You must login or register to post.

Hawaiian Holidays (Read 1094 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Hawaiian Holidays
Apr 3rd, 2019, 1:13pm

from a shopper ...

"Hawaii - We have a number of holidays out here that are very specific to Hawaiian identity. Cards showing the statue of Kamehameha (anything but a beach at sunset) that can be customized inside would allow us the freedom to create our own for holidays like: Prince Kuhio Day, King Kamehameha birthday, Queen Ka'ahumanu Birthday, Hawaiian Independence Day, Ka La Ho'iho'i Eia. Mahalo for considering."

We have created new categories for the following Hawaiian holidays:

Holidays >>  
Hawaiian Admissions Day / Statehood Day
Hawaiian Independence Day / November 18
Hawaiian Sovereignty Restoration Day / La Hoʻihoʻi Ea
Hawaiian May Day / Lei Day
King Kamehameha I Day / Kamehameha Day / June 11
Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day / Kuhio Day / March 26
Queen Ka‘ahumanu's Birthday / March 17

Other non-occasion cards with Hawaiian designs should go here:
Collections >> Places & Cities >> U.S. States >> Hawaii  

Note: photos of the Iolani Palace for commercial usage are not permitted.  

Also, use care to not use foreign characters in the inside verse  
https://gcucommunity.com/2016/03/25/nuts-and-bolts-inside-verse-unsupported-char

acters/  

To expedite the review of these cards, please check Fast Track Review on the card image details page when you create your card and add a Note for Reviewers like "for Forum - Wanted Cards".

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Re: Hawaiian Holidays
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2019, 1:38pm

My first thought when I read this was, "Yippee! I have lots of photos I took of Iolani Palace I can use." But then I saw the note about the prohibition of commercial use for Iolani Palace. The customer says they would like the statue of Kamehameha featured, but isn't that, like many famous statues, prohibited, too?
I would not want to go ahead and feature the statue unless commercial use of a photo of Kamehameha is permitted.
Thanks,
Ramelle

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2019, 2:59pm

Quote from Ramelle_149580 on Apr 3rd, 2019, 1:38pm:
My first thought when I read this was, "Yippee! I have lots of photos I took of Iolani Palace I can use." But then I saw the note about the prohibition of commercial use for Iolani Palace. The customer says they would like the statue of Kamehameha featured, but isn't that, like many famous statues, prohibited, too?
I would not want to go ahead and feature the statue unless commercial use of a photo of Kamehameha is permitted.
Thanks,
Ramelle

Exactly, the same thing crossed our minds.  In our research, we did not find any restrictions on images of King Kamehameha statues.  If anyone has evidence otherwise please share here.

Note, the shopper is looking for any Hawaiian images/designs other than the typical "beach at sunset" to be used for Hawaiian holidays so you are not limited to King Kamehameha.

Thank you!

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2019, 3:43pm

Quote from Mindy on Apr 3rd, 2019, 2:59pm:
Thanks,
Ramelle

Exactly, the same thing crossed our minds.  In our research, we did not find any restrictions on images of King Kamehameha statues.  If anyone has evidence otherwise please share here.

Note, the shopper is looking for any Hawaiian images/designs other than the typical "beach at sunset" to be used for Hawaiian holidays so you are not limited to King Kamehameha.

Thank you!

I've been researching it, too, Mindy. (I even sent an email to the office of Honolulu's mayor, asking to be directed to any info regarding the commercial use of the statue.) In the meantime, I've seen a lot of Kamehameha products on Zazzle. I assume it's OK, but I'm just a bit wary until I know for sure.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2019, 1:43pm

No special characters on using the Custom Text card front tools either. None of the fonts will accept Hawaiian characters. Just FYI, folks.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2019, 7:23am

1565140 1565180 are in the hopper.

Email   IP Logged
Jay_134502
artist

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2019, 2:30pm

We are loving all of the new and fabulous Hawaiian inspired designs. Way to go and best wishes for many sales! Jay and Susan  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2019, 5:43pm

Quote from Ramelle_149580 on Apr 3rd, 2019, 3:43pm:
Thanks,
Ramelle

Thank you!

I've been researching it, too, Mindy. (I even sent an email to the office of Honolulu's mayor, asking to be directed to any info regarding the commercial use of the statue.) In the meantime, I've seen a lot of Kamehameha products on Zazzle. I assume it's OK, but I'm just a bit wary until I know for sure.

Thank you for your due diligence!

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2019, 6:09pm

Quote from Mindy on Apr 10th, 2019, 5:43pm:
Thanks,
Ramelle

Thank you!

I'm still working on it, Mindy. I heard back from the Mayor's office who recommended that I contact the division of government that deals with art in public places. So I contacted the Executive Director of Arts and Culture who wrote back and said that he does not know of any restrictions on use of the statue, however,  he referred me to the King Kamehameha Celebration Commission for a definative answer. I'm still waiting to hear from someone on the commission.
From what I saw on the website for the King Kamehameha Celebration Commission, there is a lot of info and forms for those who wish to use the statue in filming, but I couldn't find anything about photos of it. (I'm still reading through the gobbledygook . . .) I also wrote to the person in charge of obtaining permits for using film-footage of the statue, in hopes to get an answer regarding still shots. When all is said and done, it may be that permission is granted only on a "case by case" basis, per photo.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2019, 3:00pm

Quote from Ramelle_149580 on Apr 10th, 2019, 6:09pm:
Quote from Mindy on Apr 10th, 2019, 5:43pm:
Thanks,
Ramelle

Thank you!

I'm still working on it, Mindy. I heard back from the Mayor's office who recommended that I contact the division of government that deals with art in public places. So I contacted the Executive Director of Arts and Culture who wrote back and said that he does not know of any restrictions on use of the statue, however,  he referred me to the King Kamehameha Celebration Commission for a definative answer. I'm still waiting to hear from someone on the commission.
From what I saw on the website for the King Kamehameha Celebration Commission, there is a lot of info and forms for those who wish to use the statue in filming, but I couldn't find anything about photos of it. (I'm still reading through the gobbledygook . . .) I also wrote to the person in charge of obtaining permits for using film-footage of the statue, in hopes to get an answer regarding still shots. When all is said and done, it may be that permission is granted only on a "case by case" basis, per photo.

Thank you for your persistence and wading through the gobbledygook!  All of our artists will benefit from your investigation.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.