE PRICES FOR MOST LIKELY SALES --are these the popular / best seller categories that have the most exposure already?? also there was no mention of shipping costs unless i over looked it... do we know yet how that will change as that too may effectively kill the vision we have.

Hi Denise,
A big congrats on your in store display, that is very exciting!  Best of luck to you  Cheesy

To answer your question re: RAISE PRICES FOR MOST LIKELY SALES, it has nothing to do with the best sellers or most popular cards but a characteristic of our typical (not average) order size.  Basically 99% of our sales/orders are for a quantity under 25 cards - the "most likely sales".  Those are the orders based on size that will be impacted by the price increase which means for the most part as Tom has pointed out and rightly celebrating that everyone has just gotten a raise!  

We hope to have more info. re: shipping costs soon.  Ideally they would stay the same if not go down but it's too early to report.

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #42 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 7:40pm

Just wanted to take a minute to say congratulations to Denise.  We will all be interested in your endeavor and wish you much success.

On another note, all this talk about artist fees, has made me curious about what these new changes will mean for seller fees?  Will the sellers of cards be on the same fee schedule as artists or will GCU continue this program?  Just curious.

All this talk is so exciting.  Can't wait to see what the future brings for all of us!
Kathy Smiley

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #43 - Jun 23rd, 2008, 9:55pm

thank you very much.  we are still looking at options and it may change somewhat as we finalize everything.  which is part of the reason i really didn't plan to share anything about this part of the venture yet.  we are definitely moving ahead,
if we end up doing what we started to do i will let you know... it should be finalized very soon.

Email   IP Logged
Mike_47592
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #44 - Jun 24th, 2008, 6:18pm

Thank you for your feedback and support.  Some very good comments were made and questions raised.  I would like to address them.

SHIPPING COSTS
We unfortunately do not have a definitive response as to what our shipping costs will be as we have not finalized these costs with our new fulfillment partner.  This was an area of importance to us as we selected our new partner and all indications are that shipping costs will be the same or lower than they are now.  We will let you know very soon.

ARTIST DISCOUNT PRICING
Our new pricing and artist fee structure does affect artist net pricing.  As a result we are reducing the price we offer artists who use the artist promotion code to $1.89 (which would be up to 99 cards).  The artist will receive an artist fee of $.28 (15%), thus an effective rate of $1.61.  This is not as favorable as the current plan, however, as I mentioned in my original post we can no longer afford to lose money on card sales.  Additionally, shipping costs hopefully will decrease to offset part of the difference.

CARD PRICING OF 100 – 499 RANGE
This has been the main area of discussion.  We had this debate internally prior to suggesting this range.  The major factors in our decision were competitive pricing, historical sales and the cost of printing and fulfillment.  

I believe the posts have shown examples of competitive pricing that support our suggested pricing.  We believe that a quantity break of 100 has significance and the price should reflect this with a significant impact.  

We have had only 63 orders to date between 100 and 499 cards and are disappointed in this number.  We believe pricing is a major contributor and with our goal of selling more cards we need to be aggressive with pricing in this range.  At this time we believe the pricing for over 100 cards has to be significantly less than our current price of $1.89.  We don’t believe that graduating the tiers in this area would show that significant impact.  

As mentioned, it would be to a buyer’s advantage to buy that 100th card if they were buying 99 (other ranges have same effect, just not as pronounced).  The only way to eliminate this advantage is to price each tier within the range separately.  For example, if a customer bought 100 cards they would be charged $2.79 for the first 24 cards, $2.49 for the next 25 cards, etc.  The problem with this is that it is extremely confusing to calculate and explain to buyers so we do not wish to do it this way.  We prefer to make it simple so in my example the customer will be charged $1.79 per each card in their 100 card order and each artist who has a card in that order will receive $.21 per card.  There have only been 4 orders to date between 76 and 99 cards so we don’t think this will be of concern.  If we see patterns, we can always change pricing going forward to take advantage of customer behavior.  

Our printing and fulfillment costs do not decrease at the same percentage as our pricing does.  In fact, with the exception of bulk orders, our costs do not continue to decrease past a certain point while our pricing does.  As prices go down with no change in cost the margins are affected.  Our proposal has us sharing in these decreased margins.  

Even though we currently will not offer a price in the range of $1.89 - $2.28 we may experiment with this pricing in the 100 – 499 range or offer promotional pricing in other ranges.  Knowing this we needed to address the artist fee in this range, that being 15%, so you would know what this is.  We believe our proposed artist structure will give us the flexibility we need to find the right pricing. This is a win-win for all of us.

MISCELLANEOUS COMMENTS
Yes the artist fee is a license fee.  This is described in the artists Terms and Conditions.  

As of yet we can’t comment on specific marketing and advertising activities, as we have not finalized our marketing plan.  On a small scale we continue to test different activities.  However, this is a project in process and relates more to our budgeting and planning for the 2009 calendar year.  Keep in mind, our goal is to sell cards in a manner that is profitable for GCU and you.  We will provide more information at a later date.  

At this time we are not making any changes to our Seller’s Fees.  We still will offer $.50 a card sold through our seller widgets.  Keep in mind we consider the widget a customer acquisition tool.  The purpose of the $.50 fee is for first time buyers only and we realize we may incur a loss on that sale but the loss is a manageable customer acquisition cost that hopefully will be made up with future purchases.  The $.50 seller fee does not affect artist fees.

Hopefully you will follow our reasoning behind our suggestions.  Again keep in mind these lower priced/lower artist fee orders are for the most part sales we are not capturing today.  Our long-term goal is to increase card sales 1,000 plus fold in a profitable manner for both GCU and you.  We have a lot of work to do and undoubtedly there will be many more improvements as we work together.  Thank you all for your detailed and thoughtful insights.  This joint effort is what sets GCU apart.

Mike

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #45 - Jun 24th, 2008, 6:29pm

Which is it?
As Deborah says:
(hello Deborah, could you introduce yourself?)
Quote from Mike_47592 on Jun 24th, 2008, 6:18pm:

ARTIST DISCOUNT PRICING
Our new pricing and artist fee structure does affect artist net pricing. As a result we are reducing the price we offer artists who use the artist promotion code to $1.89 (which would be up to 99 cards). The artist will receive an artist fee of $.28 (15%), thus an effective rate of $1.61. This is not as favorable as the current plan, however, as I mentioned in my original post we can no longer afford to lose money on card sales. Additionally, shipping costs hopefully will decrease to offset part of the difference.

