Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Dreamstime (Read 2598 times)
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Dreamstime
Mar 27th, 2008, 9:57am

Anyone here selling stock photos or designs, clip art, etc on www.dreamstime.com?  I just looked at the site and it looks pretty good to me.

Also, does anyone know if I should post an image there for sale if I have to pull that image from my store here?  I didn't see anything on dreamstime about "exclusive rights", but I am not savvy in this venue.
Linda Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_132015
artist

Re: Dreamstime
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2008, 10:42am

No. I did enter my blond squirrel picture to a photo web site to win money and it didn't work out that way and they wanted me to buy the book with photos everyone sent in with my blond squirrel picture in that book. I wasn't about to pay for that. The book cost over 30 bucks to get it. Since I have my photo, why would I want a book of it in there with everyone else's photos? I'm a poor artist. I want to make money, not buy what I already have. That's like throwing my photo back at me with a price on top of it.

Email   IP Logged
Karen_132511
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2008, 11:18am

Hi, it's a scam, my daughter sent in a picture of my grandson and they said that she won a contest, as did every person that sent in a picture. I told her do not give the right to use her picture in the book that they wanted her to buy. If it was legit they would pay you for the use of your picture.  Angry

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2008, 11:31am

Thanks for the response, Ptricia and karen, I will proceed with caution and knowledge.
L

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2008, 12:19pm

I'm not sure about the outfit that Karen's daughter dealt with, but I've been at Dreamstime.com for a year and a half as a photographer/illustrator, and for sometime before that as a buyer ... they are one of the most reputable microstocks in the business.  They pay their contributors very well, and while they do sometimes have contests for approved contributors, the Dreamstime that I'm with will pay up front for the rights to any contest photos that are accepted.  They have pretty high standards for getting images and illustrations approved, so it might have been some other company with a similar name if they accepted everyone that submitted.  

Linda, I can't remember what their approval process is now, but at the time I joined I think you had to submit 3 photos or illustrations for approval to get in.  Give it a try ... again, both I and my clients have had nothing but excellent and professional dealings with them.  Good luck.

Teri

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_132015
artist

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2008, 1:34pm

I don't think it's a scam. Well. Maybe it is if all they want to do is sell you a book of pictures you don't want. You do get the book with lots of photos and yours too in it. It's just, I entered the contest and not to have to buy a book with my photogragh image in it as I don't need to buy a book of photos.

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2008, 3:07pm

Hey thanks to all responders....I think I'll have a go at it...'ll let you know how I do
L

Email   IP Logged
Karen_131257
artist

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2008, 4:30pm

Hi
I sell stock photo`s at 5 different sites, Dreamstime is one of them. I have not had any negative experience and sales do pretty well. I have never known Dreamstime to be a contest scam, I have had that with "picture.com" but not Dreamstime.  
As for using my own images, if I`m not free to use them myself elsewhere then I don`t sign up in the first place Wink
((hugs))
Karen

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2008, 6:33pm

Thanks all, for the advice.  God bless GCU and the support it avails at the ask of a question.  I am so grateful for this site, forum and group of folks.
L

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2008, 11:21pm

SmileyHi everyone... I sent in a photo to Pictures.com...They said I won there contest and want to sell me the book its being posted in. Talk about a scam... Theyare still writing me a Year later, going as far to say they missed having me at the convention where I was suppose to be a Guest speaker for Honorary winner! But they insist if I want the palque that goes with winning, I must buy the book and it cost like $300.00 to buy tickets for the affair and to bring a friend..HAHAHA...and its really a Stupid picture of a Gooseberry...LOL..., Stay away from Pictures.com...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Karen_132511
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2008, 11:41pm

I had never heard of Dreamstime, so I can't say anything bad about them. The one that tried to pull the scam on my daughter is great american photo contest. Here is what they still send in e-mails

Thank you for registering as a voter at the Great American Photo
 Contest.  If you or anyone you know has a child under 5 years old, that
 child's photo can be entered into our monthly photo contest and could win
 the $2,500 GUARANTEED CASH prize.   Simply:

1)      click here:
 http://www.greatamericanphotocontest-info.com/yddjqwqb_ztssspaabp.html
2)      register (this time as a contestant);
3)      upload the photo;
4)      vote and tell friends to vote.

The photo with the most votes each month wins the $2,500 GUARANTEED
 CASH prize.  It is so easy.   Don't delay, ENTER THE CONTEST NOW.
http://www.greatamericanphotocontest-info.com/avvtylye_ztssspaabp.html

Good Luck,

Your friends at the Great American Photo Contest, LLC

They told her she was the winner, but had to buy a $45. photos book to see her photo in the book. As phrank said they are still sending e-mails 1 1/2 years later. Guess they do get some people to purchase those books, to me that is a big scam.  

Email   IP Logged
Karen_131257
artist

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2008, 4:03am

Hi Karen
I had three photo`s chosen by picture.com... the first I was genuinely excited and thinking it was all a great honour, then I tried another photo and was equally excited when that "won" as well. Then I started getting letters asking me to buy the books, attend ceremonies etc which were impossible for me to attend... I started getting niggling doubts so sent them another photo which I knew was awful and should have been abandoned, not entered into any contests... it won!.... then I knew this thing was not all they make out and have ignored all their correspondense ever since!
Dreamstime and the other stock sites I am in are great, every little bit of extra income for me is wonderful being a single mother etc...  
((hugs))
the other Karen

Email   IP Logged
Gina_133039
artist

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2008, 10:38am

Hi everyone... I, too, had a bad experience with picture.com... I'm still getting correspondence from them and the photograph was from may '05!  I currently use a stock company called Photographer's Direct ( www.photographersdirect.com ) and have been very happy with them.  Hope everyone is having a good day... a good rainy day here in Virginia... that will be good for my peas, onions and lettuce and the tulips that are getting ready to bloom.

gina

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2008, 7:05pm

like teri and karen, i too am at dreamstime and have been almost 2 years.  you don't just decide to sell there you have to submit and be accepted.  however i did make me think because i just put my images that are there as exclusive, so i am wondering if i can still use them on my cards....hmmmmm gonna have to think about that.  there aren't too many but still.  there and fotolia i have exclusive portfolios ( different images at each) Huh

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.