Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Re edit card YEARS later after accepted?! (Read 1529 times)
Terri_138640
artist

Re edit card YEARS later after accepted?!
Jul 9th, 2017, 9:56am

Ages ago I realized I had neither time nor money to keep submitting to GCU when they changed their standards. I could wait months for reviews on if a card was accepted and by that time I forgot where the original file even was.
But this one takes the cake.  undecided  Years. Years after this card was put up for sale and accepted you come back with a 'please re-edit this card'.

No. Feel free to take the card down. I have a paying job and shops on other sites. They did not force me to wait months even for a view. I have no time to go back over edits you should've asked me to make literally YEARS AGO.  The store sits there just for the few cards people like and I hate to deprive them. (It sure isn't there because I'm making any real profit.) Any minor punctuation errors haven't been challenged for years. Take the card down if you like, but somehow I doubt it was a customer who grumbled: they can read the thing right there in the store after all. Is this why you never had time to review new cards? You were nitpicking the old ones whether they sold or not?

Email   IP Logged
Studio_139120
GCU Newbies
artist

Re: Re edit card YEARS later after accepted?!
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2017, 10:41am

Very well said!!

Quote from Terri_138640 on Jul 9th, 2017, 9:56am:
Ages ago I realized I had neither time nor money to keep submitting to GCU when they changed their standards. I could wait months for reviews on if a card was accepted and by that time I forgot where the original file even was.
But this one takes the cake.  undecided  Years. Years after this card was put up for sale and accepted you come back with a 'please re-edit this card'.

No. Feel free to take the card down. I have a paying job and shops on other sites. They did not force me to wait months even for a view. I have no time to go back over edits you should've asked me to make literally YEARS AGO.  The store sits there just for the few cards people like and I hate to deprive them. (It sure isn't there because I'm making any real profit.) Any minor punctuation errors haven't been challenged for years. Take the card down if you like, but somehow I doubt it was a customer who grumbled: they can read the thing right there in the store after all. Is this why you never had time to review new cards? You were nitpicking the old ones whether they sold or not?

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2017, 4:00pm

So true Terri, quite a demoralising experience! The hours wasted could have been better spent!xxx

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2017, 4:59pm

These 'new' standards were put in place in January of 2012 - that's FIVE years ago!

That means, We Artists - and I'm still working on mine - have had all those years to go through our stores and make improvements. I found that many of the old designs in my store which may not have met the Submission Guidelines, in fact no longer met my own standards and were an embarrassment to me. So I took the opportunity to make improvements.

Choosing to fix or not old designs is a choice. Choosing to be here or not, is a choice. There is NOTHING demoralizing about it, it's business. POD sites opened around 2005 and every one who liked to create started uploading millions of images. Not all are quality. Not all are marketable. If you as an artist have not gone through your old, tired designs from the past on EVERY site you are on, then you won't be selling soon. EVERY print on demand site is going through similar growing pains. GOOGLE is placing demands on how product designs are listed and indexed. You may complain, but doing nothing, solves nothing.

At GCU, at least we know what designs they no longer feel have a marketable value. On other sites, your stuff will just slowing slip to the end of a very, very competitive and LONG line of artists who do care about their sales and quality of art, therefore they are taking the time to do the work - and in doing so, are reaping the sales benefit.

Sorry for my soapbox, ladies. But this is a very old song and one that you are choosing to sing instead of composing a new one that will serve you well.

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_145102
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2017, 2:46am

Terri,  
 As Doreen stated, it has been no secret that the reviewers have been revisiting older approved designs to check they meet the current marketability standards.
Am I correct that you had 1 design sent back for a punctuation error? If that is the case then why the temper tantrum? I would think you would want your design to be correct. You are OK that your customers have overlooked this error for years and it can go on that way?  
I have come across typos in other designers' cards over the years and have contacted them directly to let them know about it. All have been gracious and grateful to have the opportunity to fix the error that our human reviewers may have missed. The reviewers are only human and as crazy as it may seem, they do miss a typo on rare occasions.  
As for your comment that waiting for a review, you couldn't remember where your original file even was if you had to edit, what would you do if you had a custom request for a specific design if you don't know where your files are?
As you stated you gave up years ago here at GCU so naturally you are not making any real profit. Are you expecting sales to come out of the woodwork while you put in no work on your shop?  
I am sorry that you gave up and chose not to take advantage of the professional help from the reviewers, fellow designers, and even owners, all of whom want us all to succeed as long as we are willing to do the work.  
In my situation, I try to work as hard as I can here so I can quit my night job, and I think maybe in a year or two that may be the case. And if I have that extra time to work even harder here, I am confident I will make even more.  
Everyone is different and has their own priorities, but in the end, it is up to us to do the hard work, not work under the illusion that if it is out there it should be making millions while I do nothing and have sour grapes when an edit is needed. That is part of the job, one I feel you haven't embraced yet feel the need to lash out at the very people that are only here to help.
Best of luck to you with your other shops. I am glad you will be happier there.

Email   IP Logged
Barbara_289338

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2017, 3:26am

I want to endorse what Doreen and Betsy said.
As a watercolor painting instructor, I always encouraged my students to expand their boundaries, try out new things, get better with every painting, strive for perfection. Not just put an image onto paper in a slapdash way. But to make that image/painting so good, that it makes the artist smile and sigh contently, feeling happy with a job well done.

That concerns not only design.
It especially concerns punctuation errors! Put yourself in the shoes of a buying customer. They rely on the artist to get everything correct. Especially since they paid good money for a card. So it is up to the artist to ensure that all grammar is correct. I for one am very grateful for all reviewers who have corrected my English mistakes over the years.  

As for me, I can say that many of my cards were returned for edits. Some for grammar reasons, some for design reasons. I fixed the issue, gave the cards a new make-up and freshened up the design. The results? I grew artistically and got more sales ...

Barbara

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.