Or as Mike said:
Quote from Mike_47592 on Jun 20th, 2008, 12:30pm:

Price Range of Card Sold Artist Fee Percentage
$2.29 - $2.79 20%
$1.89 - $2.28 15%
$1.70 - $1.88 12%
$.50 - $1.69 10%

Our new suggested pricing for Assorted Card Orders is -

Quantity per order of Assorted Card Price Related Artist Fee
1 – 24 $2.79 20% = $.56
25 – 49 $2.49 20% = $.50
50 - 99 $2.29 20% = $.46
100 – 499 $1.79 12% = $.21
500 – 999 $1.49 10% = $.15
1,000 – Plus $1.39 10% = $.14

Mike Fake
CFO, BigDates Solutions
Greeting Card Universe

Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
Mike_47592
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #46 - Jun 24th, 2008, 6:46pm

Ernestine, just so there is no confusion the post you saw from Deborah was my post.  When I posted there was a glitch.  It was corrected in about two minutes.  You just happened to jump in during that time.

Sorry for the confusion.

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #47 - Jun 24th, 2008, 6:54pm

Mike-

So I am to understand that since the artist discount reduces the price and the fee is now a percentage of price our net fee will be based on the discounted price?  

Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #48 - Jun 24th, 2008, 7:52pm

Yo...Mike

I am very happy to have the opportunity to post feedback into this matter, it is heart warming to know that what one suggests counts.  That is one of the issues that sets GCU apart, and makes it a special, supportive place for artists and buyers.  I like being a part of this community.  I am so happy with the quality of the cards I have ordered for review.  I am delighted with the sales of my cards...I have absolutely no complaints at this time.....bada ...
bing...bada...boom....

BADA
I must share that I am concerned that with the new 'printing partner'...is that what it is called?  Am concerned that quality might be sacrificed.  I strongly insist that I see, or SOME artist sees, the quality of the card, stock, color resolution, integrity,to 5X7, 7x5 etc., of the new printer partner.

BING
Has the issue that was brought up, sorry don't remember the artist's name, Tom?..that on quantity/bulk shipping to artists might be reduced if envelopes weren't included?   This might be a BIG CONSIDERATION in regards to bulk sales, and IN PARTICULAR to anyone here who might be interested in selling their cards via store, kiosks, etc.

BOOM
This evening I was  approached the shop owner of a Florist Shoppe.....She would like to feature my cards.  I want to provide that service, of course.  Wonder when new pricing for bulk might be available, if I can save more $ (and make more) by providing my own envelopes.....can you address this issue please?  I also WANT TO KNOW WHEN THE ARTIST CREDITS ARE FEATURED ON THE BACK OF THE CARDS so I don't compromise the quality of the image by having annoying info on the front, i.e., copyright,  and I include my GCU url which is LONF, though sometimes is a design element...www.gcuniverse/flyinghorsedesign

BADA< BING BADDA BOOM< BADDA ........WHATEVER>>>>>>>

I agree that white card envelopes are a turn off...........HELP?...ADVICE?

Linda....in case you didn't know....
YO......"THE GODDESS":, ROLMAO

Email   IP Logged
Colleen_131607
artist

Reply #49 - Jun 24th, 2008, 9:49pm

I'm not quite so sure what I think of the whole scenario.  If I'm seeing this correctly, what I have made so far would have taken a serious hit under this pricing structure (with only the possibility and prayers of sales increasing).  

The fact is my "bulk" orders tend to fall mostly in the 100-200 range in quantity and are the "bulk" of my sales here.   I sell a bulk of 3000 and I still make what I would have made at a far more marketable level in number of cards.  Looking at the last year at a glance, I would have made less than half of what I did if I'm figuring correctly (which I might certainly be not, considering the time of day).  And it's neither here nor there but a quarter of what I make at other PODS in a month as opposed to a year here.  That $30 raise I would have gotten would not offset the hit I took at the other end.  But....I do like it here very much as opposed to some others out there and others up and coming.  Will I leave...no.  Will I pay for my childrens tuition...no.

I don't come around here to the forum too much so it was actually the first I read about it so perhaps in a bit, I shall feel differently once I wrap my head around it.  

Now, is this what it takes to stay afloat and grow overall in the big picture...business is business and I understand that.  I would like to see GCU continue and grow.  Bulk prices were definitely overdue but there is a rather drastic drop off in commissions.  I just hoped to see increases in profit at my end and I'm not confident I will.  Again, not to cause ill will but trying to wrap my tired head around it.  

I do agree that artist info should be included on back of cards at record speed.  What sets GCU apart is the small amount of recognition given individuals by allowing our storefronts.  I certainly feel GCU and it's parent companies should be on the back of our cards but ALSO the individual artist branding ability.  You allow me to market MY brand on the back of cards and I'll market YOUR brand much more.  THAT is the win-win situation.  Absolutely no reason that billboard couldn't be shared.  It could actually be worked into the noneditable portion of the back with space below for our editable portion. (gotta keep fulfillment providers happy).

There, I have stated my case though flawed it may be.  It is not for debate purposes but rather to be heard.

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #50 - Jun 24th, 2008, 10:26pm

I too would really like to see an example from the new printing partner.  The great quality of the cards up to this point has been an extremely important part of the stew.  I would hate to be offering a card of a certain caliber and then not be able to supply that.  As well as being able to see the artists credits on the back.  We'd been waiting so long for this, particularly to be able to market our cards locally, I would hope that the cards will be of the same quality.

I'm afraid after all the work I've done to secure a market for my cards locally, it most likely will not be feasible with the new structure, as the volumes are in the amounts where there is no profit to be made by the GCU store owner for his or her own "beat the streets" marketing endeavors, especially when their can be no guarantee of quality.   cry  More power to those who's markets can bear a retail price that will make it worth it.

I do hope that the new pricing and whatever the new marketing plans are will help to sell many more cards for GCU.  I just think there is a piece of this puzzle that is missing and that has to do with what individual artists can do to promote bulk sales themselves given the right tools and incentive.  I've said it before, but I honestly believe that the artists right here on GCU could do a lot more to promote their own stores (for big sales) and thus promote all GCU. Their should be more venues to promote certain types of cards, occasions even styles, and tools for store owners to participate.

Not everyone here on GCU is interested in huge sales (bulk or otherwise) and are are happy to sell a few cards here and there to friends and family.  There are others that use it is make extra "pin money" and then others who make an integral part of their living from their art and other online ventures.  And one can tell who these folks are, they have lots of cards for all occasions all profiles and they update constantly and WORK at marketing.  This helps get folks to GCU and to see all the other cards.  I, for one, would like to know what kind of marketing and promotion is in the works.

Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #51 - Jun 25th, 2008, 4:45am

All -

I have analyzed the last 30 days of sales and, first off, WE HAD A GREAT MONTH.  GCU sold over 11,000 cards, a full 23% higher than the prior month.  We jumped from selling 298 cards/day to 367 cards/day.  AWESOME!

But here's the interesting part, 99.27% of the orders were for under 25 cards.  This is exactly what GCU has told us as well.  I find it to be very wonderful that GCU has increased our Artist fee by 12% in this range, actually matching the percent increase in shopper's price in this range.  They are sharing the increase with us, exactly 50/50.  I will take my "raise" and buy gas.  They will use theirs and grow the business.

