Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

BEWARE of Art Buyer Scam Emails (Read 1060 times)
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

BEWARE of Art Buyer Scam Emails
Feb 8th, 2022, 6:33pm

Hello all,
I'm always leery and investigate unknown email contact, even submission forms from my site, BEFORE I ever contact a stranger inquiring about my work. I received a new one today which is circulating and is INDEED A SCAM.

If you receive an email such as this:
My name is Jeff Robert from Washington,DC. I have been on the lookout for some artworks lately in regards to I and my wife's anniversary which is just around the corner. I stormed on some of your works which i found quite impressive and intriguing. I must admit your doing quite an impressive job. You are undoubtedly good at what you do.

With that being said, I would like to purchase some of your works as a surprise gift to my wife in honor of our upcoming wedding anniversary. It would be of help if you could send some pictures of your piece of works, with their respective prices and sizes, which are ready for immediate (or close to immediate) sales. My budget for this is within the price range of $1000 to $9000.

I look forward to reading from you in a view to knowing more about your pieces of inventory. As a matter of importance, I would also like to know if you accept check as a means of payment.

Best regards,

Jeff.

MARK IT AS SPAM and DO NOT REPLY!

5 Ways to Recognize an Email Scam Aimed at Artists:

1. He never mentions my name or anything specific about my work; it’s an easy copy/paste for him to send this to mass recipients.
2. A lowercase “i”? Come on. Also, he “stormed” on my works? Note the odd use of language throughout.
3. Glaring misuse of “your” versus “you’re”
4. Excessive flattery
5. Why would I need to send him pictures/examples if he’s already so enthralled with my work?

I’ve seen where scammers will actually bring up the concept of exchanging funds in their initial contact. Sometimes scammers will want to send you a check in advance, and sometimes they have the nerve to ask you for money in some odd, roundabout scheme. We have to stay vigilant and continue to alert each other to scams like this, as they’ll only continue to try to become more believable.

Email   IP Logged
Pamela_135500
Gold Member
artist

Re: BEWARE of Art Buyer Scam Emails
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2022, 7:14pm

Thank you for sharing this, Doreen.

It seems at every turn and through every device there is someone trying a scam nowadays.  

Pamela Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Cathie_131660
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2022, 1:57pm

Thank you for sharing this Doreen.  The word "stormed" was the first thing that caught my eye as being off.  Wink

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_145102
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2022, 1:23pm

Thank you, Doreen, for bringing this to us. Scammers will try anything! Crazy!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.