Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Creative Works Misuse Policy (Read 16493 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Re: Creative Works Misuse Policy
Reply #30 - Feb 18th, 2016, 4:10pm

Quote from Mary_140624 on Feb 18th, 2016, 2:14pm:
I have been told this card infringed someone's creative copyright, though I took this photo my self, and the wording is original.

http://www.zazzle.com.au/happy_birthday_border_terrier_sniffing_around_greeting_ card-137309115159754389

I am finding it hard to comprehend. I think the nearest on I have found is

I would be grateful for any input.
Thanks Mary

Mary, this is your original submission (left) which we declined as we felt it was too heavily inspired by Natalie Kinnear's collection (right). †Making additional tweaks to the design does not change the review team's determination that it is based on another artist's work.

GCU advises:
As an artist it is your responsibility to design cards that offer shoppers a variety of choices and not similar cards that are already offered. This best serves shoppers and all artists. Additionally GCU does not tolerate the copying of another artist's submissions whether it be inspired by or intentional.  

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #31 - Feb 18th, 2016, 6:17pm

Thanks Mindy, I got a bit confused! I see what you mean. It was completely unintentional.
I did not realise that certain words etc could be considered copying such as ,  " will you bee mine," " Hoppy Birthday" , and the one I used "  I nose ..."

I feel very sad to be banned for this, as it has given me such joy over the last six years.

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2016, 5:35am by Mary_140624 »  
Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #32 - Feb 19th, 2016, 11:25am

Quote from Mary_140624 on Feb 18th, 2016, 6:17pm:
Thanks Mindy, I got a bit confused! I see what you mean. It was completely unintentional.
I did not realise that certain words etc could be considered copying such as , †" will you bee mine," " Hoppy Birthday" , and the one I used " †I nose ..."

I feel very sad to be banned for this, as it has given me such joy over the last six years.

Thanks for your reply and understanding.  To clarify, it's not just the phrase but a combination of factors - the phrase, subject matter in the image, occasion, inside verse, composition, etc.

I'm sorry, but coupled with the similar incident with the bigstock card it is too much to ignore.

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #33 - Feb 19th, 2016, 12:52pm

Would it have been OK if I had made it for a different occasion? Ie , " I nose it is your Anniversary"?
As I took the photograph, and it is another hairy dog,but from a completely different angle I cannot understand that these two cards are the same.only the wording.
Thanks , Mary
Re the other card,this was the notification received .It was a Big Stock card in response to a request to " cards wanted"

Sent from my  
Dear Mary,

Thank you for submitting your card for use on GreetingCardUniverse.com.

Artist ID: 140624
Product ID: 1421720

Based on our review process, your card has been Returned for Edits. Please resubmit your card after correcting the following issues:  

Please Note: Hi Mary - in your Notes To Reviewer, please specify the complete category you have designed the card for. Please also include the link if the category was a Wanted Cards posting on the forum, or a Category in Need of Cards request from the Community Blog.  
If this is a second submission of the same card, please remember to always include the previous version's PID#.  
Without the category, the reviewers cannot tell if this is supposed to be a Wedding Anniversary Announcement, or a Wedding Anniversary Congratulations, etc.  

Please note that you are not limited to 10 keywords as posted. There is a character limit of about 280, but no limit on the number of keywords. So, please use as many descriptive words as you can. Thanks.  

When you resubmit your card please be sure to append any important notes in the Notes to Reviewer field. Add your new comments to the end and do NOT remove any prior notes.  

Please click here to Edit this card and resubmit it.  

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #34 - Feb 19th, 2016, 5:16pm

Quote from Mary_140624 on Feb 19th, 2016, 12:52pm:
Would it have been OK if I had made it for a different occasion? Ie , " I nose it is your Anniversary"?
As I took the photograph, and it is another hairy dog,but from a completely different angle I cannot understand that these two cards are the same.only the wording.
Thanks , Mary
Re the other card,this was the notification received .It was a Big Stock card in response to a request to " cards wanted"

Sent from my
Dear Mary,

Based on our review process, your card has been Returned for Edits. Please resubmit your card after correcting the following issues:

Please Note: Hi Mary - in your Notes To Reviewer, please specify the complete category you have designed the card for. Please also include the link if the category was a Wanted Cards posting on the forum, or a Category in Need of Cards request from the Community Blog.
If this is a second submission of the same card, please remember to always include the previous version's PID#.
Without the category, the reviewers cannot tell if this is supposed to be a Wedding Anniversary Announcement, or a Wedding Anniversary Congratulations, etc.

