Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Top Ten  Artists in real time (Read 2612 times)
Yassine_132473
artist

Top Ten  Artists in real time
Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:05am

Hello ! Smiley

I wonder if we might one day see a "Top Ten" of the artists who sell more cards or a great list of our position in this category ? A classification that would operate in real time and that only members of GCU artists could see. May be the artists of GCU would like to know their position. May be it will boost creations Cheesy

Thank you,

Ya

Greeting cards made by ya-graphic:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/yagraphic
Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Re: Top Ten  Artists in real time
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:13am

Hmm...

I think that's not such a bad idea! I wouldn't mind seeing how I rank at GCU. It might definitely give some of the artists (including myself) a boost in the right direction. A little competition is always good!

But it's totally up to the GCU staff. Either way, I'm already contented with just being part of the GCU family!

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:44am

Interesting idea, Ya, somehow it would have to be figured based on amount of time selling at GCU.  Quite possibly someone who has been selling on site for a year would have the most amount of sales, hopefully they would.  

I think any info regarding sales of any type is extremely helpful.  I know it is helpful to me.

I'd love to see a generic posting of total GCU sales daily.  I am not interested in which artist made the sales, just a posting of sales for the day across the board.

Great suggestion, Ya

Linda

Email   IP Logged
David_133145
artist

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 3:55pm

If the top ten artists were to be determined by the highest number of sales per day, or by the most submissions per day, it would simply not reflect the "best artist."
An artist who spends many of the day's hours creating something of quality cannot compete for sales, promotion, or being prolific with people who post numerous repeat images of lesser quality.  I, for one, cannot find the time to even keep up with the issues in this forum, no less do the necessary promotion.  
Although it might be nice to see how an artist is standing in the field, I think it would be better to have a random highlight of a group of artists on a daily basis, showing their new images.  It might be good for the GCU staff to pick out daily favorites also.  We could also have a category showing the daily, or weekly favorites as voted on by other GCU artists.
Doing this exposes all members of GCU to new ideas and approaches.
This is an artist community, I hope at least.  We should not be in competition, but working together.  In this way we can all elevate the quality of our art.
Also, whatever artists are highlighted should be madea available to the public.  Noty only would it help those particular artit, it would help generate a respect for GCU as a quality artist community.  A place where they can get cards that have "above the norm" images and messages.
But, this is just my personal opinion.

Email   IP Logged
Pattiann_132699
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 5:09pm

I have to agree with David. I have no interest in an artist ranking, but as Linda suggested, I would like to see daily (or weekly) sales by category. I appreciate that we have keyword info available, but that doesn't tell me what's selling.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2008, 1:48pm

We have considered privately showing each artist their own ranking.  Most likely based strictly on total cards sold.  I'd like to hear opinions from more artists on this topic.  Thumbs up, thumbs down and why.   Roll Eyes

Along the same lines of David's suggestions, we do have sorts and views in place to represent "top cards" or "best cards" for shoppers without being so overt on who the top selling artists are.  We will continue to find additional ways to do so.

The Popular Cards page shows Most Favorited, GCU Picks (our seasonal staff picks), Most Popular, Most Visited, Best/Bulk Sellers):
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/community/popular.asp?sort=popular

There is a New Cards page however with so many cards added daily it changes by the hour!  So your time featured on that page is short lived:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/community/latest.asp

On our wish list is a Favorite Artist feature similar to the Favorite Card feature.  This will allow us to do some great things for individual artists like notify your fan club when you add new cards.   Cool

We did have a Rate this Card feature that unfortunately become too self serving and produced biased results.  That has gone away.

As many of you prefer to keep your income private, so do we.  Our total sales numbers are not public at this time and we're not ready to share them with the world.  We have however posted that we will be improving the Top Selling Categories report, which will show you which categories the most sales are coming from.

As for the Top Keywords report, you really can't get any better than this.  This report is a peek into what shoppers are looking for, right now.  It's actually better than knowing what has sold.  It's a crystal ball telling you what people want to buy.

