Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Suggestions for Handling Images (Read 2022 times)
Joyce_133459
artist

Suggestions for Handling Images
Jun 8th, 2020, 8:37am

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place and/or if this has been addressed before, but here is what I'm having some trouble with.

I'm trying to clean up the images that I have stored here.  It's an immensely tedious process because I can't choose the page no. I want to go to.  I either have to go the last page, and keep clicking my way backwards, or the other way around.  When I do delete an image, I have to wait for the page to refresh ... and when it does, it always takes me back to page one and not the page I was just on.  Then I have to again go to the last page, and slowly click my way to previous pages until I come back to the one I was working on.

Is there any way we can simply jump to whatever page number we need?

Also, could we have a search bar so that we can search wihtin our images?  It takes forever to find one as it is now.  I have well over a thousand images, and I'm sure others have far more.

Maybe I'm missing something ...?

Thanks for listening!  Smiley

~Joyce

Email   IP Logged
Mary_Melinda_412298

Re: Suggestions for Handling Images
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2020, 8:44am

I'm curious about this as well. So far, I have only deleted images on the site that I decided not to use but I now have several pages of images here and I've been wondering if most people keep all of their images on site or do they delete them and just upload again if it's needed for a new card or for a custom card. I have them all backed up on my computer. It is pretty difficult to find a specific image here without a search function.

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2020, 8:49am

I don't keep any images stored here. I store them on my computer and always re-upload them, even when I do a series. It might be a tedious process, but I feel more organized and I know exactly where everything is. I have just always done that, so I am in that habit.  

That is a good question for those who work from their online stored images.

Email   IP Logged
Teri_179461
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2020, 8:56am

Hi Joyce,

If I understand what you are asking - in your Manage Cards there are two ways to search.  One is to enter a keyword you may have on specific cards - on the top of the left side of the page, where it says "Enter a keyword".  It will pull up all of your cards in which you've used that particular keyword.  

The one I use most often, however, and one it took me awhile to find, is to use the category search, on the left side.  The main categories of: Holidays, Occasions, etc are listed there (in blue I think).  If you have a general idea of the categories your cards are in - you can pull up "New Year's Cards" - for instance by selecting "Holidays" then pulling down to the holiday of "New Years".  Manage cards will pull up only your New Years cards.  If you are looking for specific subcategories - like all your Grandson New Year cards - go down to "For Family Relation Specific" and pull the tab down to "Grandson" - Manage Cards will only pull up your Grandson New Year Cards.  This makes it a lot easier to find, edit and view your cards.

I use this method and find it very helpful.  Hope that helps.

Teri
Che Bella Nota

Email   IP Logged
Joyce_133459
artist

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2020, 9:02am

Thanks for all your replies!

Teri, just to clarify: I'm not referring to the cards I have created, but to the images I uploaded in order to create my cards.

So, I may have an image that I wish to use again for another card ... perhaps one that shows some flowers and says "Thinking of you".  I could use that image again in a different sub-category.  But to find the image, I'd have to sort through my entire cache of stored uploads ...

Email   IP Logged
Joyce_133459
artist

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2020, 9:05am

Also, when deleting my uploads, I'd like to be able to click as many as needed on one page and then delete them in one fell swoop instead of one by one ... waiting in each case for the page to reload.  (and when it does reload, it goes back to page 1, and not the page I was just on).  

Email   IP Logged
Teri_179461
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2020, 9:08am

I, like Sandra use new art from my computer for each of my new cards and go through occasionally and delete previously uploaded art in my upload file.  I save all my art on my computer to DropBox - it helps my organize it into categories I can find again when I want to access all or parts of my previous art for new cards or revised versions later.

Teri

Email   IP Logged
Joyce_133459
artist

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2020, 9:11am

Okay, thanks again for all replies!

I will probably start doing that as well ... just uploading images as I need them.

Just thought maybe I was missing something!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2020, 9:15am

I delete as I go, generally speaking. I often have a page or two of images which I may use a 2nd time, but haven't gotten around too.

There is zero need to keep images stored in the Image Upload area and you can delete one page at a time, then start fresh. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Joyce_133459
artist

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2020, 9:17am

Thanks, everyone!
This has given me a new outlook on how I create my cards! It does make sense to not have a huge build-up of images here on the site!  Just as quick to upload new every time.
Glad I asked!

Email   IP Logged
Mary_Melinda_412298

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2020, 9:23am

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Jun 8th, 2020, 9:15am:
I delete as I go, generally speaking. I often have a page or two of images which I may use a 2nd time, but haven't gotten around too.

There is zero need to keep images stored in the Image Upload area and you can delete one page at a time, then start fresh. Smiley

That's probably best. I guess I'd better start deleting since I've accumulated so many. I can see where it might make a backup for those who aren't in the habit of backing up their work in a second location though.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2020, 9:52am

Well, no one should EVER use a POD site as their ONLY backup of work! Regardless, GCU is one of the very few PODs that should you ever need it, you can download your image from the Manage Cards page.  

Quote from Mary_Melinda_412298 on Jun 8th, 2020, 9:23am:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Jun 8th, 2020, 9:15am:

That's probably best. I guess I'd better start deleting since I've accumulated so many. I can see where it might make a backup for those who aren't in the habit of backing up their work in a second location though.

Email   IP Logged
Judith_484374
GCU Newbies

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2020, 10:04am

The only way around it is to search a topic at the top of "manage" your cards.  We should have categories for our designs but don't! It's fine when you have 10 or 20 designs, but when you have many, just trying to remember what you have put up and when is complicated or if you ever made a card of it, or made three of it yet.  I'm pretty organized but I agree, It's just not artist friendly! Cumbersome.

Good luck.

.  Quote from Joyce_133459 on Jun 8th, 2020, 8:37am:
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place and/or if this has been addressed before, but here is what I'm having some trouble with.

I'm trying to clean up the images that I have stored here.  It's an immensely tedious process because I can't choose the page no. I want to go to.  I either have to go the last page, and keep clicking my way backwards, or the other way around.  When I do delete an image, I have to wait for the page to refresh ... and when it does, it always takes me back to page one and not the page I was just on.  Then I have to again go to the last page, and slowly click my way to previous pages until I come back to the one I was working on.

Is there any way we can simply jump to whatever page number we need?

Also, could we have a search bar so that we can search wihtin our images?  It takes forever to find one as it is now.  I have well over a thousand images, and I'm sure others have far more.

Maybe I'm missing something ...?

Thanks for listening!  Smiley

~Joyce

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_145102
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2020, 11:18am

Hi Joyce,
 I also delete my uploaded images as soon as I have created a card from them. When I work on a series, I upload the series all at once and as soon as a design has been put in for review and I go back to do the next in the series I delete the one I just did so as not to accidentally click on it again. This keeps everything nice and cleaned up and I don't put one in for review twice (as my memory is like a sieve! LOL)!

Email   IP Logged
Joyce_133459
artist

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2020, 11:34am

Makes a lot of sense, Betsy!

I have deleted all my images and am simply uploading as I go. I'm happy with my new (to me) system!  Not sure why I thought it best to retain everything I uploaded!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.