I also find it to be wonderful that they have reduced the Artist Price to $1.89, when frankly, I expected it to go up in line with the shopper's price.  Again, they listened and established a net cost to us that isn't a money loser for GCU, and close to where we were before at $1.49 net.  They are demonstrating equitable profit sharing and good business methods with this new structure.  You won't find this too many places in life.  It should allow GCU to grow which will benefit us all.

Also, there were only a few orders over 100 cards last month, out of 4331 orders, so reducing our price at the higher volume end is really an effort to tap a market where we aren't getting sales.  It would only take a few additional orders per month at the higher qty levels to generate a higher net total commission payout to artists.  The $1.79 price at Qty 100 is pretty attractive, so I would not be surprised to see a significant increase in orders above 100, which will be fantastic to see happen!

They are also focusing on S&H costs, which currently adds 29-cents per card at Qty 100.  As Mike mentioned, if this can be trimmed, the Artist's net cost will be helped allowing the retail-store option, like Denise is pursuing, to be still a "Go."  Smiley

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #52 - Jun 25th, 2008, 9:20am

Quote from Mike_47592 on Jun 24th, 2008, 6:18pm:

ARTIST DISCOUNT PRICING
Our new pricing and artist fee structure does affect artist net pricing.  As a result we are reducing the price we offer artists who use the artist promotion code to $1.89 (which would be up to 99 cards).  The artist will receive an artist fee of $.28 (15%), thus an effective rate of $1.61.  This is not as favorable as the current plan, however, as I mentioned in my original post we can no longer afford to lose money on card sales.  Additionally, shipping costs hopefully will decrease to offset part of the difference.

CARD PRICING OF 100 – 499 RANGE
This has been the main area of discussion.  We had this debate internally prior to suggesting this range.  The major factors in our decision were competitive pricing, historical sales and the cost of printing and fulfillment.  

I believe the posts have shown examples of competitive pricing that support our suggested pricing.  We believe that a quantity break of 100 has significance and the price should reflect this with a significant impact.  

We have had only 63 orders to date between 100 and 499 cards and are disappointed in this number.  We believe pricing is a major contributor and with our goal of selling more cards we need to be aggressive with pricing in this range.  At this time we believe the pricing for over 100 cards has to be significantly less than our current price of $1.89.  We don’t believe that graduating the tiers in this area would show that significant impact.

Hopefully you will follow our reasoning behind our suggestions.  Again keep in mind these lower priced/lower artist fee orders are for the most part sales we are not capturing today.  Our long-term goal is to increase card sales 1,000 plus fold in a profitable manner for both GCU and you.  We have a lot of work to do and undoubtedly there will be many more improvements as we work together.  Thank you all for your detailed and thoughtful insights.  This joint effort is what sets GCU apart.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your reply and explanation ... that helps clear up my question.  Actually, one of Tom's previous posts about Artist's discount led me to think that might be the missing link in the equation.  So, now I do understand the reasoning behind the sharp step-down pricing/commission at the assorted 100 qty range -- I *think*.  

I only have a few minutes here today and look forward to reading all the subsequent posts of the last day or so when I have a bit more time ... but I just wanted to let you know that your prompt and detailed reply are very much appreciated.  

Just a quick aside ... I agree with you that the 100-499 range is a very important one, particularly with the upcoming Holiday season approaching.  The more of those we can attract and build upon--even with significantly discounted pricing/fees, the more it will help increase sales in ALL of the other ranges as well.  There are understandable concerns such as those expressed by Denise, Ernestine, and Colleen ... but in the big picture, this venture is a leap of faith for all of us.  As volume sales increase, along with individual and small qty sales at the slightly higher pricing, I believe that our mutual faith in both GCU (the company) and the hard-working artists here will be realized.  

Again, Mike, thanks for your input ... and thanks for asking for ours!

Teri

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #53 - Jun 25th, 2008, 10:15am

Hi Mike, I think its a great idea also! Hugs, Janet Lee/jlp

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Jun 25th, 2008, 10:50am

Ernestine, I believe Tom has seen a card from the new printer (he quality tested the back of card credits), and in another thread, if I'm not mistaken, he said he was very pleased by the quality (I'm paraphrasing here).

How 'bout it, Tom? Am I hallucinating?  Wink

Corrie

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #55 - Jun 25th, 2008, 11:31am

Yes, I did report good results.   I received about a dozen of my cards, actually, from them.  I saw zero printing difference.  GCU knows that superior printing quality is critical, and I don't believe they are willing to sacrifice that.  That being said, the new printing partner may have a learning curve where some concerns may surface.  For instance, I received these dozen cards in a flat envelope via Fedex Ground.  I would have preferred a "box" via USPS like I have been used to. The flat package bent the "end" cards a bit and creased 2 envelopes.  That was the reason GCU had this partner in "test" mode, to assure all parts of the process were satisfactory.  GCU since has been funneling some orders to the new printing partner for more than a month now, and so-far-so-good it seems.    

I'm confident that the new partner will be as good, if not better, than the existing one.  GCU also has indicated that some advanced options will be available through the new partner beyond just the Bulk printing option announced recently (which uses traditional offset printing vs. POD), so more surprises lie ahead perhaps. Smiley

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #56 - Jun 25th, 2008, 12:21pm

Here's a scenario I see that could potentially raise questions for some.  Take the artists that may now have regular sales in the 10-15 (of a card) range, something which is probably pretty common. (50¢ commission 50¢ discount if self purchasing. . . cool beans)  

Now, under the new system it's great if those 10-15 cards are the TOTAL sale, it's a raise in commission!  But if these 10-15 cards are part of a bulk 100+ "multi-card" order including a variety of artists, this 10 to 15 card seller is taking a cut of 50 to 80% in selling those same cards.  They are not getting the additional income a "real" (store owner) bulk sale would provide.  Doesn't seem right.  Especially when tools available to keep artists shopping in OUR own store are lacking.  

Hate to sound like a broken record here, but artists REALLY want to promote their OWN cards and have customers buy THEIR cards. . . lots of them!  Good for GCU, good for the artists!  Without some adjustments in this plan and better tools for the individual artist stores where's the incentive?  

As it is, an artist designing specific cards with VERY specific purposes in order for them to be in the reminder serves definitely has the best chance of many individual sales.  But since you can't use keywords or profiling for a card unless the words and image are very clearly in the card, many "generic cards" will never show up in reminders (in other words you can't "suggest" a use for a card) and consequently often not seen by customers.  Don't all purpose, blank cards with a wonderful image on the front have one of the greatest potential for bulk sales???  Card stores and shops sell tons of these and if you are looking at increasing "BULK" sales wouldn't those sell more than Happy Labor Day sister-in-law??