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2008, 2:25pm

I like statistics, personally.  I don't care who sold the card, or what the card looks like.  I would like to see how I rank as far as # of cards sold.  I find this encouraging.  
I realize that someone who has been creating cards at the site for a longer period of time might have more sales, from what I have seen there is a tremendous amount of talent here!  I also know that it is difficult to gage what a customer might buy.

At some point, I still hold that I would like to see # of cards sold, especially by category, across GCU.  I agree that the new stats for keyword search is an incredibly valuable tool and I am very thankful for it.

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2008, 2:43pm

I personally am a very private person when it comes to income and would not want any of this information public.  I think the best seller and bulk seller information already being provided should be enough information.  In addition, the keyword search information is really helpful.

Having said that, I do think Mindy's suggestion of privately showing an artist their ranking would be nice.  I think this could be done on a monthly basis based on sales made for the month.  In this way, artists that have just gotten here and those who have been here for a long time, would all be treated the same, as it would strictly be based on the most recent month of activity.

I can understand why some people would be interested in all these statistics, but I also think that maybe the best statistics are those within our own stores.  Find out what your customers like and that will help you more than anything.  I think.

Thanks for listening.

Email   IP Logged
Yassine_132473
artist

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2008, 3:26pm

Hi everyone !

I think the keyword search, the Popular cards and the GCU picks are very nice. We all know who are the best sellers in GCU, but the question is how we could make the best of our work. We are near 900 artists in GCU, it would be a good idea to see how our gallery rank about the GCU cards solds. It's like a page rank in Internet, the statistics in real time would show us what is our position in GCU. Maybe I am wrong, may be it's actually better now...  embarrassed

About the best categories (with the greatest sales) :
There is a problem for all artists if we know which categories the most sales are coming from ... if all 900 artists create in the same category it will be more difficult for us. We will enter into a wild competition. I think some of us would really not like this situation.  undecided

Voilà, thank you for your replies ! Cheesy

Greeting cards made by ya-graphic:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/yagraphic
Email   IP Logged
Edition_132952
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2008, 11:14pm

I have some of my work on IMAGEKIND.com, a company that produces prints on demand. They show bestselling artists on the front page without revealing numbers. It is interesting,but for me finally without relevance,because I will never produce the art work those bestsellers do. So the conclusion for me is that I`ll never be a bestseller there.  

I am very new in greeting cards,but I can feel the temptation to produce for the market and to benchmark your work according to what sells or better what HAS sold !! I believe in greeting cards it is much better to follow your own unique creativity and develop constantly new ideas as what has sold might not sell in the next month. There is a need to develop all the time.

A TOP TEN list also would channel/concentrate some of the traffic to those artists or, if the visitor does not like the impression he gets from the TOP TEN, keep traffic away from the rest of artists.  
To publish sales figures of single artists seems not a good thing, because copying designs is a widely spread practise. I can imagine that quite a number of card producers would love us doing trend scouting for free.

Edition Handdruck - Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/editionH
Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2008, 2:18am

How many cards are sold at GCU daily/weekly/monthly &tc, or in what categories cards are selling in, isn't relevant. It really isn't. Every card shopper is unique. Just because an artist sells 100 cards wtih a picture of a cross-eyed spaniel doesn't mean that everybody who jumps on tht bandwagon and makes a cross-eyed spaniel card is going to sell.

It's better to concentrate on finding a niche you can fill, making your designs (and text) unique and appealing. An artist ought to have their own style, instantly identifiable. Develop your own ideas. And if you really want to know what the public wants to buy, check the greeting card racks when you go out shopping. That's a sure indicator of trends right there, considering the traditional greeting card printers do a lot of market research. The more varied the selection of cards on GCU, the more chance everyone has to sell because more potential customers will be attracted to the site.

