Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

A Private Design Question (Read 1018 times)
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

A Private Design Question
May 20th, 2016, 2:10am

Hi

I'm designing a custom Christmas card for a friend. It's a photo of her two little doggies.  In Photoshop I have selected out her doggies and replaced the background with a snowy scene (my own photo).  

My concern is that, inspired by how serene the scene looks, my friend asked to have the text 'Snowdrops on noses and warm woollen mittens' on the front, with inside text something like 'Wishing you a Christmas full of your favourite things.  

Although only three of the words are actually the same, it is still very much a play on the words from the song from The Sound of Music. I've tried to look up copyright for the lyrics, or a few words from the lyrics, but haven't found any definitive answers yet.

Could you let me know if I would be able to use this design in my Private gallery for my friend to order from or not?

Many thanks for your help.

Natalie Smiley

P.S. 'Woollen' and 'favourite' are our more awkward way of spelling things over here in the UK. To be honest I prefer the American spelling, but don't tell all my British friends that  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: A Private Design Question
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2016, 7:49am

Hi Natalie, I will pass on my opinion based on how I handle these customer requests.

If this were my friend and my card, I would create the card as she asked - making sure she understands the Intellectual Property concerns and that it's for this card and only this card to send as a personal greeting.  

Upload the card to your Private Gallery and waive review.

As long as this card remains private and for this customer only, I would do it. There is no difference in you creating a one-time card for your friend than there is some crafter sitting at home writing the same words on handmade greetings for family and friends - so I don't see a problem and if it were my request, that's how I would handle it.

Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2016, 7:56am

Hi Doreen,  

Thanks for your reply, as it's a Christmas card though I'm not sure how many copies they will want to buy, would it be an issue doing the design for my Private gallery as you suggest, if they were to buy say 40 or 50 copies or something?  

For all I know they may only be 3, I get so carried away with the design side of things I forget to establish these important facts.   Roll Eyes

The idea for the wording for this particular design only came up some time after I'd done most of the design work.

Natalie Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2016, 8:58am

Quote from Natalie_152060 on May 20th, 2016, 7:56am:
Hi Doreen,

Thanks for your reply, as it's a Christmas card though I'm not sure how many copies they will want to buy, would it be an issue doing the design for my Private gallery as you suggest, if they were to buy say 40 or 50 copies or something?  

For all I know they may only be 3, I get so carried away with the design side of things I forget to establish these important facts.   Roll Eyes

The idea for the wording for this particular design only came up some time after I'd done most of the design work.

Natalie Smiley

It's still personal use, so again, if it were me, I'd do it - If it were me and not a request through GCU where there is a documented conversation, I would send my friend an email stating the conditions of use and IP concerns and ask that she acknowledge via email so that you too have something 'on file' stating she understands this is for sending out personal holiday cards only.  Again, that's me.

Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2016, 9:02am

Awesome, thanks Doreen, yes I'll do that Smiley  To the best of my knowledge this is just for personal use, but I'll make sure and get it in writing.

Thank you so much for your help  Smiley

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.