Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Ellipses , what is the rule??? (Read 580 times)
Karen_137659
artist

Ellipses , what is the rule???
Jan 23rd, 2019, 8:18am

Ok so every time I use an ellipses, my card comes back for editing, no matter what I do it always seems there's a different rule, so according to this site... https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/ellipses.asp it can any which way. Does anyone really know????

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Re: Ellipses , what is the rule???
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2019, 8:54am

Hi Karen,

Thank you for seeking clarification.

This link to various posts on the GCU Community blog will answer your question on ellipsis use on GCU.
https://gcucommunity.com/?s=ellipsis

Ella  
Reviewer 758

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_139193

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2019, 9:21am

Hi Karen,

You are correct that the ellipsis usage is different from one site to another; however when GCU posted the link that the review team left you below, I use that every time on my cards and they fly through review. So, GCU has a method to follow for ellipsis use on their site, follow it and you'll never have returns for ellipsis again. Smiley  

That's been my experience, anyway.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Karen_137659
artist

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2019, 9:33am

Thanks Doreen, well if I read the article correctly, there should be NO ellipses on the front of the card and a space between the ellipses and the first word on the inside. I hope I got that correct.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_139193

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2019, 9:44am

Quote from Karen_137659 on Jan 23rd, 2019, 9:33am:
Thanks Doreen, well if I read the article correctly, there should be NO ellipses on the front of the card and a space between the ellipses and the first word on the inside. I hope I got that correct.

That is NOT correct. All the article says is that the ellipsis is often misused on the card front or over-used. There are times when it's appropriate.

Card front:

When I think of ... (notice space after of, then three dots)

Inside would then be:

... you and I my world spins.  (inside verse begins with the ellipsis a space and then the continued message)

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.