Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Help with paint (Read 1374 times)

Ex Member

Help with paint
Apr 13th, 2020, 6:31am

I've only ever painted on canvas before. I would like to paint a bookshelf and toy cabinet I built for my daughters. The wood is red oak if that matters. I was planning on using acrylic paint. Is there anything I need to do to the wood before, other than priming, or after I'm done to seal it? Thanks for any tips or suggestions you may have.

IP Logged
Patricia_C_414228
GCU Newbies

Re: Help with paint
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2020, 8:27am

Wood is very porous. Just as we (generally) prepare the canvas with gesso you might want to research how your wood might or might not need to be prepared. Wood houses are painted all the time though I don't know what kind of prep they need, and of course, they are painted with a different kind of paint (latex, yes, is acrylic but again, just as you have latex for your walls, you also have latex for external use).

Good luck!

Email   IP Logged
Stephie_426394
GCU Newbies

Re: Help with paint
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2020, 12:45pm

If you use chalk paints you will not need to prime. It sticks to just about everything and you'll only need a few coats. For the finish you use the wax made especially for it, and it will have a nice old fashioned finish with a soft natural glow that's really trendy now.  Some brands of chalk paint are Waverly (from Walmart) Rustoleum and American Decor from Home Depot, Annie Sloan from online dealers.  -- Stephie.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.