Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

"Out of focus" on purpose background (Read 580 times)
Richard_320046
GCU Newbies

"Out of focus" on purpose background
Nov 29th, 2015, 8:20am

Hi,

I was hoping someone could share an example of a card where the foreground subject matter is sharp and the background is blurred/out of focus (on purpose).

I tried the technique out few times, but the cards get declined for being out of focus

I'm assuming there's a track record of potential buyers not liking that look, or just out of style (?)

Merci!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: "Out of focus" on purpose background
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2015, 8:35am

Hello Richard,

GCU has examples of what the review team looks for here:

http://gcucommunity.com/2013/07/01/dash-of-inspiration-image-quality-sharpnesscl arity/

and here is another article on my website:

http://salonofart.weebly.com/resources/using-selective-focus-selectively

As a professional photographer, I don't think it has anything to do with 'being out of style', rather how the focusing techniques are used and whether the end result has a pleasing and professional quality to it.

Hope these articles help!

Email   IP Logged
Ron_196382

Re: "Out of focus" on purpose background
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2015, 8:50pm

Hi Richard,

What you’re describing is called, depth of field, and it will never go out of style. I haven’t taken many photos of late but back in art school, photography was a required course and we spent the whole quarter on, depth of field. Just Google, “depth of field in photography” and you’ll find plenty of resources.

Hope this helps.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.