Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Spellcheck your keywords (Read 1299 times)
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Spellcheck your keywords
Feb 27th, 2008, 6:04am

Today I looked at my keyword list and noticed a few typos.  To correct this, I did a cut-paste of this keyword list into Microsoft WORD, which underlines all the misspellings and, geez, I had a bunch!

So now the trick was to find all the cards that had these typos.  By going to MANAGE CARDS you can enter the misspelled word into the keyword search box and hit GO.  It may find several cards where this same misspelled keyword exists.  By repeating this process you can do a good Spring-cleaning.

At the end, I went back into the store and pulled up the new keyword list and repeated the cut-paste into WORD to double-check my work.  

While I was at the manage cards page, I did a scrolling scan to find cards that were in only one category, and took the opportunity to find a second category to represent them.  Feels good to sweep up before the store opens today. Smiley

Feel free to stop in to check out the new cards, and perhaps even send one to a freind or relative to lift their day.  I ordered a fellow GCU artist's card yesterday, and sent it to a special friend, and it really felt great!

Email   IP Logged
Donna_131383
artist

Re: Spellcheck your keywords
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2008, 7:01am

Hi Tom!

Great gallery you have going...and great advice  Smiley  Sometimes my fingers do the flying and I'm filled with typos and I go back in and fix them.  

One thing as a side note... sometimes it's good to leave a typical typo since sometimes, people searching believe that their keyword IS spelled a certain way, even though there might be another way to spell it.  

A similar example I ran across is the word "Tranquility/Tranquillity."  I've always spelled it with one "L"... but it's also spelled with 2.  I think the "variant" of TranquiLLity is TranquiLity... so I left them both in on one of my products since people searching either word would find that product.   Smiley

BTW, I love your old photos and you are just too funny!

Best,
Donna

Email   IP Logged
Wendy_132744
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2008, 7:07am

You're quite right Tom; it's quite easy to misspell a word or two.

The other problem is that because GCU sells to many different countries around the world; quite often spelling differ from country to country
I always enter the keyword HUMOUR with the second spelling of HUMOR for the US spelling.
Also terms and words are different:-
I have an Easter card with two chicks on a see saw made from an egg.
I also use the keyword TEETER-TOTTER as well as SEE-SAW so I cover my bases.
I try to do this as often as possible

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2008, 7:54am

And I realize this is REALLY dreaming....But I hope that somewhere down the road we can have a spell check for other languages.  I design many of my cards for my French family and friends.  Would be a great security blanket to be able to spell check my verse en Francois!
SueB

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2008, 7:58am

Wow ... great points.  The word that caught me was "marraige."  As we all know "marraige" spells "trouble."  (yuk yuk) so I did fix that, as well as others.

It must take the database 24 hours to fix the search as "marraige" still finds 3 of my cards even though the keywords have been fixed.  

By the way WENDY - it finds 3 of yours too!!  (Different Wendy though)

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2008, 4:57pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on Feb 27th, 2008, 7:58am:
Wow ... great points. The word that caught me was "marraige." As we all know "marraige" spells "trouble." (yuk yuk) so I did fix that, as well as others.

It must take the database 24 hours to fix the search as "marraige" still finds 3 of my cards even though the keywords have been fixed.

By the way WENDY - it finds 3 of yours too!! (Different Wendy though)

Yep, changes take up to 24 hours to be reflected in our onsite search.  We've got a keyword spell checker on our to do list.

Email   IP Logged
El_131850
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2008, 10:20pm

For all you fantastic artists out there, and to most of you that CAN spell... A LOT is 2 words...not 1.   (not alot).....

Sorry, I just had to add that... Huh

ahhh, I feel better now...don't shoot me, I'm just the spelling messenger....haha

- EL    Cool

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2008, 3:08pm

Keyword spell check has been added.  You'll notice in the lower right corner of the keyword box a small ABC graphic with a check mark.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.