Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

So Long, GCU (Read 2305 times)
Dave_344114
GCU Newbies

So Long, GCU
Sep 25th, 2016, 5:26pm

I just closed my account today. I wasn't really selling any cards, and I really didn't expect to, but seriously, guys - 35 cents commission per card? It's not ever worth it to spend the time trying to find "sales tips". Poor documentation, poor commissions, poor (non-existent, as far as I can see) advertising - hasta la vista, baby!

Email   IP Logged
Michael_197150

Re: So Long, GCU
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2016, 6:33pm

It took me a while but I get a nice payment every quarter now. I would say it is worth it in the long run.

Email   IP Logged
Dave_344114
GCU Newbies

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2016, 10:46pm

Quote from Michael_197150 on Sep 25th, 2016, 6:33pm:
It took me a while but I get a nice payment every quarter now. I would say it is worth it in the long run.

Well, good for you! I could very easily be doing something wrong, and am more than willing to admit it... keep up the good work!

Email   IP Logged
dawn_368818
GCU Newbies

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2016, 8:50am

I have worked with the big companies for years, 5% per card is the norm, which works out to be about .15 to .18 cents per card, so .35 cents is really good.  You have to be determined though, and find your niche.  I know how frustrating it is when things aren't selling though, especially after a lot of work.  Best of luck!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2016, 9:12am

Quote from Dave_344114 on Sep 25th, 2016, 10:46pm:
Quote from Michael_197150 on Sep 25th, 2016, 6:33pm:

Well, good for you! I could very easily be doing something wrong, and am more than willing to admit it... keep up the good work!

Selling on a POD site of any kind is not for the impatient  Grin  It takes a long time to build up enough high-quality product in your new account to compete. Stores need to have new content at least once a week, meta-tag data needs to be up to the latest SEO requirements. GCU does an outstanding job of giving the artists every opportunity to get their cards found, both onsite and via external search engines. It's a lot of work, but only long-term determination will bring success, regardless of whether the POD is GCU or any other.  

Dawn makes the point about working with the big guns and art licensing. I too did that and left that world entirely because the earning a living potential of POD sales is much better in some cases and was so in mine.  

Sorry to hear that you did not have the patience to stick it out, but I can almost guarantee that the problems you suffered with no sales was not the fault of GCU.

Good luck!

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2016, 2:10pm

Some great advice here from your fellow artists.

Yes, it takes work, patience and much more than 4 cards in your store.

Our Artist FAQ about earnings is accurate stating:
With standard earnings, artists will earn up to $ 0.35 for each of your paper cards sold. Artists can achieve premium earnings (2x standard earnings) by meeting the Quarterly Earnings Thresholds.

Good luck to you in your other endeavors.  My advice, roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty!

Email   IP Logged
Dave_344114
GCU Newbies

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2016, 4:44pm

Quote from Mindy on Oct 3rd, 2016, 2:10pm:

With standard earnings, artists will earn up to $ 0.35 for each of your paper cards sold. Artists can achieve premium earnings (2x standard earnings) by meeting the Quarterly Earnings Thresholds.

Good luck to you in your other endeavors.  My advice, roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty!  

Just for the heck of it, here's my card shop on another site:

http://www.zazzle.com/graphicsbydave

I think these cards sell for about the same as GCU - the difference is I can set the price by setting my commission and that commission is certainly not "up to 35 cents."

So you see, I am more than willing to "roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty" if there's some benefit for me.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2016, 1:48pm

Quote from Dave_344114 on Oct 3rd, 2016, 4:44pm:
Quote from Mindy on Oct 3rd, 2016, 2:10pm:

Just for the heck of it, here's my card shop on another site:

http://www.zazzle.com/graphicsbydave

I think these cards sell for about the same as GCU - the difference is I can set the price by setting my commission and that commission is certainly not "up to 35 cents."

So you see, I am more than willing to "roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty" if there's some benefit for me.

Great, I wish you great success with your Zazzle store.

A little different on pricing.  GCU single card price is $3.50 with quantity discounts offered so the more cards the shopper buys the more they save.  Looks like you've priced your cards on Zazzle at $4.95.

Lots of differences.  Each artist has to find the right POD site that is a good fit for their style, efforts and expected returns.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.