Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Do the programmers test shops appearance using (Read 757 times)
Shari_132735
artist

Do the programmers test shops appearance using
Jan 4th, 2008, 9:00am

different browsers?  I ask because I have been using IE 7.0 and Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11 and I have noticed some big differences on the shop appearances.  First being everything looks great with IE 7.0 but not with Firefox.  In Firefox, text falls over the outside edges of boxes the text is contained.  The Header text of Featured Products shows up tiny and yellow and difficult to read.  That's just a couple things I noticed.  

I thought I would mention this in case anyone at GCU is interested in having this information.  Not everyone uses IE because it is soooooo crashing intensive.  But it seems website creators only create their sites for how great they look IE and don't even realize that others using different browsers are seeing something completely different.  Which could pose as detrimental to the sales of the site/shop.

I'd be interested in knowing what browsers are used by the programmers when they test any changes made to GCU shops.

I hope I have helped!

Shari
www.flowerswithfeelingscentral.com
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/flowerswithfeelingscentral

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_131479
artist

Re: Do the programmers test shops appearance using
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2008, 9:13am

I only use firefox now, since my IE became corrupted, and Microsoft Brilliantly removed the repair feature...

I was able to use my firefox which I had luckily installed to install a NEWER version of IE, rather than my old mostly stable one... but I hate it... it's like firefox, only a bad version of it.. and as the previous poster said, crashes a lot... so I don't use it except when I need to be logged into the same site under 2 different ID's.

So.. I'll second her. Smiley

My husband only uses firefox, and has only used it for a long long time as well. (different PC from mine)

I actually had noticed the issues she mentioned.. but had figured it was just a temporary glitch. (I haven't been active here much.. only just recently added a second card and more after adding my first a year ago)

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2008, 11:15am

Hello,

First off, I also prefer Firefox  Wink

There are a few cosmetic issues with the way that many of the storefront modules render in Firefox.  We are aware of this, and it is something thats on our list of future site enhancements.    

We do test on all popular browsers (Internet Explorer 6.0 and 7.0, Firefox, Safari, Navigator).  Also just in case anyone is wondering, about 80% of GCU's traffic comes from people using Internet Explorer.

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2008, 4:03pm

Huh
I checked my GCU site on a friend's computer in Explorer the other day and I was shocked!   Shocked The background was black so the type didn't show up, only the first line of cards could be seen. . . no way to navigate the site either. . .it was a real mess.  Everything still appears fine on my computer in FireFox, but I'm wondering how my site looks to others using Explorer.  

If 80% of the traffic uses Explorer and sites look like THIS in Explorer, sort of pointless to put up more cards if only 20% of the traffic can even see them.  

PLEASE check this out! (Shaun??)  

-Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2008, 5:18pm

Quote from Ernestine_131365 on Jan 7th, 2008, 4:03pm:
Huh
I checked my GCU site on a friend's computer in Explorer the other day and I was shocked! Shocked The background was black so the type didn't show up, only the first line of cards could be seen. . . no way to navigate the site either. . .it was a real mess. Everything still appears fine on my computer in FireFox, but I'm wondering how my site looks to others using Explorer.

If 80% of the traffic uses Explorer and sites look like THIS in Explorer, sort of pointless to put up more cards if only 20% of the traffic can even see them.

PLEASE check this out! (Shaun??)

-Ernestine

Hi Ernestine,
Your page looks great in both Internet Explorer 6 and 7.  

If you were using Internet Explorer on a Mac, that would explain the problem, as our site is not compatible with Internet Explorer 5.2.  

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.