Please note that you are not limited to 10 keywords as posted. There is a character limit of about 280, but no limit on the number of keywords. So, please use as many descriptive words as you can. Thanks.

When you resubmit your card please be sure to append any important notes in the Notes to Reviewer field. Add your new comments to the end and do NOT remove any prior notes.

Please click here to Edit this card and resubmit it.

No, it would not have been ok. †You cannot base a design on that of another artist and tweak it just enough to qualify as different. †Not only is it not ethical but it is not legal. †If GCU were to allow artists to do this there would be rampant copycat designs, undermining the creative works of the original artists and not offering shoppers a vast array of unique designs. †GCU has a firm policy of not allowing this.

Our stated policy is:
GCUniverse will not tolerate the copying of another artist's creative work - no copy cats, poachers, no "borrowing", no stealing. †If it's not your idea, artwork or unique verse - Don't use it!  

As for the BigStock card, the first reviewer was not aware of the original design of which your submission was curiously near identical. †Our reviewers are very visual and have amazing memories but they don't memorize every card on the site, thus we rely on a community based system to report abuse which occurs after a card has been approved.

The composition similarities here can no way be coincidental with your card (left), the other card (right) and the original stock image (below):

I do not feel that you have operated in good faith. †If there are considerations that I have unfairly overlooked that other artists would like to bring up here on the forum I am all ears.

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #35 - Feb 19th, 2016, 5:33pm

Thanks Mindy, my fault for not checking first...there was certainly no intent to "copy",Why would I with a "Big Stock " picture? Yes I agree the reviewers do have an eagle eye, which is wonderful.
Why would I want to use an identical card to yours?
When I got the please edit I just assumed it was OK.probably being a bit lazy, and I was not feeling the best!( as I have explained to you).
I am sorry but it WAS coincidental, re everything including the stripes at the top.  
When looking at this card in its original form, it is feasible that one would add another stripe to add interest....and fill the gap at the top, as we did!  
I assume you won't believe this, but it is true.
I also did NOT check out your card, or I would have changed it radically, or not used it at all....it would have been very much in my interests to do this, wouldn't it? If you check out my store originality is my forte.
Just to clarify, does it mean the phrase "I nose ..." should never be used by anyone else?
I just feel you have been a very harsh with me.
This is not a subject that I would expose to public scrutiny, as it is an awful thing not to be believed, and have people think you are cheating in some way, but I think it should be aired, as it will clarify things a bit, and I feel I must defend myself and my integrity. It is not an easy job you have Mindy, I appreciate that.
I know rules are rules, but there are some grey areas in this issue which I feel are very unfortunate, and I am paying a too heavy price for it.

Sadly I doubt anyone will plough through all this to give an opinion!!

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:13am by Mary_140624 »  
Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #36 - Feb 20th, 2016, 7:03am

May I just say that I personally am not concerned about the dog nose card. If Mary was inspired by my card I'm flattered Smiley  And, to me, Mary's card does seem to differ from mine in quite a few aspects. My card is all about the nose, where as Mary's card actually focuses on the eyes, with the dog's nose resting rather cutely on the word birthday, which is quite different to my design. I just wanted to say, in support of Mary, that I personally don't have a problem with it Smiley  

Mary, I had radiotherapy (we call it that in the UK) over ten years ago now, it was for breast cancer, everything turned out fine. I know what a difficult and tiring time it can be, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #37 - Feb 20th, 2016, 8:38am

Thank you so much Natalie for your kind supportive words. I am sorry about all this, and your generosity is a great comfort to me. I dare say GCU is doing their job looking after their artists, and it is a difficult job I would imagine. Yes my radiotherapy is for breast cancer too, and it is draining. At my advanced years, my prognosis is good, so I am not that worried about that aspect! Cheers Mary.

Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #38 - Feb 20th, 2016, 8:56am

You're very welcome Mary Smiley And, yes, I agree, GCU have a very difficult job, I don't envy them. Take care of yourself and keep designing, your cards are lovely Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
Gold Member
artist

Reply #39 - Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39am

Mindy, I have often wondered about artist using the same photos and images from BigStock in their designs and stopped making BigStock cards some time ago because of my concerns about originality.  Itís so much fun to cruse through all the great images there and find one that fits an idea I have about a card and many of the images inspire ideas for cards too.

For example, I was looking for a BigStock image for an auto mechanics card and came across this image that I thought was beautiful that was totally unrelated that inspired me to make this card about quitting smoking: http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/encouragement-cards/quit-smoking/quit-smokin g-celebrate-each-smoke-1245024  I remember wondering at the time if someone else who is a smoker trying to quit and a nature nut like me would use the same image for the same subject.  Or, had someone else used this neat image for a different occasion and did it matter?

Perhaps you should consider removing images from BigStock once they are used for a card. That way whether someone used the same image for a card, whether it was intentional or coincidental (as Mary expressed), would not come up.  That way you would not have to make these difficult decisions.  Itís too easy for cards with the same BigStock image designed with the GCU tool to have the same or similar composition.

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #40 - Feb 20th, 2016, 1:25pm

Excellent idea Kathleen. It would certainly save a lot of heartache and confusion.
 In the "Nuts and Bolts" re Big Stock  
If the image has been used, ensure your design is significantly different and ideally, for another occasion. See this example of three cards using the same image, each a little different than the others, and each for a different occasion.
As in examples

Product ID 1191630 and 1192008

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #41 - Feb 22nd, 2016, 11:00am

Thank you Natalie, once again for your kindness...yes I would love to be creating and submitting more cards, but I have been banned from doing this, hence my angst and sadness.I have had many PMs of support which is a comfort.

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #42 - Feb 22nd, 2016, 2:20pm

Quote from Mary_140624 on Feb 20th, 2016, 1:25pm:
Excellent idea Kathleen. It would certainly save a lot of heartache and confusion.
In the "Nuts and Bolts" re Big Stock
If the image has been used, ensure your design is significantly different and ideally, for another occasion. See this example of three cards using the same image, each a little different than the others, and each for a different occasion.
As in examples

Product ID 1191630 and 1192008

On looking on the "Nuts and Bolts" re Big Stock, apart from me inadvertently doing the stripes at the top, My card was for a completely different category and occasion ( Invitation to an April Fool's day Anniversary Party) to Mindy's. But I still would not have used it if I had known it was used already.  

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/occasions/congratulations/cancersurvivortrea tment/portremovedmediportremoval/good-time-tropical-celebration-dogs-1421222

GreetingCardUniverse.com
Dear Mary,

click to view this card  

Based on our review process your card has been: Approved.

Keywords:
Anniversary, April Fool's Day, Jack Russel terriers, sweet, funny, cocktails, flowers, humor. dogs. Invitation, Sun glasses, shades, red rims, hibiscus, ocean, garland. wedding anniversary party.  

Categories:
Collections Ľ Off the Cuff Greetings
Invitations Ľ Wedding Anniversary Ľ Other

Please Note: Hi Mary - we don't see a call for this category, but we have requested a specific subcategory for this card and will move it if / when it is established. Thanks.  

Share this card on Facebook:    

If you have any questions please contact us at cardreview@greetingcarduniverse.com.

Any Card Imaginable,
GreetingCardUniverse.com
GCU Card Review Team  
Reviewer #619  

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2016, 6:59pm by Mary_140624 »  
Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #43 - Feb 23rd, 2016, 5:50am

Mary I am extremely sorry to hear that you are not allowed to add further cards to your store here at GCU, I do hope that they will reconsider.  

In the meantime, have you considered submitting your card designs to other Print on Demand companies, such as Zazzle etc? That way you can continue your designing. It would be such a shame if you stopped creating your designs.

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #44 - Feb 23rd, 2016, 12:13pm

Thanks Natalie, yes I have a Zazzle store, but haven't put much up for a while.My sales at GCU have at last picked up after six years of contribution, so that is bitter sweet.Thanks for your kind interest.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.