Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Freepix - 3rd party content alert (Read 1566 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Freepix - 3rd party content alert
Jan 23rd, 2019, 4:00pm

Freepix seems to have changed their TOU/Membership Agreement since GCU last reviewed it (potentially March 2017) to familiarize the review team with their terms. GCU will now be following these new Terms of Use moving forward on new submissions. For those artists who use images from this 3rd party site, these are the areas in the new terms GCU will be taking into consideration on future reviews.  

The following is an excerpt taken from the Freepik site here:
https://support.freepik.com/hc/en-us/articles/208978605-How-can-I-use-Freepik-s-
resources-for-commercial-purposes-

Can I use Freepik's resources on printed products I intend to sell?
If you want to use our resources commercially for Print on Demand (POD) products, you must make sure that they’re not the main element of the design(s) that appear on your product.

This means that you must use other third party designs or your own images to make the main elements of the design and use Freepik images as backgrounds or secondary elements of the composition. Our images cannot be the element with more weight in the final composition, there must be some other elements, not from Freepik, that caught the eye first.

If multiple Freepik images are used to create the design, then these will all be considered main elements, as they all belong to Freepik.

If you download any of Freepik's resources, you must make sure that the chosen designs are not used in your own design as the main element of your composition.  

In addition, GCU has a "no as-is" usage policy.  When using 3rd party creative, each artist is responsible for understanding and following the source's terms of usage. See GCU Community blog for related post:
https://gcucommunity.com/2016/07/22/nuts-and-bolts-no-as-is-usage-of-3rd-party-c
ontent/

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_294968
GCU Newbies

Re: Freepix - 3rd party content alert
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2019, 4:39pm

Huh

Thankfully I never use them as the star of the show.. but still  
that license is not that cheep.

So how the heck do you get around that one?  
*Thinks** The wording
for example, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, must be the prominent element,
to get around that problem, making the word stick out further
than the Unicorn? That would work would it not?

Checking these things.. oh and just what I have heard...
be very careful what you buy from the hungry.jpg, I have seen
the facebook group called "who stole my images" complain some
very bad people have been selling their designs on that particular
platform... hearsay hearsy  (( allegedly)) << Wink  ... but always back check images, they
99% of the time are to lazy to even re name the set or graphic
and it's easy to find owners.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2019, 5:33pm

Quote from Tanya_294968 on Jan 23rd, 2019, 4:39pm:
Huh

Thankfully I never use them as the star of the show.. but still
that license is not that cheep.

So how the heck do you get around that one?
*Thinks** The wording
for example, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, must be the prominent element,
to get around that problem, making the word stick out further
than the Unicorn? That would work would it not?

Checking these things.. oh and just what I have heard...
be very careful what you buy from the hungry.jpg, I have seen
the facebook group called "who stole my images" complain some
very bad people have been selling their designs on that particular
platform... hearsay hearsy  (( allegedly)) << Wink  ... but always back check images, they
99% of the time are to lazy to even re name the set or graphic
and it's easy to find owners.

There is no getting around it.  It must be part of your intentional design work to result in following their specifications:
This means that you must use other third party designs or your own images to make the main elements of the design and use Freepik images as backgrounds or secondary elements of the composition. Our images cannot be the element with more weight in the final composition, there must be some other elements, not from Freepik, that caught the eye first.  

Adding larger text alone does not meet Freepix requirements nor would it meet GCU's "no as-is" usage policy.

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_294968
GCU Newbies

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2019, 3:58am

Ahh I see it now, but I was sort of correct ish in a roundabout way..

This is their good and bad images that are on the page, with big old wording and small image? I tried to link but the forum does not like image... so this way is good for GCU?
I want to clarify, I know that rarely do I use them but it's best to ask.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_139193

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2019, 7:28am

Hi Tanya -

When you look at the Freepix link Mindy provided, there is a red crab shown being used in the 2nd of their examples where the crab is paired with other beach items and then a message ...

THAT is what GCU will accept and what Freepix requires with licensing. In other words, combining one of their images and a message IS NOT enough for their license, nor does it fit GCU's 3rd party no as-is. As I understand it, for artists to meet BOTH Freepix and GCU requirements, a Freepix image is ONLY ONE of many elements in the design.

So ask yourself, if you took the Freepix or other 3rd party graphic element out of the design, what would the visual main focal point be? If it's just a border or words or a background, then it won't fly with GCU and it's not following Freepix license.

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2019, 7:44am

Alright, I like Freepix!  

Good sample of how to use their images too, regarding the red crab. So often I get questions on how to use my clipart that I sell, trying to explain that my graphics are not to be used 'as is' - you must add other artwork to it!! Part of your design, geesh! I think I'll make a reference photo like this so they instantly see! Visuals are everything!

Thanks for this info!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.