Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Stock Card Texting (Read 679 times)
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Stock Card Texting
Apr 27th, 2019, 6:08am

On stock cards, most of my time is spent working on getting the text centered, when on top or bottom. Its always a bit to the left or right way too much, it looks good when designing, I get it back and its way off. Any suggestions on how I can get it right the first time.  
Thank you, JP

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_139193

Re: Stock Card Texting
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2019, 7:47am

Hi Janet,

No. There are no tricks. You're right, it's always a bit off and how much depends on the font choice, and size. It's a tool where you simply make slight adjustments, preview, adjust, preview, until you are happy with the results.

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_205423
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2019, 8:32am

Hi Doreen - Too bad GCU can't come up with a better way. I was fighting with it last night doing just what you said, moving text and previewing over and over. It's definitely a pain. I had ten cards to re-do. Ugh. undecided

Email   IP Logged
Bruce_244612

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2019, 11:03am

Hi Janet,

It's been that way since I joined 4 or 5 years back. Their software is very buggy and I finally quit trying.

Bruce

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_139193

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2019, 11:28am

I wouldn't call it 'buggy', I would call it unique traits. All software of this type, for some, even Photoshop, has things that don't work as well as you would like. I decided to 'master' it rather than fight it. Once you know what to expect and how it reacts, for example the size of your text box AND the alignment within said text box makes a huge difference on where your text will go when you preview vs looking at it on the screen.

After entering your text, if you then size the text box down until you see the 'bar' on the right - which indicates it's too small - you are more likely to see your text placed better in preview mode.

Software like this in most smaller companies, like GCU, was created by one programmer. When that engineer is no longer available, someone else needs to maintain. Maintenance is one thing. Re-design is an entirely different ball of wax. Having an engineer as a husband, some things have rubbed off over the past 40-years, and this is one of them. Most software engineers are VERY reluctant to attempt design changes on a tool like this which was created by someone else. In these cases, changing something will almost always cause something else to not work, creating a cascade of issues which result in a useless tool.

My advice is you either have a strong enough desire to use the stock card option and embrace it's idiosyncrasies, and develop your own method of work around - OR - you decide it's too frustrating and don't use it, like Bruce did. Major changes to fix what we all think is broken, is not likely to happen any time soon. And, there has been a 'wish list' for a long time, so GCU is already aware of our frustration areas. If it was an easy fix, they would have already done it.

Enjoy it or let it go ...  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_205423
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2019, 1:31pm

I only have the ten Stock cards, so I redid those. I prefer to create my own.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.