You must login or register to post.

Unsplash Photos (Read 1038 times)
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Unsplash Photos
Apr 9th, 2019, 10:09am

Hi everyone

Can anyone advise me please. As a photographer myself I use all my own photos for my card designs, with the exception of a few Stock Creations. However I've had a custom request for one of my cards but instead of the Jack Russell image I have on the card, the customer would like a Golden Labrador.  I don't have any photos of a Golden Labrador - Golden Retriever yes, but not Golden Labrador.  

So obviously I googled the question lol.  I found the free photo website Unsplash, the TOUs seem pretty clear that the images photographers upload to Unsplash can be used commercially but need to be either edited or used in conjunction with other elements. The other elements for my card would be the humorous text that goes with it. My plan would be to create the card, have it in my private gallery only, send the link to the customer for them to either purchase the card or not, and once it is either purchased or enough time has elapsed that it becomes clear that they don't want to purchase the card, I will delete it from my private gallery.

Has anyone got any experience with Unsplash, does this sound an acceptable use according to their licence agreement. I think it is within their terms of use but am wondering if anyone could confirm for me.

That all said I don't know for sure yet that I will be able to find a suitable photo lol

Thanks for any advice anyone is able to offer.

Natalie Smiley

Edited to add that I have indeed found a suitable photo and decided to also message the photographer who uploaded the image to Unsplash to double check about the TOUs. Fingers crossed Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Beverly_133630

Re: Unsplash Photos
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2019, 10:51am

Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2019, 11:01am

Hi Beverly

Thanks for that, another good free photos site!  I think I would have the same problem with understanding their TOUs.

Pixabay looks very similar to Unsplash re the TOUs, in that the photos can be used commercially but not without some additional element. ie they can't be used just to sell the photo completely as is, as a print, without any additional elements.  Is that how you have understood the TOUs too?

Thanks - Natalie Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_139193

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2019, 11:10am

Yes, Unsplash and Pixabay are both safe to use, when using as you have described. They are a dedicated to public domain type of license. Considering this is a custom request for your private gallery, you'll be absolutely okay to use as is if that's what works best for the customer.

Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2019, 11:48am

Quote from Doreen_139193 on Apr 9th, 2019, 11:10am:
Yes, Unsplash and Pixabay are both safe to use, when using as you have described. They are a dedicated to public domain type of license. Considering this is a custom request for your private gallery, you'll be absolutely okay to use as is if that's what works best for the customer.

Awesome, thanks Doreen Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2019, 3:03pm

Personally, I had 'tons' of beautiful "photographic cards" that I had created beautiful frames for and embellished ... deleted from my store for the reason there may be the same photos in the same categories in the market place, why they weren't just transfered to my private store is beyond me. (still not sure why they allow allow big stock cards in the marketplace with no way to embellish). With that said... not sure if you can just create these cards for your own store at first submission.., would be nice to start earning the money I once did), so Id play it safe and only use yours.  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_139193

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2019, 3:19pm

Quote from Janet_134086 on Apr 9th, 2019, 3:03pm:
Personally, I had 'tons' of beautiful "photographic cards" that I had created beautiful frames for and embellished ... deleted from my store for the reason there may be the same photos in the same categories in the market place, why they weren't just transfered to my private store is beyond me. (still not sure why they allow allow big stock cards in the marketplace with no way to embellish). With that said... not sure if you can just create these cards for your own store at first submission.., would be nice to start earning the money I once did), so Id play it safe and only use yours.

Hi Janet - I wanted to add some clarification as to why I think there is a HUGE difference between GCU's offerings of Big Stock vs someone using a public domain photo with no real added value. The stock card creations on GCU is paying the owner of the image - and GCU is paying the stock site - for this service. This added feature at GCU allows for those who are creative with language - writers vs visual artists - to pair an image and create a unique and professional looking greeting.

Public domain images are seen everywhere with no added value other than someone slapping Happy Birthday text on the font and adding a border around it. That's not creative. Anyone and everyone does this on the same images all over the internet. GCU allows the use of public domain AND creative commons imagery, but simply asks the artist community here to make a true derivative, to create something new from these widely used public domain libraries.  

To me it makes perfect sense and I hoped it might help you make more sense out your experience.

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2019, 6:01pm

Thank you Doreen, that helps a bit to my understanding, and if customers can change the wording, Big Stock to me still standing side by side image/cards, to me there would be no difference in image (and the only framing you can do is add a certain color/boarder), on a lot of my deleted cards I had embellished the colors so as to stand out against one one its liking in case it were side by side in the marketplace store, and the frames also embellished, and shadowed as well as the font, one recently that sold if I remember about 15 cards, again, photo and frame embellished, dropped shadowed the font, I could not have done any more to change it, however I do understand what you are saying. I wish GCU would reconsider re-admitting, taking declines out of public stores and moving them to our private stores, as our main purpose of selling on GCU is to promote great cards, which I believe I have and is to make money, I advertise regularly and believe I bring in most of my customers directly thru those many links. However, I admit I am not the best at inside messages, still trying to work on that creativity. Thank you again for all you do for us artists.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.