Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Use of word Twitter (Read 3301 times)
Joanne_416952
GCU Newbies

Use of word Twitter
Sep 27th, 2017, 2:17am

Does anyone know if it is permissible to use the word TWITTER on a greeting card? Many thanks xx

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: Use of word Twitter
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2017, 7:30am

Twitter is a business which is undoubtedly branded and copyright protected, like Disney or Barbie. I can't imagine that being allowed. I'm not the authority on the subject though. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2017, 7:46am

On the other hand twitter or tweet was a word long before it was associated with a social media platform so it may depend on your actual usage. IE: Birds going tweet tweet or twittering. Would be nice to know the Official GCU stance on this.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2017, 8:01am

Quote from Diana_131887 on Sep 27th, 2017, 7:46am:
On the other hand twitter or tweet was a word long before it was associated with a social media platform so it may depend on your actual usage. IE: Birds going tweet tweet or twittering. Would be nice to know the Official GCU stance on this.

Great point, Diana. I don't think I've ever used twitter in a sentence, but if the use of twitter on/in a card does not refer to social media - it's probably allowed.

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2017, 8:39am

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for asking this question.

The term 'Twitter' and the logo is trademarked and not permitted for commercial use so you cannot use the term on cards for sale on GCU. This applies to the Twitter name, the Twitter bird, Tweet.

As a general guide, we do consider the use of 'tweet' or 'tweeting' when it is all lowercase and used in relation to a bird image (not the Twitter bird) and NO social media imagery or text is used or implied.

Reviewer 758
Ella

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2017, 10:50am

Twitter has been a word long before a business appropriated it for their own use.
Disney used the word "twitterpated" in Bambi to denote a mind (head/pate) that was all a-twitter with love.
I would not hesitate to use it as a word, but I would probably not to refer to the actual Twitter which is a business.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2017, 5:34pm

In general the use of the terms twitter or tweet on/in a card as well as in the card metadata would NOT be allowed if in any way refers to social media and technology.

As designs and verses vary this will be determined on a card by card basis.  

We will take a sweep of existing cards on the site as a double check to reinforce this.  

The logo and bird both would clearly be off limits and not allowed.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.