Or am I just way off base?  I see what cards sell in shops,  I see what shop keepers are buying. . . big businesses buy cards in bulk, too . . .  I know it seems I am complaining, I'm not really.  I want GCU to succeed.  The Artist/participants are GCU's greatest asset. . . in providing product AND for marketing that product if given more tools.  It's really too bad that the artist's credit we'd waiting so long for (a great tool for outside marketing) comes on the heals of reduced commission for bulk sales.  

Tom- I would really like to see a copy of one of MY own cards from the new printer since detail, crop and COLOR issues are extremely important and may not be as evident in your cards.

Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #57 - Jun 25th, 2008, 2:57pm

for me it is also about finish on the cards.  ie. the differences we have spoken of between matte and gloss and the quality of the gloss finish itself.  the printer i use for my custom cards / art cards has an unreal , amazing level of gloss on their gloss cards, they are so gorgeous.  and in case you are asking why i am not using them on this project , it is because of minimum orders for each design.  but the cost and shipping is great with them when i need to order a bulk amount of one design it is a no brainer, i will go with them for my local interest cards downtown.

i noticed with our current print partner a "rippling" for lack of a better word in the gloss finish on my last card.  i have seen this before from a company i used to print postcards for me.  i am of course comparing them to the other partner i use for my art cards which may not be fair in one respect, but price wise competitive per card in quantity.  

i am waiting on two cards from our new partner, to compare to current cards from our current partner.  i requested this since i am on a big deadline.  they have been shipped so hopefully i can speak on the quality as well very soon.

Email   IP Logged
Mike_47592
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #58 - Jun 25th, 2008, 7:20pm

Hello everyone.  Again I want to thank you for your feedback.

We encourage you to work with us as we attempt to increase our sales 100 fold and beyond.  In order to accomplish this goal changes are necessary.  If we all succeed with this goal, any concerns today will long be forgotten.  

For those still concerned about net pricing, I am hopeful you will soon see some additional price relief with shipping costs.  Even holding shipping costs steady is a win as shipping costs are increasing everywhere as a result of increases in energy costs.

The quality of our cards is of upmost concern to us.  The switch to our new printing and fulfillment partner and quality control testing has taken several months and was no small feat.  It is nice to hear that some of the artists have thoroughly analyzed the quality of cards from our new partner and are pleased.  If you have concerns, my recommendation is to purchase one of your cards and see for yourself.  As of today, all cards are now going through our new partner as we perform final testing.  Mindy will be posting an official announcement tomorrow.  To let a cat out of the hat on one item, artist recognition on the back of the cards is now available.

Quickly to address the discussion of envelopes - we are unable to send some orders with envelopes and some orders without envelopes.  The option of not including envelopes in orders is not available at this time.

To clarify a question as to how the artist fee will be calculated on artist discount pricing – the artist fee will be calculated on the discounted price.  So the artist fee is 15% of $1.89 or $.28 per card.  There is no magic here.  The general rule is that if a discount or promotion is extended to the customer, we all have to share it.

Lastly, we are planning on the new pricing going into effect on July 1st, which is next  Tuesday.  So plan accordingly.

We are looking forward to all the flexibility and additional functionality our new printing and fulfillment partner will be bringing us as well as increasing sales.

Have a great day.

Mike

Email   IP Logged
Norval_132688
Gold Member
artist

Reply #59 - Jun 25th, 2008, 8:07pm

Thank You Mike, and Shaun a big thanks to you today, my logo on back of card will have no distortion.

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #60 - Jun 25th, 2008, 8:23pm

Quote from Norval_132688 on Jun 25th, 2008, 8:07pm:
Thank You Mike, and Shaun a big thanks to you today, my logo on back of card will have no distortion.

norval what did you do differently?  i checked mine and portrait are fine, landscape is smushed into a rectangle.

Email   IP Logged
Norval_132688
Gold Member
artist

Reply #61 - Jun 25th, 2008, 9:06pm

Denise, I use photoshop, I checked the width of my design in image size. Shaun, told me max---width was 185 pixels, I was at 200, that was what was causing the distortion.  I checked the constrain proportions box, changed the width to 185, all the distortion disappeared!     Hope this helps..............Norval

Email   IP Logged
Norval_132688
Gold Member
artist

Reply #62 - Jun 25th, 2008, 9:11pm

Denise, don't go by the logo you see on the forum.  They're still distorted, 'posted before I made the change, and I guess refresh doesn't work on e-mails?

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #63 - Jun 26th, 2008, 6:52am

SmileyGreat, sounds just fine to me too!
Thank you for this opportunity as well, I do appreciate GCU and have just recently told some more artist friends about it!

Cherie

Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #64 - Jun 26th, 2008, 7:28am

There has been so much discussion here...wow! I am pretty happy with the proposed changes. Whatever price reductions we can pass on to customers will surely bring more clicks and customers to GCU and more exposure to artists work.  
Cherie- I told my DAWG group (Designing Artists Women's Group) about GCU and several have joined and are creating cards now also. So I am excited. I have several friends from Ebay here as well. I hope they will enjoy it as much as I have since I have been here.  
I like the new card credits addition on the back of the cards too. That is very exciting.  
The last few times I ordered cards- I could tell a small difference in them, such as the card stock seemed alittle lighter- but just a tad and not very noticable. As far as color- I was pleased. So many printers are different so it is hard to tell how designs will look until you are holding the finished product in your hand. But for the most part, I have been pretty pleased with all of the cards I have ordered from GCU.  
I'd like to see different sizes become available someday soon. And possibly stationary and notepads. I believe there is room for those items to be added and it would open new avenues for our artwork as well. Boxed sets of stationary would really be nice- but I would take anything I could get. That might allow us to travel other avenues in the school systems for fundraising projects and things to do our part for community involvement. It would light a path of awareness for our little site here. lol But those are ideas for another day another time. If we could expand into new territories and put a brochure of those items together for schools, churches and other groups- man- what a beautiful world it would be! Wonder if we can put that on a to do list...hmm...lol
Anyhow- I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses and being a part of it all. Thanks for that GCU! Pretty cool! Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #65 - Jun 26th, 2008, 10:06am

I just received cards from the new printer ... very happy with what I see!    Grin

Tammy is right, the cardstock is definitely a bit lighter, but that's something I expected would happen in time due to costs.  I think most card recipients won't even notice the difference, it's just that we are very attentive to these nuances, so I don't think it really compromises the quality in any significant way.  I'm over the top delighted with the gloss finish cards, which I use mostly for my photo cards.  But there are some that I prefer the matte finish on, and the only difference that I noticed on those is that they seem to be about 10% on the darker side than with the old printer.  Again, I don't see this as a problem, in fact some looked nicer that way ... but it is something that you may want to be aware of if you use the matte finish on your cards.  There are a few of mine I may have to adjust for color/tone balance with the new printer.  Other than that ... it all looks really good!  

