Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

New free image site no copyright restrictions (Read 2680 times)
Angela_151919
Gold Member
artist

New free image site no copyright restrictions
Feb 11th, 2016, 1:32am

http://negativespace.co/
Maybe there's something here fellow artists can use?  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Re: New free image site no copyright restrictions
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2016, 4:52am

Thanks for sharing, but I will probably pass it by. As a general precaution,  I stay away from MANY art/vector/photo sites, most particularly those that aren't clear about who are the owners of the site, and where they're based. I prefer sites that, among other qualifications, have a posted way to contact them, and a vehicle for reporting copyright violations.  

This site may indeed be fully legit, but one always has to be extremely careful when providing any site with your email address and/or payment information, and accepting their downloads. (Btw, in additional to free photos, this particular site does sell photos and claims they will go to a charity, which is, of course, hard to verify.)

In this case, I'd certainly wait many months to see if it stands the test of time without complaints.  

Overall, I surmise some percentage of art/vector/photo sites serve no purpose but to acquire email addresses for selling to spammers. The trick is figuring out who's a legit and moral art-services provider and who's not. Caveat Emptor!

Email   IP Logged
Angela_151919
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2016, 4:55am

Good advice Stacia, I don't know who owns it either. A link does appear to Dreamstime, but who knows.

Email   IP Logged
Evelyn_142919
artist

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2016, 1:22am

I saved a photo from their Facebook page, uploaded it to Google Images and that led me to Picalls.com. Picalls has a similar website with many of the same photos as NegativeSpace, but their contact info is also nonexistent.  Sad

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2016, 7:48am

Most of the photos on this site are from other legit sites. You are all making the right call ... if there is no authorship and therefore no license to use, it shouldn't be used.

Free does not mean okay for Commercial Use.

Email   IP Logged
Angela_151919
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2016, 6:30am

I agree Doreen, but I don't think they should be advertising any commercial use on the page.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2016, 7:12am

Quote from Angela_151919 on Feb 13th, 2016, 6:30am:
I agree Doreen, but I don't think they should be advertising any commercial use on the page.

I'm agreeing with you and saying no to the site. It's a very common occurrence for sites like this, where the content doesn't belong to them, to advertise Commercial Use is okay - that's why we have to be so careful to look for copyright ownership for the assurance it can be used.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.