Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Card Cover Repeats - Good or Bad? (Read 1320 times)
Patricia_C_414228
GCU Newbies

Card Cover Repeats - Good or Bad?
Feb 28th, 2019, 6:59am

Hi guys!  

I am wondering what is the consensus about using one image over and over again. As a customer, I would be put off seeing page after page of the same image, but maybe, if someone had a very particular recipient in mind,  they don't mind it? Part of me wants to aim for a huge variety of my art, while another part thinks, "well the first two or three uses were approved, let's make life easy and do a bunch more."  

What's your take on this?

I really appreciate your insights.

Email   IP Logged
Mary_Melinda_412298

Re: Card Cover Repeats - Good or Bad?
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2019, 7:05am

Quote from Patricia_C_414228 on Feb 28th, 2019, 6:59am:
Hi guys!

I am wondering what is the consensus about using one image over and over again. As a customer, I would be put off seeing page after page of the same image, but maybe, if someone had a very particular recipient in mind,  they don't mind it? Part of me wants to aim for a huge variety of my art, while another part thinks, "well the first two or three uses were approved, let's make life easy and do a bunch more."

What's your take on this?

I really appreciate your insights.

I usually make about 8 - 10 different cards with each image. Any more than that and I couldn't come up with a unique enough description. I want to spread my designs around to various categories though so they have a better chance of being found and purchased.

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_145102
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2019, 7:24am

Hi Ladies,
 I almost always put all of my designs into many relation specific categories because I think most people are searching by category, not by looking at store pages. If they don't look at a store page they aren't seeing the same design over and over. You can tell by your sales emails most of time where the customer was browsing and I hardly ever have it say my stores, it is always a specific category.  Just my 2 cents.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2019, 7:29am

Personally I think this topic it is a double edge sword.  
If you create one card, then the design will only be found in that particular category or included in a keyword search (if you have the right keywords that match a customer's search). That could be a huge disadvantage when it comes to sales. If you do more than one card for several categories, then the image has a greater chance of being seen by customers. It is a little more time consuming but worth the effort for greater exposure.  
Next, you have to consider, you only have so many opportunities to submit designs, so submitting one design in many categories will cut into your opportunities to create more designs.  
You might just look at the design and try to consider which categories your design would do the best in. Does it offer anything different than what is available in that category? Then choose categories you feel it would do well in and offer customers a wider variety to choose from.  
At least that is my take on it. Others may feel differently or offer more insight.  
As far as the question, is it good or bad? Well I think that is subjective. There is really no correct response. I choose by design anymore. If I think it is something that would do well in certain categories, that is where I place it. I try to be selective because I can only submit so many. Custom front designs come in handy for this purpose. You can always feature cards in your store front to help them gain exposure. But write your own list of pros and cons and do what works for you I say. Good luck!

Email   IP Logged
Sharon_437040
GCU Newbies

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2019, 7:31am

When I first started here last year, I thought about the same thing. As time went on, I started making variations with my designs such as a birthday card with a specific age (from 1 to 110 on some!) or addressing a certain family member, etc., it opens up the doors for your cards to be seen when they originally may not have.  It has definitely not scared any customers away as far as I can tell.  Smiley

Sharon Dominick Photography Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/sdominick
Email   IP Logged
Patricia_C_414228
GCU Newbies

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2019, 7:49am

Wow, thanks everyone! As you can probably tell, I'm very new at this (17 cards in my shop and not all are unique images). What I was imagining is when a search is very broad, e.g., "Birthday" and up comes a bunch including several pages of the same card with differences only in recipient ("Birthday for Brother/Sister/Aunt/etc). I figured that was self defeating because you've used a tonne of slots with one image. What a waste! As an artist, I want more of my work to be seen, not less. On the other hand, once an art work has been processed to fit GCU's parameters, it's done and so easy to recycle that image.  

Everything you guys have brought up is so important to consider. Thank you so much in helping me with this. I think I shall set limits on the number of times I recycle an image and then spread them around whatever categories seem appropriate. Cheesy  

I feel so much better now.

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2019, 7:56am

Hi Patricia and welcome to GCU!

Another way to look at it is to stay with single cards for now. Build your store with unique designs. See what sells and build on those down the road. Then, your store front will look so pleasing with the variety of cards. When the time is right and you feel like making variations of the card, you can go back to the old ones, or with the fresh ones you are creating. Good luck and enjoy the process!! It is the journey that is so much fun in creating cards and knowing they are valued and used by customers in their relationships with others!

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_C_414228
GCU Newbies

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2019, 9:46am

Brilliant!

Quote from Sandra_133229 on Feb 28th, 2019, 7:56am:
Hi Patricia and welcome to GCU!

Another way to look at it is to stay with single cards for now. Build your store with unique designs. See what sells and build on those down the road. Then, your store front will look so pleasing with the variety of cards. When the time is right and you feel like making variations of the card, you can go back to the old ones, or with the fresh ones you are creating. Good luck and enjoy the process!! It is the journey that is so much fun in creating cards and knowing they are valued and used by customers in their relationships with others!

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2019, 10:30am

Hi Patricia,

Our GCU artists have advised you well!