They didn't have the boc's yet when I placed my order ... cry  so I don't know how it will look ... oh, well, I'll just have to come up with a good squirrel-hugging image and order more again soon!    Smiley

Now that I've had a chance to digest the new pricing a bit more, I'm excited that we may soon be able to break open the bulk sales market, and I'm of the mind to see what happens over the next 6-8 months.  We know that GCU is very responsive to our needs and wishes and very adaptive to the market trends ... so I say, let's give it a chance.  And when (not if!) those bulk sales start coming in at greater frequency and volume, I think we'll all be pretty happy with results.   Wink

Teri

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #66 - Jun 26th, 2008, 10:36am

Hi all,  
I too just received my first card from the new printer.  Card stock lighter and I actually like it better.  Whiter too, another plus as far as I'm concerned.
However....I am not satisfied with the cut edges.  The top and right (opening) edge of the front were messy...I sure hope this was a fluke.  The edges on my old cards from old printer were flawless...  Please artists, let me know of your results.
Sue

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #67 - Jun 26th, 2008, 11:14am

Hi Sue and Teri,
I was reading that you got cards from the new printer today.  I actually received an order today too--mailed on 6/23.  How would I know if it is from the new printer?  Would like to know if it is the new printer because they were really beautiful.  In fact, my daughter commented that the printed cards actually looked better than they did on the web!
Kathy

Email   IP Logged
Norval_132688
Gold Member
artist

Reply #68 - Jun 26th, 2008, 12:07pm

Denise, just checked your site!  Get a hold of Shaun I don't know what to tell You!
Your card 'Lilli' Wonderful, Outstanding, Teriffic, ---------------------------------------
I love it! ....................................Norval

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #69 - Jun 26th, 2008, 12:32pm

Quote from Kathy_131728 on Jun 26th, 2008, 11:14am:
Hi Sue and Teri,
I was reading that you got cards from the new printer today. I actually received an order today too--mailed on 6/23. How would I know if it is from the new printer? Would like to know if it is the new printer because they were really beautiful. In fact, my daughter commented that the printed cards actually looked better than they did on the web!
Kathy

Cards from the new printer will have your artist credits on the back of the card.

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #70 - Jun 26th, 2008, 1:21pm

Thanks Mindy.  Now I know what to look for.  I guess this last batch came from the old printer.
Kathy

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #71 - Jun 26th, 2008, 2:28pm

My, my, my!  We can now have longer verses.  My stiffled poetic muse has been given an open range!  Thank you printer-gods...
Sue

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2008, 5:53pm by Sue_132963 »  
Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #72 - Jun 26th, 2008, 3:56pm

Email   IP Logged
Norval_132688
Gold Member
artist

Reply #73 - Jun 26th, 2008, 4:11pm

Mindy, on 200 by 200 pixels had terrible distortion, Shaun had me change to 185 width and constrain proportions, problem was fixed.  Mine was graphic with type though.

Email   IP Logged
Gina_133039
artist

Reply #74 - Jun 27th, 2008, 8:58pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on Jun 25th, 2008, 11:31am:
I received these dozen cards in a flat envelope via Fedex Ground. I would have preferred a "box" via USPS like I have been used to. The flat package bent the "end" cards a bit and creased 2 envelopes.
TOM

My cards have never been delivered in a "box", but always in a flat envelope.  There has been a crease or two... If the flat envelope is used, it should be heavy and not easily damaged.

gina

Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Reply #75 - Jul 1st, 2008, 8:17am

I know I am late again...LOL  But I just want to say thank you MIKE and thank you GCU!  I love GCU Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Margot_133341
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #76 - Jul 1st, 2008, 1:06pm

I am not a numbers person. But it seems to me that GCU has the artest in mind in all thier decisions. As far as I can see it looks like a good thing for all of us.  
Pretty much the main cost to me is the time it takes for me to make and post new cards. My designs are recieving more exposure than they would otherwise. Every sale big or small is money I would not have made. I have no costs out of pocket to have a presence here the commision schedule seems very fair. I have been very happy with GCU. The interest in the artest and quick responce to our feed back is exceptional.  
That you even put this out for our feed back is in my mind very positive.  
I am excited to see how GCU continues to grow and develop. I think this is a great place to be and I am glad to be a part of this community of artist and business people.

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #77 - Jul 2nd, 2008, 3:57am

I see the new prices are now in effect, and I assume the new Artist fee plan as well.

Artist FAQ Q15 needs updating then.

And where is the Bulk Shipping rates shown to shoppers (3000+)?

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #78 - Jul 2nd, 2008, 3:14pm

Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #79 - Jul 25th, 2008, 3:30pm

Ouch- didn't realize how much this new pricing method would affect artist's commissions, but when we have orders included with other people's orders and the comission drops to 12%- it really drops.  
I like the idea of new sales opportunities, but it drops our commission to under half the amount.  cry

« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2008, 11:23am by Tammy_131374 »  
Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #80 - Jul 26th, 2008, 11:25am

Wow- I just figured this out- the commission dropped .33 cents per card.  
When this proposal went up- I didn't think about being included in bulk orders with all artists- that makes a real difference. The way this is set up- an artist may only sell 10 cards, but if his or her order is included in a bulk order then they still only receive 12% commission.  Shocked

On an order of let's say 40 cards for instance- if I want to take the 6 cent increase that I make on regular card  purchases to make up the difference in reduced commission- I would have to sell 220 cards to do this.  
 Or for every 10 cards- 55 cards to make up the reduction. undecided

Email   IP Logged
Ruth_131575
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #81 - Jul 28th, 2008, 3:46pm

Well, I have to say....this totally sucks when you are included in a bulk order with another artist. Big commission drop. I'm very disappointed  cry

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #82 - Jul 29th, 2008, 12:09pm

Most of these combination/mixed orders are shoppers filling up their cart with cards they love.  Lots of impulse buying.  They load up their cart with enough cards to hit a price break.  

If the price incentive was not there many of these impulse buyers would buy fewer cards.  That means some artists would not be included in the sale at all.

It all depends on your perspective - be part of the sale and get something or no sale at all.    Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #83 - Jul 29th, 2008, 9:07pm

Yes- this is probably right Mindy. Really- I am just glad to be here  Smiley After seeing the huge difference- it is a little bit of a shock I guess, but ultimately yes- we all have to be willing to work together and listen to each other to grow together!

Email   IP Logged
_132335
artist

Reply #84 - Jul 29th, 2008, 11:38pm

I think my sales has gone up after the new prices, I see on the mail I get at each sale that most of my sales are a part of more sales than the amount of mine.
I don't mind being picked in an impulse sale, then I get noticed and I get a sale Smiley

So I guess, after a while now, with the new prices, I have increased my sales Smiley
And I am satisfied with it for now Smiley

Thank You

Big Huggs
/Inge Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #85 - Jul 30th, 2008, 4:56am

My sales have also picked up, and since we got a 12% raise on July 1, from 50-cents to 56-cents per card in low qty, this more than offsets the few cards that I might sell as part of a much larger card order where the per-card price (and commissions) are lower.  

