Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Threshold Change? (Read 2320 times)
Mary_Melinda_412298

Threshold Change?
Mar 9th, 2021, 3:47pm

I wonder if someone official might address today's abrupt change in the earnings threshold? I was within a few dollars of making it for the first time and am quite disappointed to find the new amount out of reach with only weeks left in the quarter. Some kind of announcement beforehand would have been appreciated.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: Threshold Change?
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2021, 4:46pm

It was announced last year.

Email   IP Logged
Mary_Melinda_412298

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2021, 4:55pm

Ah, now I found it. Wish I would have seen that before so it wouldn't have been such an unpleasant surprise today.
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1607734655

Email   IP Logged
Colleen_388896
GCU Newbies

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2021, 11:22am

oops can't delete--I posted under wrong account.

Email   IP Logged
Colleen_254294
GCU Newbies

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2021, 11:27am

undecided I'm with you! I finally hit my quota the other week, and today I am rudely surprised to find that my bonus has been stripped away.  

Considering how easily GCU is able to email us every week about sales, I think a bigger effort could have been made at notifying artists about this important change. Furthermore, I don't understand why GCU could not wait til the end of a quarter to implement the hike. To see my commission simply vanish feels like a slap in the face.  

Man, pandemic slowed my graphics business to a crawl last year. This trickle of income from GCU may be small, but it was a little bright spot that I had appreciated in the face of a financial slump. This really bites.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2021, 12:05am

The thresholds were established in 2013 and have not been changed for 7 years.

It was announced back in October 2020 here on the blog:
https://gcucommunity.com/2020/10/16/nuts-and-bolts-new-earnings-thresholds-effec
tive-1-1-21/

And reminders here on the forum in December and January:  

Threshold reminder:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1607734655

4QPayday:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1610666088

This week the site was updated to reflect the new threshold amounts on the artists' admin pages.

Email   IP Logged
Mary_Melinda_412298

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2021, 6:28am

Apparently I need to pay closer attention to the forum on this site so I don't miss these announcements.

I am not sure what 7 years has to do with the effective percentage of royalty that artists/designers are paid per sale unless there were also to be a corresponding rise in card prices which I haven't noticed taking place, however, I am sure it was a business decision on the part of the company so I am not in a position to complain. And I will also have to make a decision for my own business whether or not I should vigorously pursue the new threshold or invest that effort elsewhere. It may seem that my work here has been slow since it has taken me over 3 years to come close to the old threshold. I do put quite a bit of effort into my artwork and into writing unique descriptions for each card, plus promoting my cards on social media. I am not sure that I can afford to do that for a couple more years in order to reach the new thresholds. And that makes me a little sad because I really do very much like this company and its product.

Email   IP Logged
Colleen_388896
GCU Newbies

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2021, 4:01pm

I won't argue with GCU's business decision to raise the thresholds, but--I say this respectfully--the implementation of the quota hike really could have been handled better.

1) I  think this kind of information warranted at least ONE email notification because, as we see, not everyone visits the forum or blog. As a bonus it would've been nice if GCU could figure how to do a pop-up notice when users log on, the way other apps and websites do when the company needs to tell users about important changes.

2) I noticed that in the last forum post notifying us of the increase, someone brought to GCU's attention in January that the store management interface was still reflecting old information. That should have been rectified immediately, vs waiting until the moment when many artists are hitting the old threshold and earning their bonuses. It would have been nice if GCU could honor the quota number that was published for the better part of the quarter.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2021, 11:53pm

We hear your concerns and frustrations.

The forum and blog have always been our primary means of communicating with artist.  Please be sure to stay up to date on notices posted especially on the forum board: GCU News & Announcements

If you are not already subscribed to the blog, please do so here:
https://gcucommunity.com/

Although we feel ample time and reminders were given, the suggestion to give a 1Q grace period is a reasonable and appreciated suggestion.  We will take it under consideration and will reply by end of day Friday.  

Thank you for your contributions and understanding.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2021, 6:41pm

Yes!  The answer is Yes!  GCU will postpone the threshold changes to begin on 4/1 for 2Q earnings offering 1Q as a grace period.

We will post this announcement on the related blog and forum threads.  

It may take us a bit to get the numbers changed back on the site in your Admin pages, so please bear with  us.

Thank you!

Email   IP Logged
Colleen_254294
GCU Newbies

Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2021, 7:40pm

Thank you for the good news, Mindy. And thank you for hearing—I know GCU did not have to make that grace period, so it is much appreciated. (Also, I've added "Check and GCU blog/forum" to my monthly reminders.)

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2021, 9:45pm

Quote from Colleen_254294 on Mar 12th, 2021, 7:40pm:
Thank you for the good news, Mindy. And thank you for hearing—I know GCU did not have to make that grace period, so it is much appreciated. (Also, I've added "Check and GCU blog/forum" to my monthly reminders.)

Our pleasure, Colleen.  Thanks for working with us and for your diplomatic suggestion!

Enjoy the weekend!

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_131794
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2021, 9:52am

Quote from Mindy on Mar 12th, 2021, 6:41pm:

Yes!  The answer is Yes!  GCU will postpone the threshold changes to begin on 4/1 for 2Q earnings offering 1Q as a grace period.

We will post this announcement on the related blog and forum threads.

It may take us a bit to get the numbers changed back on the site in your Admin pages, so please bear with  us.

Thank you!

Thank you for this Great News, Mindy.   Smiley I am so very happy to read this!  I have made the old Q thresholds last quarters and it was great in these difficult time.  Hoping I reach it before the month is over for this 1Q grace period.   This is a wonderful gesture by GCU!  Thanks again.  

Email   IP Logged
Mary_Melinda_412298

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2021, 12:01pm

Thank you very much Mindy, for the grace period. It will be nice to at least make the threshold this quarter even if it takes me a while to get up there in subsequent quarters. I recognize that this wasn't something the company had to do and it is a very nice gesture.

I, too, have now subscribed to the blog so hopefully I'll stay better informed in future.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2021, 2:58pm

Happy to do so.  Thank you for your understanding!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.