Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Thank you GCU for the DOD! (Read 1118 times)
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Thank you GCU for the DOD!
Mar 9th, 2020, 6:54am

Thanks so much for the DOD on my Class of 2020 Grad Party invite!  https://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/invitations/graduationparty/namespecific/n/ custom-graduation-party-class-of-1604216

I had fun with this design but wasn't sure if I could make it work for a custom name card.  Thanks so much for the reassurance!  And big thanks to the GCU Review Team for all their patience with me.   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Bruce_244612

Re: Thank you GCU for the DOD!
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2020, 7:39am

Hi Teri,

Very attractive and classy card, congrats. And, yes, the review team is top quality, many times helpful with direction and suggestions.

Bruce

Email   IP Logged
Beverly_133630

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2020, 7:40am

Beautiful grad card, congratulations!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2020, 7:59am

Congrats, Teri!  So festive, I love it!  

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2020, 8:16am

Thank you Bruce, Beverly, and Doreen!  Your encouragement and the community support is so greatly appreciated!  Wishing many Spring sales to all!

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2020, 8:23am

Nice card, Teri! Congrats on your DOD!

Email   IP Logged
Teri_179461
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2020, 11:05am

Very attractive invitation, Teri - congratulations on your DOD!  

Teri
Che Bella Nota Cards
Designs by Teri Nelson Kuster

Email   IP Logged
Doug_392990

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2020, 11:51am

Wonderful design. A well deserved DOD!
(How do you make the gold looked like foil?)
Congratulations!
Doug

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2020, 2:53pm

Thank you Sandra, Teri, and Doug!  Your kind comments mean the world -- especially because I admire all of your designs so much.  Thanks again for all the encouragement!

@ Doug ...
It's really easy to do.  I usually work in Adobe Illustrator, but you can achieve the same effects in Photoshop or any editing program.

Step 1)  Create a gradient swatch of colors.  I try to stick to simple 3-5 colors, but you can really add as many as you like.  On this card, I used only 3 colors to make the main gradient.  They are as follows (in Hex Code):  
72-58-13
FD-EF-90
BO-94-44

I did add a 4th color for the frame gradient, just give it a little differential
A3-6A-23

Step 2)  The above gradient will create a simple flat "metallic" look.  To give it the "foil" appearance, I used a combination of a "textured" overlay, plus another layer using a "film grain" effect to give it a little appearance of sparkle.  I usually like to create my own textures, but there are tons of them out there both for free and that you can purchase.  Some have an actual "foil" appearance, but it's fun to experiment with stone, marble, leather, and even sand textures -- they each create some cool effects.  

Step 3)  Create 3 layers ... 1 for your flat gradient, 1 for your texture layer, and 1 for your sparkle (or grain) layer.  Keep your gradient on the bottom layer, the texture layer in the middle using either "Overlay" or "Multiply" blending mode, and your grain or sparkle layer on the top.  Whether you're using Illustrator or Photoshop, play around with the settings on each layer until you get just the appearance that you like.  

Step 4)  Once you like the look you've put together, you can flatten the 3 layers and create a "swatch" for your color panel.  Then you can create text, objects, frames, whatever you like and apply that swatch to it ... and bingo!  You have faux Foil!  Also, once you have created your swatch an applied it to any element, you can still adjust where the light and darker parts will fall by using the slider guides in whatever program you're using.

It sounds more complicated when broken down into steps than it really is.  The first few times will take a bit of trial and error to get the look you want, but once you get the hang of it the above steps will take all of about 3 minutes to achieve.  Watch out -- it's quite addictive!  I have several hundred "swatches" that I've created over the years -- and with every new design I promise myself that I will save time and use what I already have (and I sometimes do), but more often than not, I want to create a new "effect" for that design, and so the madness begins.  But they all start and end with the steps I've outlined above.  

Have a try at it.  Have fun with it!  And let me know how you make out ... and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.  I'll be glad to help if I know the program you're working in.  Best of luck!
 Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doug_392990

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2020, 3:23pm

Wow! Thank you so much for the info. My work is mainly cartoons, but one never knows. I'll try it sometime.
Doug

Email   IP Logged
Audrey_132599
artist

Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2020, 3:49pm

Great graduation party card. Congratulations, Teri!
Blessings~
Audrey

Email   IP Logged
Pamela_135500
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2020, 6:11pm

Congrats on your design of the day, Teri! Great design!

It's nice to see you on GCU again, I am still here, although on and off as time permits as it always has been.  
I remember Buttercup. Wink  

Pamela Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2020, 7:14am

Thank you so much Audrey and Pamela!  It's been so nice to re-connect with old friends here, and the support and encouragement of this community has been comforting beyond measure.  Had some sad losses and upheaval in my life in the past 2 years, and coming back to do some work at GCU has been both healing and uplifting for me.  Thank you ALL -- fellow Artists and GCU Team -- from the bottom of my heart for the kind welcome back and fellowship that makes this place SO very special.  Love and hugs to all!

@ Pamela -- Glad to see you're still here too!  Yes, it's nice to be able to come here as time allows and do what we love to do -- create fun cards that hopefully touch others in a meaningful way.  Thanks for remembering Buttercup ... for those who don't know, Buttercup is the squirrel on my logo and avatar.  Can you believe he's still with us!  He will be 15 years old next month -- he's an old man now, arthritis, bad eyesight, but he still gets around well and keeps us amused and at his beck and call when he wants his daily pecans, lol!  BTW -- I love, love love, your adorable Irish Gerbil -- so cute!  Keep up the great work, and again, thanks for your kind words.

@ Doug, yes ... I love your hilarious cartoons!  But I can see where a splash of faux-foil would work in almost any design, lol!  Keep the laughs coming -- and again, if I can ever help, feel free to let me know.

Email   IP Logged
Pamela_135500
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Mar 10th, 2020, 3:57pm

Teri, first, so sorry to hear you have been through some difficult times. Doubly nice to see you back again then.
Life has it's ups and downs for sure.

And my goodness, Buttercup kiss is still with you! He's a legend!

Thanks also for the compliment on my gerbil card, I still love rodents and creating silly cards with them is just too much fun. There will be more versions I'm sure, when the mood strikes again. Who knows what he will be wearing or doing in in the next versions. LOL.  

See you around and your new designs are lovely.
Pamela Smiley

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.