The more cards we get out there will lead to more customers, and 99% of these customers will buy in low qty on a regular basis where we each get 56-cents/card.  I'm liking it! Wink

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_131549
artist

Reply #86 - Oct 25th, 2008, 5:41am

Hi,
I was aware of the change of prices and comm. but didn't really appreciate how much it would effect my commission until now.  
I have just had a bulk sale of 48 cards which would have been a nice comm. rate for these 48 cards under the old comm. rates, but under the new terms/pricing I have only made $6.96. That, I have to say is disappointing for 48 cards sold.
No only that, but buying my own cards (one here, one there) has gone up as well (due to price increase of card + postage to UK) that its roughly costing £2.50 per card. In the Uk, we can get really nice hand-made/crafted cards for this, so in all honesty I'm not seeing the benefit for the artist.
Sorry, GCU, I love the site and really enjoy designing cards but the incentive has gone for me to buy my own cards (even with the artist discount), let alone other talented artists' cards here (which cost me more) who have some fantastic cards.  
Sorry to everyone if this sounds negative, I'm sure others are doing better due to the price change but my sales have gone down in general as well, although I do do Ok at Xmas time.

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #87 - Oct 25th, 2008, 1:12pm

Hi Catherine!

First, congrats on your bulk sale ... the customer has good taste!  It sounds like your cards were part of a larger bulk or assortment sale ... and I am sorry that you hit by the low discount royalty.  But as Mindy as said, that sale might not have happened at all at old pricing structure.  Think of it this way ... at least 48 people are going to receive one of your beautiful cards -- show them to friends and family -- and I'm sure many of them will be visiting your GCU store and ringing up more sales at the higher commission rates.  At least I certainly hope so for you!  

Hopefully, we will see more and more large bulk sales in 2009, but the key to it is generating enough volume sales on both the individual and smaller bulks to offset the larger bulk discounts.  I think that GCU is working on this ... I believe their priority right now is making the site more attractive to buyers, which we all hope will keep shoppers here longer (meaning they are more likely to buy) and have them return often.  So, hang in there Catherine ... I'm sure you will see many more bulk sales -- at some higher royalties -- with the coming holidays!   Smiley

Hope all is well you, hubby and the little one!  Congrats again on that sale!    Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Ruth_131575
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #88 - Oct 25th, 2008, 5:27pm

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Catherine.  

I just made a whopping $1.79 on the sale of 12 cards that were part of a bulk sale. That's a whole $0.15 per card.  

It's nice that the volume discounts bring in sales for GCU but I don't see any benefit to the artist here. Being part of a bulk sale or having no sales at all....hmmm, let me see....$1.79....my time making them is worth more than that.  

I don't mean to be negative either but at that royalty, I might as well just give my cards away.  

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #89 - Oct 27th, 2008, 2:41pm

The bulk sale in question was a recent 636 card order to a Montessori School which included 22 different artists.  The shopper purchased a wide variety of age specific birthday cards and was quite price sensitive (we offered them free shipping to nudge the sale).

A nice win to
1) secure a relatively large sale
2) have so many artists included/represented

You are right, the alternative to earning something is to earn nothing.  

Since your card is made for general sales and not just for this one customer at this price point shouldn't any and all sales be welcomed - big or small, bulk price or full price?

Email   IP Logged
Ruth_131575
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #90 - Oct 27th, 2008, 4:21pm

Not necessarily Mindy. It all depends on how badly one needs a sale.  

Quite frankly, I find your replies on this particular issue to be a little condescending.  

I read over and over on this forum about how people are so glad to be here and how they are just so happy to have a place to sell their cards, however, the alternative to earning "something" is definitely not nothing.  

I ask you, how long would GCU last if they were willing to just earn "something"? In that case, why not price your cards to the public at $something and just be grateful for whatever you get because you are "happy" to have a business selling cards?  

Perhaps it's okay if you just want to earn "something" but if you want to run a business, then something doesn't cut it. This is not my hobby, it's my living.

To be honest, I'd rather pay a membership fee to GCU, let you guys take the hits on the volume discounts and realize a decent commission. You can't sell cards without the artists who make them and it just seems to me that it's always the artist who gets taken advantage of. There are so many of us, we're a dime a dozen so to speak and that's why POD companies always have the upper hand.

You can ask us for and listen to our feedback and concerns but the bottom line is that you're always going to do what's right for the company even if it adversely affects the artist.  

You cloud everything over by telling us that it's going to bring in more customers and more sales but that doesn't change the facts.  

I just wonder how many others are bothered by this but just won't speak up. It's always just the "regulars" saying how wonderful it is.

Sorry but I have to say how I feel.  

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #91 - Oct 27th, 2008, 11:48pm

True, on bulk orders we don't make the same amount of commission as before. However, GCU splits the profit between themselves and the artists, so if you make 15 cents on a sale, so does GCU. Personally, we don't feel exploited. We still sell lots of cards in the 56-cent range, and the extra 6 cents per card does add up.

This not a hobby for us, either - we make our total income from our art at various POD sites including GCU, and have done for several years. Making sales at our sites is a deadly serious business to us since what we earn makes the difference between putting food on the table or going hungry. We wouldn't stick with a company we didn't beleve in.

Here's a thought to keep in mind - unless a card is really specialized for a single customer, then every card you make can be sold over and over again to different customers. Do the work once, sell forever. We have cards that sell on a regular basis which were uploaded to GCU way back in the beginning. Time well spent, we believe, since every card we create and upload has the potential to earn, either as a single sale of 56 cent commission, or as part of a larger bulk sale. And earn over and over again, which is the beauty of it. Not to mention that every card out there in the world has the potental to draw new customers to your store, since they have your logo and URL on the back.

As for sales and revenue... numbers don't lie. We've seen our card sales increase since the new pricing structure, as has our commission. For example, comparing the month of October 2007 and 2008... yes, our cards have been part of some large bulk sales, earning us less per card on those particular sales. However, running the numbers finds that our earned commission has gone up 300% for the month, last year to this year. And September saw an increase of 200%.

The new pricing structure seems to be working well in drawing more customers to GCU and making us more sales.

Corrie

Email   IP Logged
Ruth_131575
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #92 - Oct 28th, 2008, 1:22am

Hi Corrie,

I've been selling my art successfully on POD sites for almost 9 years now. Deadly serious business is right and everything has the potential to sell over and over and it does.  

In fact, this year has been a record year especially in prints and posters. I've seen a 200% increase in my own personal sales on Allposters alone even without the help of volume discounts to draw customers in.  

All that I see happening here is that there will be more bulk sales at the discounted rates paying us a lower commission. There is just no way that our individual sales at the higher commission will even come close to offsetting these discounts nomatter how many new people see our logos. I think you have to be a bit more realistic than that. Seems like a great plan now but I'm not convinced.

