Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Corrections St. Paddy's NOT St. Patty's (Read 1757 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Corrections St. Paddy's NOT St. Patty's
Feb 13th, 2017, 5:00pm

Recent finding and corrective actions for St. Patrick's Day cards which can also be called St. Paddy's Day but NOT St. Patty's Day.

Please see the details here on the GCU Community blog:
https://gcucommunity.com/2017/02/13/nuts-and-bolts-corrections-for-st-patricks-d
ay/

embarrassed

Email   IP Logged
Cathy_151407
artist

Re: Corrections St. Paddy's NOT St. Patty's
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2017, 5:40pm

Americans do not know that St. Patrick comes from St. Padraig in Irish.

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2017, 7:49am

Cheesy

I am very glad mine were found so I could correct them!! All this time I thought it was fine to spell St. Patty's day, now I know!!

Oh, and four leaf clovers are not part of this Holiday either, although there can be four leaf shamrocks, but three leaf shamrocks/clovers are preferred.

Thanks for the continued help Mindy! and gang!

Cherie

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2017, 8:10am

Hi Cherie,

No, t's not because the 3 leaf shamrock is preferred, there is no such thing as a 4 leaf one. A shamrock is not the same as a clover. There can never be 4 leaves. The shamrock with it's 3 leaves (trinity) relates to Ireland, and PADDY'S day  Smiley  

The clover is usually just associated with good luck.

Carol  

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2017, 11:25am

Quote from CAROL_243890 on Feb 14th, 2017, 8:10am:
Hi Cherie,

No, t's not because the 3 leaf shamrock is preferred, there is no such thing as a 4 leaf one. A shamrock is not the same as a clover. There can never be 4 leaves. The shamrock with it's 3 leaves (trinity) relates to Ireland, and PADDY'S day  Smiley

The clover is usually just associated with good luck.

Carol  

I just looked it up, a shamrock is a small clover, there can be four leafed clovers, which are considered lucky!

From Wikipedia: A shamrock is a young sprig of clover, used as a symbol of Ireland. Saint Patrick, Ireland's patron saint, is said to have used it as a metaphor for the Christian Holy Trinity.[1] The name shamrock comes from Irish seamróg [ˈʃamˠɾˠoːɡ], which is the diminutive of the Irish word for clover (seamair) and means simply "little clover" or "young clover".[2]

Clovers occasionally have four leaflets, instead of the usual three. These four-leaf clovers, like other rarities, are considered lucky. Clovers can also have five, six, or more leaflets, but these are rarer. The record for most leaflets is 56, set on 10 May 2009.[5] This beat the "21-leaf clover",[6] a record set in June 2008 by the same discoverer, who had also held the prior Guinness World Record of 18.[7]

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2017, 12:35pm

Hi Cherie,

I didn't explain it well, what I mean is, the shamrock is a young sprig of clover, and while all shamrock are basically clover, not all clover are shamrock.  
Only the one with 3 leaves is ever a shamrock. And it's the Shamrock that's the emblem of Ireland, and associated with St. Patrick and Paddy's day, the others are just clover, ( lucky clover).

When I said there is no such thing as a 4 leaf shamrock, there isn't, because if it has 4 leaves or more then it's just clover.

Carol  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_145102
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2017, 11:04am

Thanks all for the interesting information!

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2017, 4:16am

To Cherie,

I hope my reply post to you, re Patty's day and the 4 leaf shamrock didn't appear rude, or like I was preaching etc, or contradicting you. It's been playing on my mind that I may have come across that way. I apologise if it did. I was just trying to help.  

Carol (An Irish Paddy)   Huh

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2017, 12:40pm

Thank you Carol, I appreciate your kindness. Good information to help us all!

I just wish I'd have taken a photo of a Goodwill storefront window I'd seen, not long after I posted here. It was a display of a green t-shirt with a four leaf clover and said Lucky St. Patty's Day - boy, did I look at that differently!

Wink

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2017, 2:22pm

Grin They really got that wrong! There's a lot of it out there. I've even seen Patty's Day on Hallmark cards.  Cheesy
The shamrock/clover thing is a real hit and miss. I mean you'd get a way with the clover, if the card is about the luck of the Irish etc, but if you were to say (Wear the shamrock for St. Patrick's Day) and drew a clover, then that would be a miss.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world and GCU will be ahead of the game now.

Cheers, Carol

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.