There are two additional things to keep in mind when you consider using a design multiple times -

1. You can only use an identical card front up to three times.
GCU allows artists to use the same image to create up to 3 different cards as long as they are in different categories. This will allow you to leverage a design up to 3 times by using different, occasion specific text/verse. Text on the COVER image itself that differentiates the card like name specific, relationship specific, zodiac specific for example makes the card unique and the base image can be used more than 3 times, unlimited.   You can find a helpful video on the 3x Image Use Rule here:  http://wiki.greetingcarduniverse.com/index.php/GCU_University#Basic_Videos  

2. When creating a new design that will be a like image series please use the Concept Series Review process and wait for the first design to be approved before creating the balance of the collection. Cards submitted for series review undergo additional considerations for marketability, competitiveness and appropriateness to the proposed categories.
See here for tips on the Concept Review Pre-approval process:  
https://gcucommunity.com/2013/09/10/tips-and-tricks-pre-approval-for-card-series

-with-fast-track/  

Hope this is helpful.
Ella
Reviewer 758

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_C_414228
GCU Newbies

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2019, 10:48am

Now I'm getting confused. If I use the same art but different wording on the cover, it's a different "image." But if I use the exact same image (art and wording) it is a concept series? Is that right? How would that concept series work? It's one card? I think I need an example. The only thing I can think of is an image with not wording that is used all over the place - but then that goes against the 3 times per image rule. I really don't understand this "image series" or Concept Series idea at all. Can someone explain? I hate not understanding something. Thank you!

Quote from Card_Review_Team on Feb 28th, 2019, 10:30am:
Hi Patricia,

There are two additional things to keep in mind when you consider using a design multiple times -

GCU allows artists to use the same image to create up to 3 different cards as long as they are in different categories. This will allow you to leverage a design up to 3 times by using different, occasion specific text/verse. Text on the COVER image itself that differentiates the card like name specific, relationship specific, zodiac specific for example makes the card unique and the base image can be used more than 3 times, unlimited.   You can find a helpful video on the 3x Image Use Rule here:  http://wiki.greetingcarduniverse.com/index.php/GCU_University#Basic_Videos  

2. When creating a new design that will be a like image series please use the Concept Series Review process and wait for the first design to be approved before creating the balance of the collection. Cards submitted for series review undergo additional considerations for marketability, competitiveness and appropriateness to the proposed categories.
https://gcucommunity.com/2013/09/10/tips-and-tricks-pre-approval-for-card-series

-with-fast-track/

Hope this is helpful.
Ella
Reviewer 758

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_C_414228
GCU Newbies

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2019, 10:54am

Or does this concept series mean for example, a "Happy xth Birrthday" where the only difference is "xth," that is to say, the numeric value of the birthday. And because it is essentially the same card it does not violate the 3 card per image rule. Am I correct?

Quote from Patricia_C_414228 on Feb 28th, 2019, 10:48am:
Now I'm getting confused. If I use the same art but different wording on the cover, it's a different "image." But if I use the exact same image (art and wording) it is a concept series? Is that right? How would that concept series work? It's one card? I think I need an example. The only thing I can think of is an image with not wording that is used all over the place - but then that goes against the 3 times per image rule. I really don't understand this "image series" or Concept Series idea at all. Can someone explain? I hate not understanding something. Thank you!

Quote from Card_Review_Team on Feb 28th, 2019, 10:30am:
Hi Patricia,

-with-fast-track/

Hope this is helpful.
Ella
Reviewer 758

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2019, 11:59am

Hi Patrica,

Sorry to confuse.

The 3X use rule applies to an identical card front in every way, same image, same text, same color, the only difference being that the verse inside is different and speaks to a different category. For example -
Use 1. A verse that speaks to thinking of you.
Use 2. A verse that speaks to get well soon.
Use 3. A verse that speaks to happy birthday.
Card front is used three times. No more allowable versions of this identical card front unless the text on the card front changes.

Which brings us to -
If the card front artwork or design is the same BUT the text on the card front speaks to a different occasion, age, relationship, occupation, etc.
Use 1. Card front has text Thinking of You.
Use 2. Card front has text Get Well Soon.
Use 3. Card front has text Happy Birthday.
Each of these examples make this a different card and you could use it in unlimited categories as long as the image is appropriate for the occasion chosen. This usage would be considered a series and subject to the  Concept Series Review process as advised in our initial reply and would undergo additional considerations for marketability, competitiveness and appropriateness to the proposed categories.

Similarly, per your example, the same basic image used for an age specific birthday series where only the age changes is also considered a series and subject to the Concept Series Review process as advised above.

Hope that clarifies it a little further for you.

Ella
Reviewer 758

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_C_414228
GCU Newbies

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2019, 6:34pm

Thank you, Ella!

Quote from Card_Review_Team on Feb 28th, 2019, 11:59am:
Hi Patrica,

Sorry to confuse.

The 3X use rule applies to an identical card front in every way, same image, same text, same color, the only difference being that the verse inside is different and speaks to a different category. For example -
Use 1. A verse that speaks to thinking of you.
Use 2. A verse that speaks to get well soon.
Use 3. A verse that speaks to happy birthday.
Card front is used three times. No more allowable versions of this identical card front unless the text on the card front changes.

Which brings us to -
If the card front artwork or design is the same BUT the text on the card front speaks to a different occasion, age, relationship, occupation, etc.
Use 1. Card front has text Thinking of You.
Use 2. Card front has text Get Well Soon.
Use 3. Card front has text Happy Birthday.
Each of these examples make this a different card and you could use it in unlimited categories as long as the image is appropriate for the occasion chosen. This usage would be considered a series and subject to the  Concept Series Review process as advised in our initial reply and would undergo additional considerations for marketability, competitiveness and appropriateness to the proposed categories.

Similarly, per your example, the same basic image used for an age specific birthday series where only the age changes is also considered a series and subject to the Concept Series Review process as advised above.

Hope that clarifies it a little further for you.

Ella
Reviewer 758

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.