For the artists who sell a lot of individual cards, that's wonderful and God bless them but for the majority, I don't think it'll be long before they become very discontented. Especially with most of the other POD sites having the option of setting their own royalty rates.

You're basically saying the same thing as I expect Mindy to say, however, the fact remains, that the commission really isn't worth the trouble. It'll be a lonnnnnnnng time and a heck of a lot of sales before those individual cards add up in amounts big enough to offset the huge discounts.  

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm just looking at the big picture. What with the ability to set your own royalty rates, the volume bonuses and the added affiliate referral percentages, I don't know of any other POD site that pays as low as 15 cents.  

At 56 cents it's worth it, even 25 cents is acceptable but 15 cents is getting ridiculous, no wonder it brings in more customers, why wouldn't it?  

The chances are pretty high that our sales will consistenly be part of a bulk sale and therefore, we can expect to be making 15 cents on a regular basis.  

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #93 - Oct 28th, 2008, 1:41am

Ruth, I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. The majority of sales at GCU are not bulk sales but individual card sales at a higher commission rate than we were getting before. The majority of customers aren't buying in large bulk numbers. Those that are, we consider a bonus as they wouldn't have bought cards at the higher price anyway.

Corrie

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #94 - Oct 28th, 2008, 5:30am

Corrie, your response was virtually identical to the one I was about to post - and you said it so nicely.  I also wanted to add that GCU involved Artists in setting the new pricing and they responded by "offsetting" our concerns about low commissions on large qty mixed sales by increasing our sub-25 card qty order commission by 12% (+$0.06/card).  We all went on faith that the new pricing structure would increase sales and bottom line profit/commissions for Artists and GCU, and it appears to have worked.

My single card sales and bottom line commissions have also jumped since this change was made, and I am now getting orders for 30, 40, and 100 (pending a customer requested change) that never would have happened without the new pricing structure. With the Back of the Card credits added at about the same time, we appear to be turning card receivers into new card buyers.  Really cool.

I have previously posted that these changes and others are allowing GCU to grow at a pace not unlike EBAY in its early days. Within a few years many artists will see daily card sales in the 100s and even 1000s/day with daily commissions we never dreamed were possible ($100s to $1000s/day).  Many more people in the world will be enjoying our art and our humor (in my case) which is really what most of us want to achieve with our work.

Best of luck to all -

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Delores_132508
Gold Member
artist

Reply #95 - Oct 28th, 2008, 5:43am

I agree with you, Tom.   Yes, the commissions do go down on the bulk sales, but we get that extra 6 cents on the single sales.   Every time one of my cards is sold, I feel that a nice advertisement has just gone out for my store because of the credits on the back.

Email   IP Logged
Angela_134247
Gold Member
artist

Reply #96 - Oct 28th, 2008, 6:52am

I have had very few sales where I lost money because of bulk purchases, and I know I do pretty well here. I have seen sales soar since the rates changed. If I did sell a huge amount of cards, I would be thrilled, simply because 1. I didn't have to pay for printing or shipping or materials. 2. My card would now be sent to tons of people with my web address on the back of it. I'm getting paid to advertise my own shop! Those cards sent could generate more smaller orders that get me more commission. In this business, advertising is everything. Since I have joined this site in July, I have seen my card sales increase by about 30 percent every month. In this day and age, there is no stock in the stock market that is doing that well! That must mean that the site administraters, along with all of us, are doing some kind of fantastic job getting the word out to everyone!

Email   IP Logged
Gina_133039
artist

Reply #97 - Oct 28th, 2008, 11:42am

Smiley Corrie & Tom... I agree with what has been said by both of you.  My sales doubled in the second quarter and, after the pricing structure change in July, they tripled in the third quarter from the first.  I've had a few bulk sales and have been part of bulk sales.  I've had many 15 & under bulks that still give me the 0.56 pricing, which is a .06 raise from the previous structure.  I started selling cards pretty much right off the bat, an amazing blessing on me, and they have steadily increased since the first.  The great thing about GCU is there is no contract.  If you are unhappy with the policy, pricing, procedure, etc., you can opt out.  There's no printing fee or hoofing it around town to try to hawk cards and then make a nickel per once you pay for printing and gas.   I personally think that GCU is a fantastic place to get the cards out there for the world to see and if one is patient enough, have the potential to become a huge moneymaker.  And now, with the back of the card credits, each card in circulation has the potential to bring a new customer to our store. The extra income it brings me has come in very handy.   I've been selling prints and doing private shootings for years and didn't make a fortune.  It was hard work while GCU is easy.  I create and they do everything else. GCU is not a get rich quick scheme.  It takes patience and perseverance to make it work.  And personally, I feel very well cared for and certainly not taken advantage of.  Have a nice day everyone.

gina

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #98 - Oct 28th, 2008, 2:24pm

Quote from Ruth_131575 on Oct 27th, 2008, 4:21pm:
Not necessarily Mindy. It all depends on how badly one needs a sale.

Quite frankly, I find your replies on this particular issue to be a little condescending.

I read over and over on this forum about how people are so glad to be here and how they are just so happy to have a place to sell their cards, however, the alternative to earning "something" is definitely not nothing.

I ask you, how long would GCU last if they were willing to just earn "something"? In that case, why not price your cards to the public at $something and just be grateful for whatever you get because you are "happy" to have a business selling cards?

Perhaps it's okay if you just want to earn "something" but if you want to run a business, then something doesn't cut it. This is not my hobby, it's my living.

To be honest, I'd rather pay a membership fee to GCU, let you guys take the hits on the volume discounts and realize a decent commission. You can't sell cards without the artists who make them and it just seems to me that it's always the artist who gets taken advantage of. There are so many of us, we're a dime a dozen so to speak and that's why POD companies always have the upper hand.

You can ask us for and listen to our feedback and concerns but the bottom line is that you're always going to do what's right for the company even if it adversely affects the artist.

You cloud everything over by telling us that it's going to bring in more customers and more sales but that doesn't change the facts.

I just wonder how many others are bothered by this but just won't speak up. It's always just the "regulars" saying how wonderful it is.

Sorry but I have to say how I feel.

My apologies for coming across condescending, not my intent.  

The pricing & fees changes were targeted to capture large sales that we were losing because our prices were not competitive.  We literally were turning business away, so frustrating.

We don't see these larger sales overtaking full priced sales, one does not displace the other.  The larger orders are a new set of customers.  Both segments have great growth potential.

As for running a business, certainly we have to keep our head above water which will be quite refreshing since GCU lost money on nearly every card sale before the price and fees changes in July '08.

We will soon be posting here some stats re: 3Q growth.