Statistics are useful but only to a point. One of the most useful stats on GCU seems to be the keyword search, however I'm pretty sure the stat doesn't differentate between customers looking for a specific card, and artists doing a site search so they can check out the competition, or find out why that particular serach is so darned popular! Smiley

Mindy, we think letting each artist know their ranking privately isn't a bad idea. There are some artists who seem to need the challenge. We'd also welcome a Favorite Artist feature for customers to use.

Corrie
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_131549
artist

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2008, 3:14am

Hi,

I like the idea of GCU letting each artist know how well they are doing and where they rank, so I vote this idea. Smiley
I also like the idea of 'featured artist' and GCU sending out 'emails' to customers of that artist telling them of new stuff, etc. I think customers do gravitate towards artist work/style that they like so this feature would be great to generate more sales/interest for that artist with their existing customers...and the best thing is I don't have to do anything more, its all down to GCU hard work!   Wink
As for any more stats, I'm not really bothered. If the site gets too complicated with stats for this and stats for that I really won't bother looking, I do this for fun not as a business so its wasted on me I'm afraid.

Email   IP Logged
Picture_131439
artist

Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2008, 11:39am

I wouldn't mind knowing PRIVATELY where I rank (although it's not imparitive, it's more curiousity), but putting those numbers out publically could potentially be a very bad thing for those lucky top ten.  That would lead to copycats, imo.  I'm not saying anyone here nessesarily would do that, but it's a well known problem on other PODs that whenever someone posts a top seller, multiple copies of it appear shortly thereafter.  It's nice to assume everyone is out to help and would *never* do such a thing, but it's the reality of a money making business that someone is in it strictly for the money and isn't particularly creative.  It's easier to copy cat others ideas that you know sell well than to create your own for some.  It could already be happening here, with the ease of finding top selling designs, but I don't have time to peruse the "marketplace" and see!

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2008, 7:44pm

Lots of interesting comments here.  Ones own stats are helpful to a point, but the obsession with comparing art, sales and popularity with other GCU artists??   I don't get it.   Huh  For many of us, this is not the only venue where we market our art (cards, prints, whatever).  Yes, we are in competition with other GCU members, but we are also in competition with everyone from Cafe Press to Zazzle, Hallmark to Walmart!  In the time I've been here, I have noticed flocks of cards being posted right after a similar card has been shown as selling well.  

I believe that the stores that have the best sales do so because they have many good cards that are profiled well, the owners market in a variety of ways AND the artists spend the lions share of their time CREATING and paying attention to the market as a WHOLE, rather than just what's going on at GCU.  (Not to say that what's going on here isn't great.  The community of the artists is great, but I don't think sharing EVERY detailed stat is helpful or even relevant.)

Ernestine

*I do like the "Favorited" feature though, as there I go & see the cards of artists' work I like and put an image to a name.  

Email   IP Logged
Hilly_132655
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2008, 11:38pm

Quote from Edition_132952 on Feb 4th, 2008, 11:14pm:

I am very new in greeting cards,but I can feel the temptation to produce for the market and to benchmark your work according to what sells or better what HAS sold !! I believe in greeting cards it is much better to follow your own unique creativity and develop constantly new ideas as what has sold might not sell in the next month. There is a need to develop all the time.

A TOP TEN list also would channel/concentrate some of the traffic to those artists or, if the visitor does not like the impression he gets from the TOP TEN, keep traffic away from the rest of artists.
To publish sales figures of single artists seems not a good thing, because copying designs is a widely spread practise. I can imagine that quite a number of card producers would love us doing trend scouting for free.

I´m with you all the way - my time doesn´t allow me to spend more than 2-3 hrs a day on all of my online ventures (and I have many ...  Grin) The cards are only a small part of what I do to sell my art.  
I might alter an existing "design" (I hate calling my creations that  Cheesy) to fit an occasion, but I won´t put myself out to fit my art to a customers taste. I know I won´t make millions that way, and I´ll never get to be a top seller - but what the heck! I´m having fun, earn a few cents - so does GCU - and everyone´s happy.
On topic: As I don´t think I´ll ever make the top ten the statistics aren´t really important to me ...

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.