Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Front page of my shop is funky looking (Read 2105 times)
LD_131511
artist

Front page of my shop is funky looking
Jan 13th, 2020, 11:45pm

undecided

anyone else getting a blank area below the top "header/title" image?
It happened late last year and I thought it would fix itself but no matter where I view my site here, it always has this big blank area where my cards should be listed. The left side with bulletins is fine but I have to scroll down to get to the shop images for my cards and featured cards.  

Not sure why this happened and it's in all of the browsers and different computers, so it's something to do with the site itself.

Help?  cry

Email   IP Logged
judith_134088
artist

Re: Front page of my shop is funky looking
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2020, 2:10am

SadI have 2 sites, & both of them have the same issue! The problem is not going away.

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_179799
artist

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2020, 3:19am

Hi ladies! I have this problem in 1 of my shops. This is where the scrolling card widget used to be. I tried to get rid of it to avail quite a while ago. There seems to be no option to delete it, only to change it. I am not sure if it works for anyone anymore.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2020, 7:30am

First - go to the Card Widget area in your dashboard. Down at the bottom you'll probably see a black box asking you to click/view/update java reader. Click on that. You'll be able to see your widget.

To remove the widget from your store front simply delete the HTML coding you pasted into the module of your store. HTML is not allowed in many areas of the storefront simply because it screws up the page format and needs updating regularly.  

I stopped using it in my stores a while ago for that reason. So I would suggest removal.

Try these steps, see if they help.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
LD_131511
artist

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2020, 11:45pm

I solved my own problem since other solutions weren't helping.
Took some fiddling but here's the solution that worked for me:

1) go to the Look and Design
2) Store Layout and Content
3) Uncheck the option for your Private Gallery to be visible.
4) Save

Check and see if this fixed your site...  
that was what fixed mine. No other options were working.

Email   IP Logged
judith_199949

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2020, 6:13pm

More fiddling, removing my bulletin seems to do the trick! I have no social network sites to link to, any ideas?

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2020, 2:37pm

Quote from judith_199949 on Jan 15th, 2020, 6:13pm:
More fiddling, removing my bulletin seems to do the trick! I have no social network sites to link to, any ideas?

Is there still a display issue with your storefront?

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2020, 2:44pm

Hi Mindy,

I've tried all of the advice above but still can't get rid of that black bar across the top of my store page where the cards used to run along. The widget doesn't work and the blank black space looks awful. Is there anything that GCU can do?  Huh  

Thanks, Carol

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2020, 3:20pm

History suggests that those with issues like this in their storefront are more often than not due to incorrect or leftover bits of HTML coding entered in the modules somewhere. If it were my store, I would copy everything out of the module fields so I could check it and put it back after seeing if removal did the trick.

Heard lots of these kinds of issues over the past ten years here and IT reporting back that they found HTML code entered somewhere and not playing nicely with the site.

Just a suggestion. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2020, 4:01pm

Thanks, Doreen. I'll give it a try.

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2020, 5:12pm

Hey Betsy,
Re that blank space where the widget once was. I see in your store you still have the white space under your banner. Mine was black and looked awful.
I've just got rid of it.  Grin
At first I didn't know what Doreen meant, I'm not great with computer language, and I couldn't do what she said, so I gave up. I didn't know what HTLM was.  embarrassed
But I tried again now, I had to research what HTML was first  undecided
Anyway, I finally went into store settings and in the bar beside HEADER TEXT, where all that text or HTML is, and just cut it out. I copied it first incase it was important, but it removed the black space immediately. Took two seconds and (HEY PRESTO!) It vanished. Been bugging me for ages. So give it a go, if that's what you were referring to also.

Thank Doreen, it worked. And to everyone else that gave their suggestions too.
I'm happy now!  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2020, 7:25pm

Great to hear!

Betsy, just took a look at your storefront and I can almost guarantee that the problem is coming from widget coding. The widgets are not working as well as they used too and I would not recommend putting them in the store front fields anymore. They seem to work fine when placed in HTML coded areas of websites and blogs, but they are not playing nice with the GCU store front fields where HTML coding was never intended to be used.

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2020, 9:48pm

Yes, Doreen, you're absolutely right. It was my problem too. And thanks to you, once I got rid of the coding it went away. No more widget or blank space. Thats what I ws trying to say in my longwinded message to Betsy before.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_179799
artist

Reply #13 - May 8th, 2020, 3:59am

Carol, Thank you so much for your message re: this issue! It worked like a charm!
Doreen, You are a wonder to me, your knowledge of computer language is stunning!
Hope everyone is well,
Take care,
Betsy

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #14 - May 8th, 2020, 7:15am

Grin

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.