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_131549
artist

Reply #99 - Oct 29th, 2008, 10:26am

HI,
Just caught up on this thread again. This really is a huge debate and there are strong opinions on both sides.
However, I do stand by what I said - for me, I'm effectively not making as many individual sales to offset the bulk sale (few as they are) at the very low comm. rate and overall my sales have dropped + the cost of me buying one of my own cards is much more now than going out to my local card shop and buying a nice handmade one.
Now, for me it could be that I have slowed right down on designing new cards because any day now I am due to give birth so that is my priority. So, as I am not making many new cards they are not being 'seen'. However, due to the evident reduction is sales and comm. (I always said I would never put my card designs on other sites only GCU) I will be considering this now. If I can make more money on other sites for the same designs I would be silly not to really.
We all have our different reasons for being on GCU (and other sites) and I say good luck to those of us that are doing well from the new pricing system, but, so far, I'm not seeing a benefit, but clearly others are, so good for you.  Smiley
My (personal) answer to this issue is see how it goes and put my card designs on some of my other sites as well. It's more coverage for me and possibly more sales for artwork I've already done.  Wink

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #100 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:27am

I'M not a happy camper with the new pricing...I WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER WITH THE OLD, . THE PERCENTGE GINEN TO ARTIST  is pretty darn low...considering.  Check out the qUALITY THE CREATIVITY...AREN'T WE WORTH MORE????? I THINK SO.  SORRY FOR THE CAPS...Just noticed....   Here is the way I think, GCU goes PUBLIC, and then I would feel much more comfortable... Why hasn't GCU gone public???  I would buy!!!  I do feel that GCU is creating an environment of unhappy artists with the new paymt scale......cheese,,,,,give me more credit formy designs.....50 cents  is not that much, is it?  I have no idea what you overhead is, but my 300+ cards might have helped...did I get 150.00?  nope, for the sLE OF 250 DARDS DID I GET CLOSE TO 125.00???? Nope....Where is the bene?    
Pesky Linda

= CARDS THIS PAST MONTH MUST HAVE HELPED....helpp50 cents should be the cut ogg...I think!

Email   IP Logged
Ruth_131575
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #101 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:34am

Seems like those who have posted are very happy with what they are getting and that's great.  

Corrie, your cards are wonderful and with over 5,000 of them it would be pretty difficult for a customer to pass you by! Congrats on your success!  

All I'm saying is that the other POD sites offer just as much advertising, also sell 100's of cards and you don't have to do any work there either, other than upload your images. I don't get your point here Tom, sorry.

The last sale was better, 5 @ .56 for a total of $2.80 BUT I sold 10 on another POD site the very same day and made $11.80. That was a pretty big "in your face" difference. I just don't see the benefit unless GCU is the only POD site that you sell your cards on. I think that's why I stopped uploading new cards too. I'm just going to leave what I have up and whatever happens, happens. If they get buried and stop selling, that won't matter.

As Mindy mentioned, GCU was losing sales because of the pricing and it wasn't that high to begin with. She also said that she gave free shipping to secure that one order. I find that interesting. Forgive me but it sounds a little desperate to me Mindy and if we all did that, we'd be so far in the hole that we'd never be able to crawl out.

I suppose if you undercut all the other POD sites you will probably get more sales but it sure cheapens our cards and it's really no better than an online dollar store with free shipping to boot.

Despite what I'm rambling on about here, I do like GCU and was very excited about it in the beginning. Thinking our cards were something special. The staff was wonderful and the response time was excellent. I originally signed up with the understanding that we would be paid 50 cents per card The raise was a nice bonus but then the new price structure came into play and everything changed.

I love it when folks chime in with "if you don't like it, leave" - that always cracks me up. It's such a cop out. What is the point to a forum if you can't state your opinion?  You all stated your opinions before but you really had no choice. It was going to take place whether you liked it or not. Also, I am well-aware that it's not a "get rich quick scheme". I've been selling art online long enough to know that.  

I really don't mean to be negative, I just don't see how those of you who sell your cards on other POD sites can't see what I'm saying. I don't understand all this warm fuzziness unless your cards are not selling in the other venues. There are only a few positive responses here. Where are all the other artists?  

Email   IP Logged
Paul_133086
artist

Reply #102 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:53am

OK...so if someone bought 50 of my cards (not all of the same, but a variety), what would their total cost be (including postage)?

Thanks.

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #103 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:54am

Linda, if you sold 300 cards in the 3Q, how much of an increase was that over 2Q?  How many of the the 300 cards were "56-cent" commission sales?

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #104 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:57am

Quote from Paul_133086 on Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:53am:
OK...so if someone bought 50 of my cards (not all of the same, but a variety), what would their total cost be (including postage)?

Thanks.

$129

Email   IP Logged
Paul_133086
artist

Reply #105 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:36pm

Tom....thanks for the reply. So, $114.50 for the cards and $14.50 for postage?

$2.58 per card (including postage), right?

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #106 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 1:39pm

Yes, I assume someone buying 50 would want them sent to themselves with envelopes:

Qty 50 (single card or a mix) = $2.29/card = $114.50
S&H at Qty 50 = $14.50
Total $129 (=$2.58/card effectively)

You can test this by adding 50 cards to your cart then going to checkout to see the total $.  Then remove the item rather than placing the order.

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Paul_133086
artist

Reply #107 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 1:52pm

Thanks again. I have a retailer who has bought my cards in the past (when I had them printed cheaper elsewhere, but of lower quality). So I'm trying to determine what to charge her per card now so that we can both still make a little money. She sells them at her shop for $3.50 each.

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #108 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:04pm

Corrie
Glad to hear that you are profiting from the new structure, I think that in the long run it is a good thing...I guess, because you sell so many cards, that it isn't hitting you as hard, Corrie, but for us wee folk, ka ka poo.........
But, done is done...it is they way it is.  And I understand that it is the way it must be for GCU to survive...I do wish that GCU would go public on the market...I have mentioned that before, to date they haven't...why?
L

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #109 - Nov 12th, 2008, 3:58pm

Here are some promising numbers from 3rd quarter 2008 reflecting the new price and fee changes:

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1226531584

Email   IP Logged
Harry_132595
artist

Reply #110 - Nov 22nd, 2008, 5:51am

I dunno maybe I'm the idiot ....

6 cents more on most sales and the cards went up 30 cents. well OK  

This Christmas on a sale of 50 I will make less here than I did last year on a sale of 50 and I made those sales after I raised my prices.  And those cards were "designed" on 3 faces with my own logo on the back.  They were also more expensive than cards here.  Frankly I was shocked people bought that many at the price ... but they did.  

I hope I never sell a 100 cards in one order ... it's just not worth it.  The break point is 78 cards.  If someone wants 78 cards they can get 100 for the same price.  If they order 100 the artist looses 14 dollars in commissions.

I don't know what it costs GCU to print each card in a batch of 100 but 12% seems ... like a big drop in the commission.

OK so how many times do you sell 100 cards?

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #111 - Feb 17th, 2009, 10:55am

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.