Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
PayPal alternatives in the future (Read 2803 times)
Stephie_426394
GCU Newbies

PayPal alternatives in the future
Jan 23rd, 2019, 5:48pm

Hello, everyone, I just switched my payment method from PayPal to check. I did this because when I went to  my PayPal account this month I was asked to provide three types of personal information … a scan of my SS card, the scan of a utility bill or other invoice such as mortgage, and a scan of my photo ID. In my opinion, this level of data harvesting is not reasonable. Has anyone else had this experience with PayPal recently? Did you comply or do you think receiving a check is more secure.    

Personally, I don't believe that giving an online entity like Paypal that level of personal information is safe. I am hoping that GCU will consider an alternative company that doesn't data harvest. eBay for instance is phasing out PayPal in favor of a different company for the majority of its money transfers by 2020. I not sure if getting away from PayPal will be easy, but I was not comfortable sending Elon Musk, the owner of PayPal, my photo ID. What do you all think?  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_139193

Re: PayPal alternatives in the future
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2019, 6:10pm

I have never had PayPal ask for that type of information. Curious, are in in the U.S.?

Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2019, 6:31pm

I have used PayPal for years and have never been asked for that type of information. That sounds more like a phishing site looking for information than the actual PayPal site. Was the little green lock showing in your address bar to show that it is a verified site (meaning the digital certificate for the site was verified and therefore a secure site)? Or were you locked out of your account for some reason? That is not normal activity in my experience.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_139193

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2019, 7:28pm

My thoughts exactly, Tammy.

Quote from Tammy_131374 on Jan 23rd, 2019, 6:31pm:
I have used PayPal for years and have never been asked for that type of information. That sounds more like a phishing site looking for information than the actual PayPal site. Was the little green lock showing in your address bar to show that it is a verified site (meaning the digital certificate for the site was verified and therefore a secure site)? Or were you locked out of your account for some reason? That is not normal activity in my experience.

Email   IP Logged
judith_199949

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2019, 7:57am

Pay Pal never need all that info from me?

Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2019, 8:04am

Wow, no, I’ve definitely never been asked for that type of info from PayPal! That doesn’t sound right at all.

Email   IP Logged
Stephie_426394
GCU Newbies

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2019, 8:06am

It is real PayPal. I was able to transfer my funds to my bank account. I didn't enter through an email, but through my usual PayPal login. Also, I was able to send a formal complaint through the page. I checked this morning and it is still demanding scans of my photo ID and SS card by January 27th. The reason given is to prevent money laundering. The sums transferred in my PayPal account are under $1000 a year, so I do not believe this excuse. I believe it is data harvesting because they have lost eBay as their prime client and are being phased out by 2020. Their stock is going down, but through data harvesting they can recoup money through selling our data. They've been caught doing this already. Researching this, I think it is happening to some users in the UK as well as the US.  

My plan is to leave my account open with a zero balance. But I won't use them if I can help it. I think you can work around the request for scans of private documents as long as you don't try to send or spend through Paypal. You may be still able to receive and move money to your bank account for the time being.  

Email   IP Logged
Bruce_244612

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2019, 10:17am

Hi Stephie,  

After a bit of research here is a site with clear info on what PayPal requires. Anything else is a scam:    

https://money.howstuffworks.com/paypal1.htm  

Best, Bruce

Email   IP Logged
Stephie_426394
GCU Newbies

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2019, 11:46am

I only wish it were a simple scam, Bruce, but unfortunately it is the REAL PayPal that is doing the scamming. I've reported them to Judicial Watch, and will also report them to my state board of governors and the Federal Government. They are saying that they are trying to prevent money laundering and a lot of people are complying by scanning their IDs and passports. I Tweeted a complaint to PayPal directly today and instead of answering me, they deleted my Tweet. Here is a link where you can see the windows that come up when I log into PayPal directly … by the way, I never answered any emails from Paypal. I never have, and never will. I always go directly to my LogIn.  I've checked at least 10 times now, and this is a scheme PayPal is rolling out themselves … it is not a 3rd party scam. If you get this demand for scans of your private documents from PayPal, I urge you to report them to your state Board of Governors.  http://www.stephiemccarthy.com/PayPalDocumentation.html

Email   IP Logged
Bruce_244612

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2019, 1:02pm

Thanks for the great information and heads-up. If I/we get the same demands from PayPal that you described I'll certainly not comply and will definitely report them and close the account. Those demands would be excessive and would require reporting.  

Stephie, thanks again.

Bruce

Email   IP Logged
Stephie_426394
GCU Newbies

Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2019, 2:10pm

You're welcome, Bruce.  I have reported PayPal to my state Governor's office and to Judicial Watch. When the Federal government reopens, I will report them to the Federal Trade Commission. I want the companies I work with to know that PayPal is not the company we all signed up with so many years ago, and to be ready with a backup plan for money transfers by a more trust worthy company.    

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_145102
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2019, 8:06am

Wow! Thanks Stephanie for bringing this up. I will be following this closely to see what is going on!

Email   IP Logged
Bruce_244612

Reply #12 - Jan 25th, 2019, 8:08am

Hi Stephanie,

Sorry to bother you with one last question - was all this triggered by applying for a PayPal credit card?

Thanks,

Bruce

Email   IP Logged
Stephie_426394
GCU Newbies

Reply #13 - Jan 25th, 2019, 9:27am

Hi, Bruce, I barely use PayPal at all and did not change anything and have had an account there for around 15 years.  I found out that this demand for private documents is enabled by the Patriot Act. Our own government is allowing PayPal to demand private documents to be stored on commercial servers. It's just not right. I'm educating myself on legislation that is designed to get rid of the Patriot Act. I will not be sending any scans of my private documents to a company that sells it's data overseas … they've already been caught doing that.

Email   IP Logged
Michael_197150

Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2019, 3:08am

Only time they asked for any additional documents showing my address was when my account was hacked and withdraws were made in another state. But they wanted the information through our sherif department along with a report of fraud from them. I had money back in my account within a day.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.