Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Quality of Target-printed cards? (Read 5082 times)
Pat_248614
GCU Newbies

Quality of Target-printed cards?
Oct 19th, 2015, 4:36am

Hi, I have a client who needs cards ASAP- has anyone used Target as the printer?  How does the quality compare with cards ordered thru GCU?    
Thanks for your opinions-
Pat

Email   IP Logged
Julie_273348

Re: Quality of Target-printed cards?
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2015, 5:21am

I recall seeing a thread on here a while ago from a fellow artist who printed some cards for herself at Target and was extremely unhappy. I think the main thing to be aware of is that Target add a white border around the cards when they print them, which suits some designs better than others.

I believe that thread was within the last year, so hopefully if you search the forum you will be able to find it.

Email   IP Logged
Julie_273348

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2015, 5:28am

Here is that thread http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1428708799

(I checked it, just to be sure I wasn't mis-remembering!)

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2015, 6:14am

If you click on the link labeled "In-Store Pickup at" Target on the home page it will take you to a new window that clearly defines the differences between the two printing. Target utilizes Kodak which places a border around all the cards. Not all Target stores offer the printing services. I'd double check to see if there is a store locally - or have your client do this. It seems like everyone has had different experiences. It totally depends on the store.  In my experience I had to go to a suburban store a few cities away. The printing department didn't even open until noon on a weekday. In fact, the printing department at this particular store was neglected. The printing equipment needed cleaned and the staff needed training. In my case it's just not that convenient. I will also add that it was a couple of years ago.  

I would really double check to see if there is a local store with convenient printing hours as it is different from the main store's hours.

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_205423
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2015, 8:14am

I haven't had cards printed, but my store is horrible. Photos are off center and the color is wrong. I think it depends on the store equipment and staff. Some maybe good, others bad. Just my opinion.

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2015, 10:46am

I have often noticed that I'll make one sale to a customer who has the card printed at Target. Then an hour or so later, I get another Artists Services email that informs me that a bulk order of that same card was purchased and then printed at the same Target. I can only conclude that some customers, before they have Target print their cards, will do a test printing. The printer can then adjust and calibrate the card accordingly. It may be a lot of hassle for a customer to purchase cards in 2 stages, like this, but it is a wise choice when the Target printing is so inconsistent.

Email   IP Logged
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2015, 11:12am

That's interesting, Ramelle. It wouldn't surprise me if some savvy Target photo managers are advising this to their customers as this would protect them from wasted products. Perhaps, it might a good suggestion for GCU to mention on its site as well.

Email   IP Logged
Pat_248614
GCU Newbies

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2015, 1:07pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I passed it on to the client.

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_154091
artist

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2015, 2:31pm

I had one card printed there and was very unhappy as the score line for the fold went straight through and when I opened the card to sign it, it fell apart. Sad

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2016, 6:28pm

You are all correct, the quality of service at each Target location varies greatly.  GCU is quick to take locations offline or walk photo lab staff through simple remedies and push reorders through all in an effort to satisfy customers.  Unfortunately the photo lab departments have a high turnover.

Lisa, you experienced a common problem with the scoring and falling apart.  Some photo labs will mistakenly use perforated card stock.  We are however seeing this less frequently.

When a shopper has the time or is willing to pay a little extra for expedited shipping GCU always recommends ordering directly from GCU for a premium product.

As best we can, the in-store pickup orders are shepherded to result in a satisfied customer.

But for a same day, custom card pickup it is still an excellent option.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.