Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Glad to be back & Thank You GCU (Read 3148 times)
Michael_197150

Glad to be back & Thank You GCU
Jan 17th, 2018, 4:57am

Glad to be back
A little over two years ago we moved to an area the USDA does not even call rural but rather "Frontier remote level 4". So for the last two years I've submitted very few new designs and have not been able to access the forum at all. Our internet speed was only 21K which is half of the old dial up service several decades ago. Monday due to a Federal grant to get internet to unserved areas we now have internet and it is faster than what we had living in the city. No more driving two towns over to log on.

Thank You GCU
Even with the limited access my card sales continued to increase every quarter. For that I have to thank GCU for such a well operated site. I look forward to the future here especially since I will once again be able to be active in my card designs and promoting my cards.

Email   IP Logged
Bruce_244612

Re: Glad to be back & Thank You GCU
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2018, 8:49am

Hi Michael,

Welcome back. I know from reading your entries a couple years back that you're a successful member of GCU. The competition is rough but you have done well. We live in the rolling hills of PA in a rural area also and the internet situation is not ideal. I'm curious about the Federal grant not having ever heard of it. Could you speak to that a bit?

Thanks,

Bruce

Email   IP Logged
Michael_197150

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2018, 9:48am

Bruce our property next the Huron National Forest. Frontier had received a grant two years ago to install fiber optic cables to areas in the county that had no access to internet. We did not even have a phone line to carry internet. We were told that our phone line was over 60 years old and would not carry a signal. There were several internet companies that received these grants for different regions. On our road there are only three families and we are the last one before the National forest. We are also on the outer edge of cell phone coverage so this internet will also provide phone service.

Email   IP Logged
Bruce_244612

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2018, 10:00am

Thanks Michael for the reply. I'll do some research on line but it doesn't sound like it would fit our situation although we are the last hardline phone on the overhead wire and cannot get cable or anything but  intermittent dish reception depending on the weather, sunspots, nesting birds, and mice.  

Bruce

Email   IP Logged
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2018, 11:58am

Welcome back! I hope you knew about these tech issues before you moved in, otherwise this must have been quite a shock!  Grin

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2018, 1:51pm

Welcome back, Michael.
Carol  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Sue_180701
artist

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2018, 2:18pm

Good to hear from you, Michael!   Welcome back!

Email   IP Logged
Michael_197150

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2018, 5:42pm

Stacia: "Welcome back! I hope you knew about these tech issues before you moved in, otherwise this must have been quite a shock!"

Before we purchased the home we checked with Dish and Frontier, they assured us we would have service at the home. When we moved in the story changed. There service was not available for us. My wife was deaf and depended on internet voice to text phone service. She was also totally disabled due to a stroke. So she was cut off to the outside world. We even had to petition the Post Master to get mail delivery. We finally got that several months later.

She passed away last February but the day before she got sick December 27th she told me our year here was the happiest years of her life. The next day she got very ill and died eight weeks later. Before she died she had me promise not to give up my photography and to get back to designing cards. I'm glad I can do that again.

Email   IP Logged
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2018, 8:02am

Oh, Michael, our hearts go out to you! This must have been such a trying period. I'm glad, though, that your wife must have loved the beauty of your remote location, and that you brought her such joy.  

I'm glad that she made you promise to get back to designing. You have lovely cards & she knows that you are spreading joy and comfort with your photography.  

Blessings, and may this year be one of calm & recovery.  

Stacia

Email   IP Logged
Sue_180701
artist

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2018, 8:26am

My heart goes out to you, Michael.

Sending you love and wishing you peace as you begin again.

Email   IP Logged
Bruce_244612

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2018, 8:43am

I'm sorry to hear of such a loss as you have had, Michael. She must have been a special being and she had you and her beautiful place on earth in her final days. It looks like you're carrying out her wishes with dedication.  

Bruce

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.