Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Doing searches for storefronts and artists (Read 1911 times)
Colleen_254294
GCU Newbies

Doing searches for storefronts and artists
Feb 19th, 2017, 11:39pm

I can't figure out how to find an individual artist on this site, nor find a storefront. They do not get called up for some reason when you type their names in the Search Cards bar. Another GCU artist left a testimonial on my page recently, she left her first name and her store name, and I wanted to look her up and thank her, but nothing related to her would come up as I tried to find her store on the site. Is it possible to change fix this issue?

Currently I just put my last name and store name in the keywords, so that my cards come up when you type the names in the search bar, but that's just a work-around.

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Re: Doing searches for storefronts and artists
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2017, 12:03am

Hi, Colleen~
That's an easy one  Smiley Just go to the GCU homepage and find the Design of the Day at the bottom right side. Above it you'll see the pale blue words: "Our Artists",  above the Design of the Day thumbnail. Click on that and you can look up any artist on GCU, using the search box.  

PS: You can choose which you want to search, as shown below:

Sort by:   Latest Artist   # of Cards  Artist Name  Most Recently Updated  Store Name

Email   IP Logged
Colleen_254294
GCU Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2017, 12:34am

ahhhhhhhh thanks, Ramelle!

Although... still not as intuitive as using the search bar, and somewhat difficult to find on the page unless you know exactly where to look. So now that I have my question answered, I move on to suggest making this link of See All Artists easier to find.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2017, 12:42am

Quote from Colleen_254294 on Feb 20th, 2017, 12:34am:

Although... still not as intuitive as using the search bar, and somewhat difficult to find on the page unless you know exactly where to look. So now that I have my question answered, I move on to suggest making this link of See All Artists easier to find.  Smiley

I totally agree, Colleen. I only found this by trial and error. Next time I need to look up an artist, I probably will have forgotten how to find the magic button. Then I'll ask on the Forum, and you can give me the key.
Only by luck did I stumble across that pale blue "Our Artists" in the first place. Perhaps there's some info on the GCU Wiki that I missed, but it really needs to be clearer. You should send your suggestion to GCU Support.

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2017, 12:46am

[quote author=Ramelle_149580 link=1487576395/0#3 date=1487580170]Quote from Colleen_254294 on Feb 20th, 2017, 12:34am:

I forgot to mention . . . if you click on the artist's name in the left top corner of these Forum posts (just above the profile photo) you can send a message directly to the artist.

Email   IP Logged
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2017, 4:09am

Some additional thoughts -  

1. Your work of putting in your last name and store name in the keywords is not wasted because there is an extra benefit: those keywords help your store and cards to be found on the internet, not just at GCU.

2. If you did manage to find someone's store at GCU, some people have customized their store layouts to include the "contact us" field (and some have not), which can aid in sending a message to an artist, as many artists do not leave comments in the forums.  

3. It seems that "Our Artists" pagination feature isn't working properly this morning and I will report it to support. Today, when I selected "next" or "page 2" for many categories, they jumped to displaying page 26.  

4. I agree with Ramelle that you should always feel free to make suggestions to GCU. They really do listen, especially when many people make the same comments. Do make sure to place your suggestions in the correct part of the forum & not in "artist chatter".  

Welcome! And good luck!

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2017, 7:08am

Colleen for bringing this up
Ramelle for the info
Stacia for the good tip that Putting our names/store name in the key word field is a good practice and why. I've always wondered if I should or if it was just a waste of space. Now I make a habit of doing so.

always  learning new things here.

Email   IP Logged
Colleen_254294
GCU Newbies

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2017, 9:40am

! Thanks for the info, all!

Email   IP Logged
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2017, 10:34am

Quote from Colleen_254294 on Feb 20th, 2017, 9:40am:
! Thanks for the info, all!

You're welcome!  

I should be more clear, though, about what I do regarding my listed item #1. I usually only use my store name as a keyword phrase, and do not usually put my personal name. My store name is long & thus uses quite of few spots of the character allotment for keywords.  

Because GCU has each artist's name under each artist's card and each instance links back to the artist's store, I decided that was sufficient for me, and so I currently don't usually put my name as a keyword phrase.

This also works for me because my last name is part of my store name. Of course, I don't know if this is the best strategy, but it's a clearer description of what I do. I would welcome advice from any more SEO-experienced members!  Wink

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2017, 6:48pm

Hi Colleen,  
I think it's me you're looking for, as I'm your 1st testimonial.  Grin First of many I'm sure.
Like I said, I love your style and colours, even your store banner head.

Hope you have many many sales.  

Carol

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.